Tona board
Liquid Force Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pocket board or surfboard graveyard?

Postby krivo » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:14 am

Hi Guys,

A complete board builder noobie question here hope you can direct me or give some good advise.

I've broken my surf Longboard in half and now hoping to convert the nose into a 95cm hydrofoil pocketboard.

Idea is to seal the back with glass and drill the holes for mast mounting through the deck (fill up holes with Qcell and screw in after)

I'm concerned it will not hold the mast and I'll end up losing my foil.

What are your thoughts? And do you think I'll need to reinforce it some way? Or just bin it?
Attachments
20220605_111105.jpg

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Pocket board or surfboard graveyard?

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:58 pm

Should work, but it will almost certainly break without reinforcement:

1.) the holes for foil need to be well reinforced. Drill them over-sized (0.5 inch minimum diameter) and go all the way to, but not through top deck. Fill with epoxy, and when they are cured, drill them out to size of screws. The idea is that the stress of the foil is not transmitted to weak surfboard foam, but to strong plugs of epoxy. For good measure, maybe make a few more plugs around where foil goes (don’t drill these out) just to get more material there. These holes must go all the way to the fiberglass on the deck, but if they pierce it (even a tiny bit) it is a lot more of a hassle to fill them since epoxy finds any hole to flow through. I drill the last centimeter by spinning the drill bit between my fingers (the foam cuts very easily).

2.) a few layers of carbon for a patch where the foil attaches, and probably some carbon patches on deck where you will stand

3.) unidirectional carbon along length of board. Just a few inches wide down the center of board should be fine. I would do bottom and top surface. This makes the board stiff from front to back foot, so you can transmit pressure from front foot to foil.

4.) personally, I would install threaded inserts into the board (use 316 stainless), though it is a pain to do so, and not worth it for a beater board to practice on.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pocket board or surfboard graveyard?

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:36 pm

Surfboard graveyard.. too thick for a pocket board imho :roll:
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
kiter222 (Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:32 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Gear Builders”