PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Wing_Bot - Foil optimisation / design software

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:32 am

Myself and SuperTed, decided a excellent free / hobby use hydrofoil design / optimisation program is needed in the world.

We finally got to a Version 1 of the foil design / optimisation program that is fairly clean and easy to use. Give it a download and try at the below link.

Wing_Bot V1.0

Happy playing / designing.

We've got more ideas for small optimisation wins, so more to come. Also trying out if a subreddit (r/Wing_Bot) makes any sense. Come on over and chat about foil design. Hopefully it can become a good foil design focussed community there.

There are plenty of people that would be able to build beautiful hydrofoil wings, but might just be held up by the doubt of wing profile selection.
You often see topics pop up discussing one or two random profiles, that got grabbed from somewhere. Well I would like to see more people making good (and beautiful) backyard wings.
This hydrofoil design software applies uses practical (knowable) input values and using a powerfull optimisation routine,
selects the best wing profile for your specific hydrofoil (Lowest drag and valid working envelope for the whole selected speed range).
I have had a lot of fun building and riding my own wings. It is a great feeling riding your handmade design that also rips.

Calculation process:
There are methods that can optimise a airfoil for a single speed and load condition. This software is a step above, by optimising over a entire speed range (as required by real world hydrofoil use).
By playing with inputs, the designer can see the effects produced by changing aspect of the hydrofoil. Such as wingspan, area, rider weight etc...

Cheers,
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post (total 3):
direnc (Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:19 am) • nemoz (Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:18 pm) • isandoval (Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:12 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Re: Wing_Bot - Foil optimisation / design software

Postby Nelis » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am

Not into designing wings yet, but wanted to show my appreciation for this effort. Looks very nice (so yeah, installed it, it works, it's not malware).
These users thanked the author Nelis for the post:
PrfctChaos (Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:08 pm

Good stuff! I've only tried the packaged up exe on 2 computers, so glad to hear it's working on a few more. I didn't even stop to think about the malware angle. LOL, there might be a couple of people hesitant to hit the go button on a 120mb exe file. Oh well, fortune favours the brave.

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm

I tried it on my computer, and it works without an issue. Thank you for providing such a valuable tool. Did notice that the best profiles the software offers are different than the past. The mh airfoils no longer seem to come on top for many wings.
These users thanked the author direnc for the post:
PrfctChaos (Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:49 pm)

nemoz
Medium Poster

Postby nemoz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:16 pm

Tested and worked on 2 laptop... still need to look at it in detail... great job!
These users thanked the author nemoz for the post:
PrfctChaos (Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:49 pm)

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster

Postby PrfctChaos » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:28 am

direnc wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm
Did notice that the best profiles the software offers are different than the past. The mh airfoils no longer seem to come on top for many wings.
I found it interesting as well, how the change from Ncrit of 9 (The old results were all for N crit 9 polars) to Ncrit of 2 affected the success of certain sections in the que (Notably H105 clearly does well in wide range of wings for this low N crit selection, the conditions it was mostly designed for I believe. A credit to the profile designer T.Speer).

It makes me think some deeper diving into what conditions would be most suitable to a Ncrit of 2 or 3 or 4, could be useful, since it has a fairly sizable impact on results. I'm having a look around for some good experimental results, for water hydrofoils in different conditions related to transition, if anyone knows of good papers please feel free to share. A future release of Wing_Bot could likely support multiple Ncrit selections. In the mean time, choosing sections that work well at low N_crit values give conservative results (Transition triggered early), they will also work well in very "good" conditions, one might just be leaving some possible extra gains on the table.

Return to “Gear Builders”