Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Going high-aspect- Axis compatible wingsets

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Going high-aspect- Axis compatible wingsets

Postby fluidity » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 am

I quite like the Axis mast and fuse design, though I think the metalurgy could be improved with a bit more copper in the Aluminium alloy blend. Less corrosion resistance, more spring?

Anyway, some of my recent creations and works in progress:
Attachments
snap2.PNG
1210sqcmproj area trio.PNG
20211230_140549.jpg
1636840894579.jpg
1640996640734.jpg
1640996592563.jpg
1640806894292.jpg

heavyweather
Rare Poster

Re: Going high-aspect- Axis compatible wingsets.

Postby heavyweather » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:01 pm

Do you ride the 3D printed stabilizers? How are they holding up? What are the specs and do you feel a difference riding them?

I just finished my mold for a GONG compatible FOne stab. Just working on the mold for the Gravity 2200 wing for the GONG fuse.
I realized that I have no way of adapting the AOA with the sleeve design. Might print an adapter that lets me alter the angle of the stab.
Attachments
16416648128217654859705266280336.jpg

heavyweather
Rare Poster

Postby heavyweather » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:34 pm

Also a design would be nice where the stab is rounded where it meets the fuse so you can swivel it to any angle. Bonus if it could be locked toolless.
Think I saw design on YouTube where you could alter the AOA on the stab with a switch. Can't remember the brand but they were new.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:16 pm

heavyweather wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:01 pm
Do you ride the 3D printed stabilizers? How are they holding up? What are the specs and do you feel a difference riding them?

I just finished my mold for a GONG compatible FOne stab. Just working on the mold for the Gravity 2200 wing for the GONG fuse.
I realized that I have no way of adapting the AOA with the sleeve design. Might print an adapter that lets me alter the angle of the stab.
I have a range. One CNC cut ply, thick, 1200mm wide 2650sq CM foil I learned on.
One 3D printed core, 1850 Sq cm, composite sheathed.
Several stabilisers, composite sheathed.
One full carbon from CNC mould. About 1400sq cm, monofoil, swept, wavy front on profile.

Best to print no more than 0.15mm layer height, cubic infill, around 30-50% fill with enlarged mounting holes to permit epoxy and fibre fillling of mounting bolts area if you are going to sheath a 3D printed model. Higher fill rate for thin wings, if your slicer can do it, set the cubic infill for double lines style for better sealing. (I think Cura can do this)

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:18 pm

heavyweather wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:34 pm
Also a design would be nice where the stab is rounded where it meets the fuse so you can swivel it to any angle. Bonus if it could be locked toolless.
Think I saw design on YouTube where you could alter the AOA on the stab with a switch. Can't remember the brand but they were new.
Best one I saw for this was some UK / States? brand, the stab has an arc on it's underside with ridges, mates to the same underneath. Rock it back, forwards in the ark to change the angle and secure. Only they should have drilled, tapped right through, only had short bolts that stripped.

heavyweather
Rare Poster

Re: Going high-aspect- Axis compatible wingsets

Postby heavyweather » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:47 pm

That could be done.
Next project. 3D printed stab extension with rounded mounting surface. Bolts right through. Stabilizer printed solid around the mounting holes and high infill for the rest.
Completely from Carbon filament.
A little sanding and it should be good to go.

heavyweather
Rare Poster

Re: Going high-aspect- Axis compatible wingsets

Postby heavyweather » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:00 pm

Found it again. There's an Instagram video some way down on the page where they show it.

https://www.indefoil.com/
These users thanked the author heavyweather for the post:
fluidity (Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Gear Builders”