Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m
Brand Affiliation: None

Pocket board with wood veneer?

Postby kriskris » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:29 am

Question to experienced builders. I am attempting to build my first foilboard with stuff laing around the shop. Board is 32 inch long and 2 and 3/4 inch thick at foil attachement.
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG
It is very light weight surfboard foam and it dents easily. I decided to cut up some cedar veneer 2mm thick to stiffen the deck and just the center part of bottom of the board.(narrow strip with blue tape in background) Most likely I will epoxy veneer with layer of 4 oz fiber glass cloth. I only have 11.8 oz (400mg/m2) carbon twill laying around so I am planning on using just that. I will place 5 inch wide strips of CF lengthwise just the way Tom W does to create a beam.
1/4 then 1/2 and 3/4 length coverage on both sides. Same 11.8 oz twill CF. I know it is not perfect but do not have unidirectional CF. Then I want to cover bord with just one layer overlaping the rail on both sides. Do you guys think that one layer of 11.8 oz cloth on top of glassed veneer should be sufficient?
BDW it will have a cedar box to attach the foil going all the thickness of the board. Also I am using vacuum bagging for this build.
Thanks, Kris

Return to “Gear Builders”