Kiterisland1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

PET Foam for Foilboard

Postby Kiterisland1 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:32 pm

Hey guys,
Made a 120x47cm foilboard last year and it works fantastic. It is very heavy though at 9lbs. Now I know a bit more and like the shape I am going to invest in some better building materials to make a light board 110x46cm.

I was looking at 3/4 H60 Divinycell pvc foam but can only buy expensive 4’x8’ sheets of it.

So after looking around PET foam has caught my attention. I was thinking of maybe using that in 5lb density with 2 x 5.8oz plain carbon top and bottom, with no stringer. Do you think that this would work out, or does anyone have any knowledge on PET foam? This is the foam I was looking at…

https://shop.compositescanada.com/#/pro ... 80-075PL48

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Re: PET Foam for Foilboard

Postby BalsaMichel » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:50 pm

Hey,

I´m building sandwich-lids in small series with Carbon and PET-foam as core. I´m using this one (does look like it´s not available in your country, so only for comparison) :

https://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/en/co ... Core-1686/

What I can tell you is that it has quite good material properties for it´s price tag. Resin sticks good to the core, good compressive strenght, easy to mill and grind.

My only complaint up to now is that it´s hard to suck onto a vacuum-table because of the hexagonal slots in it; I always have to put paper sheets on top to make it working. The slots might also be not helpfull if you would like to bend a plate too much. You will need some extra resin to fill them if you are working with a "resin excess process" (like me, pressing process with car lifters). Can´t see clearly on the photo of your supplier if there are slots like in my plates or if it´s only some kind of hexagonal texture, maybe there are more infos on the DIAB manufacturer website.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Regards
Micha
These users thanked the author BalsaMichel for the post:
Kiterisland1 (Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Gear Builders”