Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Single line flag conversion for OR Fusion bar

Postby edt » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:30 pm

If you're making your own Frankenstein bar first things first!! Learn how to splice. This allows you to convert all your lines from sleeved to spliced. It's an easy conversion cut all the sleeves off make a spliced loop the lines will be about 6 inches or 15cm shorter that's all. If you're making a Frankenstein bar trust me you will end up splicing all sorts of things so it's a skill you need. After you learn that skill just convert it to a modern style low v single line flagging bar. You don't need to buy a fid just use whatever you have laying around the house I use a broken bicycle spoke others use an old guitar string

Benson
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 57 kg
Gear: 2013 Slingshot Asylum 141
2013 Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 9.5
2013 Ocean Rodeo Fusion
2013 Dakine Pyro
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Benson » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:27 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:58 am
The handshake knot will be big enough, but maybe too big to jam in the stopper? If the handshake jams in the splitter block (jams but still pulls out under flagging tension) it will have less tangle tendency with slack line. Not so significant if it is a floating stopper ball that is going to run slack in any case.

If I was a beginner not self launching but hoping to re ride in the water after a release I would choose a mini5th rig&kite over a single line flag. Even more so if the choice was a single line flag on a kite with roll over bridle. Once you have had some lessons, buddy up with an experienced rider who can check and tune your old gear and go ride!!!!

As a beginner for death loop or being completely overpowered release qr asap, release everything if it does not stop. [If I am a downwind bystander I would rather be hit by a released kite than one powered and looping……]

Before you start modifying gear it might be wise to get more experience. You must also understand how to tune bars and kites before you modify so that you can check your work and appreciate what is critical to success!!
The Ozone stopper ball has a large socket about 10mm diameter.
https://www.kitesurfing-shop.co.uk/buy/ ... all-760493

I've got a lesson scheduled for next week.

Benson
Rare Poster
2013 Ocean Rodeo Fusion
2013 Dakine Pyro

Postby Benson » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:38 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:30 pm
If you're making your own Frankenstein bar first things first!! Learn how to splice. This allows you to convert all your lines from sleeved to spliced. It's an easy conversion cut all the sleeves off make a spliced loop the lines will be about 6 inches or 15cm shorter that's all. If you're making a Frankenstein bar trust me you will end up splicing all sorts of things so it's a skill you need. After you learn that skill just convert it to a modern style low v single line flagging bar. You don't need to buy a fid just use whatever you have laying around the house I use a broken bicycle spoke others use an old guitar string
I tried splicing an eye in some 8-strand 1.18mm micro cord (nylon/polyester). I tapered down to 4 strands as described in the Samson Class I instructions. I can get a sewing needle or a guitar string through the braid, but the braid doesn't expand enough to let the end through if it's taped or threaded on a needle or wire. I've got 3mm Amsteel coming in the mail, which should work better. Maybe I can find some old lines to practice on.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:30 pm

You can't splice 8 strand unfortunately you want 12 strand. I didn't realize it was 8 strand

Benson
Rare Poster
2013 Ocean Rodeo Fusion
2013 Dakine Pyro

Postby Benson » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:46 am

The only size of Amsteel that is 8 strand is 2.5mm. All the other sizes are 12 strand so I should be good to go.

Return to “Gear Builders”