Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Re: Bar build; critique me please!

Postby Nelis » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm

alpaia wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 pm
Merl have you used this type of splice based trim system ? I attempted one but it felt difficult to adjust.
I remember a older post where someone tried adding a second mini rope to pull the splice and allow to let go off the trim.

Nelis that is a very neat looking bar hope the textile flagout proves reliable over time, may be worth checking it regularly ?
If I understand on the infexion QR the safety line "knot" only has to go through a ring when you release, not a 6mm hole through a long QR,
so you can make a thicker knot without the risk of having it slipping through the trimmer bracket ?
I will definately check regularly.

I made it as Evan 'prescribed'; meaning I thickened the spliced loop of the 2.5mm sk99 flagout line that runs through the bar locally with some 1.6mm fly line by splicing it in as core. Only a couple of cm of rope so the larkshead would become thick enough to not slip through the interlocked loops.

Indeed, the knot goes through a 12mm ring or so, so shouldn't be an issue.
These users thanked the author Nelis for the post:
alpaia (Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby merl » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:40 am

alpaia wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 pm
Merl have you used this type of splice based trim system ? I attempted one but it felt difficult to adjust.
I remember a older post where someone tried adding a second mini rope to pull the splice and allow to let go off the trim.
Yes I use this on a couple of bars. The main thing here is that if you need to adjust frequently (e.g. for a large twin skin foil) then you want to use a cleat. But for kites that hardly ever need adjusting then this makes sense.

Releasing the splice (lengthening the main lines) is easy. I put a knot above the spliced section to make it easier. If you pull the know downwards then it slips (lengthens) easily. I have attached a pigtail here with a small plastic ball to make it easy to reach, but it is not really necessary.

Shortening the splice can be more tricky. The key here is not to make the splice section too long otherwise there is too much friction and you need two hands to shorten it (not a big deal but not super convenient). I have not experimented enough to know how short you can go. Maybe 60mm is a good length to try in 5mm rope.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks I will try ti tinker along those lines - the pulling above to release is a good idea.
I would use that for kites that don't need regular trim adjuustment, with a long throw bar.

Looked into the "constrictor" textile cleat used for sailing by cousin trestec, really interesting.
I guess the type of sleeve used is super important, they use a mix of technora that has more friction than dyneema.
The weave is important too, I tried with long and short 5mm dyneema, and with 6mm 24braids dyneema sleeve, results were totally different...

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:51 am

Nelis wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm

I made it as Evan 'prescribed'; meaning I thickened the spliced loop of the 2.5mm sk99 flagout line that runs through the bar locally with some 1.6mm fly line by splicing it in as core. Only a couple of cm of rope so the larkshead would become thick enough to not slip through the interlocked loops.

Indeed, the knot goes through a 12mm ring or so, so shouldn't be an issue.
Nice clean setup!

Currently I use an even thicker loop on the flagout bungee with 2x 1.6mm inside a 1.6mm line (splice inside splice) to eliminate it pulling through the soft bracket as even the bigger loop has no problem fitting through the 3x15mm D-ring used on the bottom of the depower cord and Clamcleat the guide the bungee.

It would indeed be too thick to fit through a smaller hole in a chickenloop.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
FS Soul 10m
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:59 pm

@evan thanks for the compliment, and hope you are recovering well by the way..

I tested the bar this week, it held up fine. Although the 13m lines were quite intense on a 4m Peak. Time to put long lines on there, to increase the powerstroke of that kite too. Or I'm thinking maybe build up a new bar for it with a BTB cleat, or even none. Would you guys think 1.1mm lines would be enough for a Peak4 4m on a foil? I guess so right? 1.6mm seems like a waste of strong line and weight.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:30 pm

1.1mm sk99 300 should be more than enough, even for boosting. There are still major brands that use this kind of effective strength on their megaloop bars....

If you are looping or riding with crossed lines I would suggest to make the lower few meters (where the back lines rub against each other) from a stronger line.
If the lines are short enough you can also make a very long splice to reinforce the lower part of the front lines, depending on how far up the back lines cross.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
FS Soul 10m
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi!

I made a next iteration bar. Primarily for foiling but wanted to retain trim feature and full flag out though. So it has all that, but moved the trim to below the bar and create a light and clean setup above the bar.

New 17m SK99 1.6 powerlines, old Naish steering lines and leaders, 45cm F-one bar, clamcleat with 4mm dyneema and offcourse the rings for Infexion QR interface.
55509958-F1B4-4C4D-9AE4-C604A9331443.jpeg
075D7886-E5FD-4D3F-A043-CC05064CBB5D.jpeg
EE87E58F-DCE3-495B-8C50-971110177E15.jpeg
8ECE88DE-E52D-4190-B39F-F6249AC7F630.jpeg

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:02 pm

Thanks for sharing the build nelis, and advice from expérience evan.
The textile trimmer bracket with a ticker knot is smart and nice,
made possible as the safety runs through a 15mm ring on the infexion qr system.

Are you happy with that cleat below the bar ? I wonder how practical it is ?
Could the trim rope wrap around the QR when you are trimmed ?

Nelis
Medium Poster
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
FS Soul 10m
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:29 am

I tried it on the beach yesterday for the first time. It’s not practical enough to use while riding. Laying in the water or on the beach it works.

Honestly it’s not intended to be used regularly, the sheeting range on this is huge, the kite is fully depowered sheeted out.

But it’s cool to have such a minimalistic feel yet retaining all functions. This 45cm bar on my new 8m Alpha v2 feels amazing!

Return to “Gear Builders”