Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cut down a wave windsurf board as a lightwind kitefoil board?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Cut down a wave windsurf board as a lightwind kitefoil board?

Postby merl » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:14 pm

I notice that windsurf wave boards from 10-15 years ago can be picked up for almost nothing. They seem to be around 240 x 50cm. I wonder about the possibility of cutting off the nose and tail to make a lightwind 130cm hydrofoil board for kite. I guess the key issues are
(1) too concave [edit: I mean convex, ie dome shaped] deck shape (2) maybe not flat enough underneath for a plate attachment.

Anyone experimented with this idea?
Last edited by merl on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Re: Cut down a wave windsurf board as a lightwind kitefoil board?

Postby alpaia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 am

Hi windsurf boards could be a good idea, but the core is very low density eps, so you would need to figure out a spot where pvc blocks are already inserted, for your box/mast insert. thickness and rocker would also be a challenge, approx 10-12cm max so twice what you need. rocker is flattish btw footstraps.
May be try to find an old heavy duty / big wave 70L JP australia board or similar, they were thinner and had T-strigers in pvc going into the core.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Re: Cut down a wave windsurf board as a lightwind kitefoil board?

Postby merl » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 am

alpaia wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 am
Hi windsurf boards could be a good idea, but the core is very low density eps, so you would need to figure out a spot where pvc blocks are already inserted, for your box/mast insert. thickness and rocker would also be a challenge, approx 10-12cm max so twice what you need. rocker is flattish btw footstraps.
May be try to find an old heavy duty / big wave 70L JP australia board or similar, they were thinner and had T-strigers in pvc going into the core.
Thanks for the tip. I have indeed been looking at boards of that style at around 70l. I figured you would just carve out a section of the EPS and fill with HD foam or Pauwlonia - or at least a couple of wide stringers with holes drilled and filled with epoxy for the inserts.

Return to “Gear Builders”