Ideas or Suggestions for Wing Rebuild

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
RTL78901
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 141
Local Beach: Atlanta
Favorite Beaches: Various spots at our local lake. OBX and Jekyll Island
Gear: F one Rocket Air, Fanatic Aero 2000 foil, Naish S26 and slingshot wings, Peak 4 5m, Pansh Genesis 3m, 6m, Flexifoil kite buggy, Peter Lynn Kite Monohull kite boat, many self made traction kites including single skin NPW's, single skin foils, close cell foil kites, and my own designs. Various windsurf sails and Exocet RF81 and ISups.
Brand Affiliation: None

Ideas or Suggestions for Wing Rebuild

Postby RTL78901 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:47 pm

I have an 4m inflatable (Alibaba) wing with a bad strut bladder. It is well built and lasted through a lot of abuse so I'm not complaining. My attempt to fix the bladder didn't pan out and getting a new seems unlikely so I'm wondering about doing something different with the wing. The wing itself is fine. I have made a lot of kites (NPW's, even a couple closed cell foils, a few single skin foils and some designs of my own) so I can sew pretty well.

One idea I've got is to replace the strut with a long carbon tube (or a paddle) like this guy did when he built a wing from scratch. His idea is a lot like the Duotone. Figuring out an attachment to the wing seems fairly complicated.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index ... c=35471.15

Another related idea is just to gin up some bridles and build a rib like used in single skin foils and attach the carbon tube to it.

Finally - a wing with no strut starts look a lot like a no strut kitesurf kite.....

Anyway - I'm looking for idea any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in the US, and can't seem to find anyone that does custom bladders. If anyone knows where to look let me know.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Ideas or Suggestions for Wing Rebuild

Postby Trent hink » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:10 pm

Did you try airtimekite.com?

Shouldn't be too hard to find something that will fit.

Bladders are pretty stretchy, and all they do is hold air. The cloth making up the strut holds all the pressure and force.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
RTL78901 (Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:49 am

For custom bladders try Bladder Man at http://www.kitebladder.com/current/. You can either send him the bladder and he will repair it or you may have to take some measurements and send them to him for a new one.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
RTL78901 (Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RTL78901
Rare Poster
Gear: F one Rocket Air, Fanatic Aero 2000 foil, Naish S26 and slingshot wings, Peak 4 5m, Pansh Genesis 3m, 6m, Flexifoil kite buggy, Peter Lynn Kite Monohull kite boat, many self made traction kites including single skin NPW's, single skin foils, close cell foil kites, and my own designs. Various windsurf sails and Exocet RF81 and ISups.

Postby RTL78901 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:12 pm

Thanks @JakeFarley. I've tried email for Bladderman a few times but no answer. I was wondering if he was still in business. I'll try his phone on Monday.

RTL78901
Rare Poster

Postby RTL78901 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:26 pm

Good news: I did get in touch with the Bladderman by calling the number listed on his web page. My old bladder is on its way to his shop so he can give me an estimate on making a new one.

Return to “Gear Builders”