Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sleeving kite lines

Postby alpaia » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm

Hi indeed you are trying to keep this sleeving post going by any means :naughty:

The answer is in the question some double braided rope have a tightly woven cover,
And are impossible to splice - like I had some cousin rope with technora sleeve that was stiff and not spliceable.

The manufacturer should give this indication, or try to push a short section of the rope btw two hands,
If it goes accordéon and the sleeve is a bit lose that is ok to splice, if stiff it will not work

The double braid splice technique works with big enough diameters like over 5 6 mm,
As I said I tried with kite line and sleeve it is a royal pain in the neck and works (see earlier post) but a waste of time

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sleeving kite lines

Postby azoele » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:38 pm

alpaia wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm
Hi indeed you are trying to keep this sleeving post going by any means :naughty:
Not really :wink:
But the video I found seemed very interesting to share
The answer is in the question some double braided rope have a tightly woven cover,
And are impossible to splice - like I had some cousin rope with technora sleeve that was stiff and not spliceable.

The manufacturer should give this indication, or try to push a short section of the rope btw two hands,
If it goes accordéon and the sleeve is a bit lose that is ok to splice, if stiff it will not work

The double braid splice technique works with big enough diameters like over 5 6 mm,
As I said I tried with kite line and sleeve it is a royal pain in the neck and works (see earlier post) but a waste of time
I had seen your work, did not realize you did this technique. Though you succeeded in the usual (non locking) brummel. I tried to replicate it immediately after seeing it, and failed, so while cursing at my poor craftmanship, I also complimented you :D :thumb:

The second reason why I posted is that the lines I am using for trim on some bars are the core (sk78) of these sleeved lines. The manufacturer gives breaking strength for the whole package (1250kg), but clarified to me that without the external cover the breaking load will be "somewhat less", but without further detail.
Hence, the curiosity on whether others had stumbled on this issue.

The forum is a huge (and rare) source of useful information :thumb:

Return to “Gear Builders”