Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

Can I make knots on a bridle line?

Postby Kitedicted » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm

So the 2021 pivots come with an optional shortened bridle setting on one part of the front bridles. I really like it and want to add this to my 2020 8m pivot.

I am wondering if it's safe to shorten the bridle segment by making a knot or two in the bridle line? Or should I order custom length bridle segment? Will the bridle snap with a knot on it?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Can I make knots on a bridle line?

Postby edt » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:10 pm

bridles are typically either cored or 3mm dyneema so they are overstrength enough. Go ahead and knot it. But never knot a flying line those will snap. You need the lines to be either 2x or more over strength or have a sheath to knot it and bridles typically are. Some bridles are not, you can take a look if it's 12 strand line that's the same size as your flying lines you can't knot it for instead old 5 line north kites before 2016, but that's pretty rare.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Can I make knots on a bridle line?

Postby SMJ » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:51 am

Yep, you sure can. In fact, this is how some kite manufactures tune their bridles prior to releasing for mass production. I believe I read somewhere that Jesse actually won 2020 KOTA on a knotted bridle Orbit.

Return to “Gear Builders”