Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Light Wind Twin Tip

Postby AirConnolly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:25 pm

I am looking to build a light wind twin tip similar to the slingshot glide or flysurfer flydoor out of wood. I read through a bunch of old posts, but may have missed some, so please drop the links in here if this is repetitive. Can anyone share plans, pics, and tips for building this style board?

I am looking to build this board to save some money on a light wind setup and general curiosity/interest in board building. What should my budget be for this board? I think I am set on tools and hope to borrow anything I don't already own.

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Re: Light Wind Twin Tip

Postby daspi » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 pm

This has been a joy. Easy and cheap build. viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2389091

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 am

I made a lightwind TT out of marine ply about 15 years ago. It was fantastic but a bit heavy. I had a custom board builder make a copy using snowboard construction. I still have it and it's still fun to ride on the rare times I use it. A friend has the original plywood model and he still uses that.

Essentially it's a slab of marine ply 135cmx50cm. Curved a bit along the edges to make it look a bit kiteboardie, with some pads and straps mounted on it.

It has zero rocker. The natural flex of the ply gives rocker when you load it up.

Keep the board short. Long boards flex too much and that increases the rocker. Rocker is slow. It pushes too much water.

Keep it wide. 47-50cm. The width gives you planing area under your feet where you need it.

Keep the straps in the centreline. When I was building the prototype people told me to offset the straps to the heel side to avoid being overpowered and sliding out. I want to be overpowered. It's a light wind board. I want all the power I can get. You can cope with sliding out by being strong on your technique when carving, landing and jumping. Practice bending your legs and weighting the board as you drop into a carve.

Fins are optional. The prototype had no fins at all. It worked fine. The custom version had small fins. They make things a little more forgiving of technique mistakes. They don't help with upwind performance. That has more to do with technique and setting the rail.

vanart
Medium Poster

Postby vanart » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Here is the board i use:

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:21 pm

Do a plywood board and ride it until you will move on to foiling. Now I foil when it's light. Hardly ever use a 12m anymore due to foiling with the 10m kite. Don't spend much on a light wind board. Most folks won't use them for very long. It get's boring after a while. BUT, they do get you riding when you wouldn't otherwise. Go build one. The feeling of riding when no one else is on your own cheap board is priceless.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:33 am

The door boards can be a lot of fun in hatteras in the really shallow stuff in the sound. I wouldn't go there without one. Its fun to rig up when all the posers are waiting for wind and you take off upwind and get some decent spins etc. Then they all come out and die. I don't go bigger than 12m as well. I know foils totally rule when its deep enough. My goto door is 145x45 and 2cm rocker. I made bigger but doesn't gain so much. The low rocker and concave rail is what gives you the bite you need.

Return to “Gear Builders”