Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do you add stitching to sleeves of kite line?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How do you add stitching to sleeves of kite line?

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:50 am

artificialname wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:18 pm
Why do manufacturers always sleeve this point if splices are stronger?
Generally they don't. Obviously some brands might, but none of the brands I use do.

The only place I know where the line needs to be sleeved is where it loops directly onto the metal trim bracket. That's a hard, relatively sharp surface that can rub on the line and could wear through.

Everywhere else you have the loop of the kite line, usually 1.5mm, looping onto a thick pigtail, which is 3mm or so. Most are loop-loop connections which replaces the bit that would have been sleeved. The radius is quite high. There's no movement. There's no real possibility of wear.

Don't take the word of some random person on the internet. Study all the connections. Look at all the lines you can. Watch videos on how to do all this. Try it out. Practice all the different types of connections and splices and stuff. Develop your own level of expertise.

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby supachip1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:41 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:16 am
Why are you sleeving lines? There's very few places where you want sleeving. All I can think of is the loop terminating at a trim bracket. Everything else would end on a pig tail which is thick dyneema and doesn't need sleeving.

If you sleeve lines you need to sew the two sides together with a zigzag stitch. If you can do that you should have the skill to tell us what to be doing. You're far better off learning to splice. It's easier, neater and stronger.

You can stick a couple of pieces of cardboard to the plate of a sewing machine to hold the lines straight and together. Get a bit of practice then go for it. It works best if you sew smoothly with a bit of speed. If you sew too slow it will tangle and you'll have to unpick and start again.

Anyway, you sew everything in kiting with bonded polyester thread. It's also known as Dabond. Google it. It's very strong and has UV inhibitors. The V number indicates the thickness. I use V69 for most things. I used to use V32 because I got the end of a reel from a sail maker.

If you can't/won't get Dabond then polyester upholstery thread is strong and won't rot. It doesn't have UV stabilisers.
you seem to know your sewing, can you also help me with a bit of info. i have sewing machine given to me by a friend but don't really know much about threads & needles, are the 'V' thread universal? i am in Thailand and struggling to find the right stuff, i presume 69 & 32 are diameters are these the 2 common sizes? how does the sizing work? same thread for the canopy as for lines? also how do i size the needles, i have the manual but apart form that it'e trial & error learning. i've figured out the widths/lengths ok but struggling to use a thicker thread, the top keeps snapping, my friends said adjust the tension on the machine but same thing happens... any tips or place to look. cheers

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:09 pm

https://www.sailrite.com/Thread-and-Nee ... tion-Guide

I use Schmetz Universal 110/18 needles. They have a bigger hole than standard needles. I have sewed a heap of stuff with standard needles and just accepted the thread breaks sometimes.

I just trawl through the internet and search for stuff and when I find what I need I buy things. I bought a 1000m spool of V69 that will last me a lifetime of repairs and messing about. I've done a heap of modifications on board bags (shortening, reshaping, making foil covers, adding handles). It's all done on a domestic sewing machine. Sometimes it takes a little thought to work out how to sew something.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
supachip1 (Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Gear Builders”