Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re enforce regular performance short board

Postby daspi » Thu May 27, 2021 9:29 pm

I've been toying with the idea to get a cheap used classic performance short board surfboard and if I like the ride, re enforce it so it would last as a kite surfboard. Is this a valid idea or would I end up with a brick? After a bunch of research, I believe a small surfboard with low volume (>24l) should perform well. So why not give it a shot?

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes

Re: Re enforce regular performance short board

Postby daspi » Sat May 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Never mind, found a tread in the main forum about this. Seems doable. Now just need to find and appropriate board.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat May 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Post a link to the other thread, would ya? I'm curious as I've done it back in the day, but I don't think I've seen that thread.

daspi
Frequent Poster

Postby daspi » Sun May 30, 2021 10:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2396358
They went a bit off topic and started talking about fins. But there is a lot of info on using a regular surfboard for kiting.

daspi
Frequent Poster

Postby daspi » Sun May 30, 2021 10:12 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:04 pm
Post a link to the other thread, would ya? I'm curious as I've done it back in the day, but I don't think I've seen that thread.

May I ask what your experience was with this? I feel many kite wave boards are pretty much performance short board shapes. Maybe latest trend is packing a bit more volume under front foot. Of course kite specific build is a must. I was just curious if a surfboard shaper has a great surfboard shape below 6ft and say below 24l, would it make automatically a great wave board for kitesurfing? Could I simply ask that local shaper to build it stronger and I would have a great board. Or is it worth it buying used short boards and give it a go. If shapes have really been adapted in meaningful ways for kitesurfing, then it would not be worth my time and effort. I'm sure some of you have explored this extensively.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 31, 2021 12:23 am

I like riding strapless on a surfboard, so real surfboards were always attractive to me.

Back when Surftech practically destroyed the surfboard market by flooding the market with cheap product, I went through several of their boards, usually used ones, because they were even cheaper. Boardworks was another company that used a similar sandwich construction, and I had one of those that I also liked a lot.

Earlier models from Surftech held up pretty well for kiting, but with later models I found myself putting my heels through the deck, especially if I tried jumping, 'cause I'm slow and clumsy and tend to land with a lead foot.

So what I did was mask of the deck area, put down layer of 6oz glass on the 45 degree bias, nice and even with the correct amount of resin, then put a dry layer of cork drawer liner (from a home-improvement store, about 2 mm thick or maybe a bit less) and then throw the whole mess into a vacuum bag to cure.

After it cured, use a razor blade to trim back to the masking tape, and presto- reinforced board with no need for messy and short-lasting surf wax.

Of course this is not the most efficient use of added reinforcement on a sandwich construction, but it is cheap and easy and does not add much weight, and it will make the board last much longer.

daspi
Frequent Poster

Postby daspi » Mon May 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Very interesting. This is exactly what I was thinking, just put a layer of glass on where I would possibly stand. Now to the shapes. Can you point out the specific shapes you liked and what kind of riding they were nice for? There has to be a few shapes out there that are particularly good for us kitesurfers. Personally I am looking for a shape that will get going fairly easy but allows rail to rail riding in small to just over head high waves. Something competing with a F-ONE Mitu or Duotone Wam, North Charge or what I use now, Cabrinha Skillit. Not looking for a freestyle shape.

I was looking at a used Infinity Automatic, thought this could work?

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 am

I'm talking about old sandwich construction surfboards, and I don't even know if anyone makes these anymore, because most surfers complained that they were too stiff.

For kiting, they were way more flexible than anything you could get in a kite-specific board, but crazy light and of course way less durable.

If you decide to use my advice, look for a sandwich board, or at the very least choose a board that is made using epoxy rather than polyester resin.

As far as shapes go, the main consideration is rocker.

I'm now on the West coast of Florida and we only rarely get real waves. Usually it's just wind generated chop.

So I always preferred boards with low rocker, because these are faster upwind and generally go just fine on gutless waves.

In real waves, depending on local conditions, you might want lots of rocker to get the best ride on the wave, but it will come with the penalty of not being able to just rip back out upwind unless you are well-powered.

Kite specific surfboards pretty much have the same variations that regular surfboards do: some are designed to be very fast, while others are designed to control power.

whether that power comes from the wave or the kite, it's really just a matter of figuring out what will work well in your local conditions.

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment
Been thanked: 0

Postby JSom » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:58 pm

daspi wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:29 pm
I've been toying with the idea to get a cheap used classic performance short board surfboard and if I like the ride, re enforce it so it would last as a kite surfboard. Is this a valid idea or would I end up with a brick? After a bunch of research, I believe a small surfboard with low volume (>24l) should perform well. So why not give it a shot?
The idea is actually quite good. If you find it attractive, try it. Only, it seems to me, for a start, it is better to rent a board. Suddenly you will not like it, you will not have to think about where to put an unnecessary thing.

daspi
Frequent Poster

Postby daspi » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm on the US East Coast and local shops don't have much if any used short performance boards available. Only option would be ordering it online, most likely coming from California. So I think this exercise might not work out well. AS @JSom said, it might just be another thing in my basement taking on dust. Probably sticking with kite surfboards and just keep trying as many boards as I can get my hands on.

Return to “Gear Builders”