Foil kite - repair tips

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
nafets
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil kite - repair tips

Postby nafets » Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 am

Hey Guys,

I have a 15m North foil kite and sadly I made a few ~3mm holes in the canopy. Since patching a foil kite form the inside is rather difficult, if not impossible, I am thinking of my best option to repair them.

Two things come to my mind. One, just use the transparent tear aid I have, or purchase a ripstop tape in the same color and still patch it from the outside only.

Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, what route would you take to repair the kite? I am open to any suggestions.

Best,
Stefan

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Re: Foil kite - repair tips

Postby joriws » Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm

Try to tape inside on higher pressure side. You can take the guts out from any of air vents. You could use plastic card to help align tape. So put your hand inside the kite and go to hole area. Grab card which is outside and with card pull inside out. Now you have nice table to put tape on hole.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm
Try to tape inside on higher pressure side. You can take the guts out from any of air vents. You could use plastic card to help align tape. So put your hand inside the kite and go to hole area. Grab card which is outside and with card pull inside out. Now you have nice table to put tape on hole.
Nice idea with the card. Or even easier - attach the card to the outside with a bit of double sided tape first (not too strong!)

Another tip is 3M Blenderm tape. This is nice for very small repairs and it seems to stick really well.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Herman (Mon May 10, 2021 5:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 am

Hmm, never thought about the card thing, but yeah, that is a great call! Thanks!

I was also contemplating whether to tape it from the inside, which I know is the more important side. There is a way to get through the spot from the clean up vents. My main issue is applying the patches correctly and not sticking some other surface with it. Guess would not to be pretty cautious with it and take my time.

Anyways, great tips overall! I think I'll go that route. Found same color ripstop and will apply it to both sides.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue May 11, 2021 11:51 am

nafets wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 am
Hmm, never thought about the card thing, but yeah, that is a great call! Thanks!

I was also contemplating whether to tape it from the inside, which I know is the more important side. There is a way to get through the spot from the clean up vents. My main issue is applying the patches correctly and not sticking some other surface with it. Guess would not to be pretty cautious with it and take my time.
My tips were what was done back in days when you glued the fabric patch into the kite. So same technique adapted to taping. So take hole area *outside* to kite, so fabric is in reverse. So you don't put sticker inside kite, but glue it in place outside of kite (highlighted your text where I think that you did not understand taking inside out).

I did not quickly find any of my pictures, maybe I have at home. I sketched quickly with PPT.
foil_kite_repair.jpg
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
nafets (Wed May 12, 2021 9:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am

joriws wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:51 am
nafets wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 am

My tips were what was done back in days when you glued the fabric patch into the kite. So same technique adapted to taping. So take hole area *outside* to kite, so fabric is in reverse. So you don't put sticker inside kite, but glue it in place outside of kite (highlighted your text where I think that you did not understand taking inside out).

I did not quickly find any of my pictures, maybe I have at home. I sketched quickly with PPT.
foil_kite_repair.jpg
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, however the issue is that it is not possible to get the kite inside out. The air inlets Sewed with mesh. Only way to get into the kite is through two very small outlets on the trailing edge.

It will be little fiddly process, however I think it can be done.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 pm

nafets wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, however the issue is that it is not possible to get the kite inside out. The air inlets Sewed with mesh. Only way to get into the kite is through two very small outlets on the trailing edge.

It will be little fiddly process, however I think it can be done.
What, no zipper or butt flap?

Return to “Gear Builders”