Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
chaosgate
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Sonic3
Brand Affiliation: None

Handle for Trim System

Postby chaosgate » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:28 am

For those who've built their own rigging and/or have experience with lots of bars, what has been your experience with the different ways to finish the end of the trim rope?

Normal commercial bars usually have a handle at the end of the trim strap, and a bungee inside to keep the line short, but the trim range is usually very low (maybe 10-20cm), so it's not that useful compared to sheeting in/out.

Some race bars just have a long string with a knot or ball at the end (such as the flysurfer race bar), but in my experience the line ends up wrapping around the depower line as soon as you do anything besides traveling in a straight line.

The F-One Foil bar has a ring around the depower line, which probably solves the line wrapping issue, but I wonder if the depower is still smooth and doesn't get tangled. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm trying to find the "best" way to finish my current bar that allows for a lot of trim range, but doesn't result in tangles.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Handle for Trim System

Postby evan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:39 am

Fone solution is dangerous, the loose loop can wrap around the bar or harness hook when trimmed fully.

And indeed, the long loose rope can be annoying, that's why most keep it in one of their hands constantly.

On our Infexion bars we stiffened the trim line in such way that it is still flexible enough to feel like a normal rope but automatically springs back straight when wrapped around the bar or leader lines so it can't get stuck anymore.

On the freeride bars we keep the loose end just long enough to grab, like 10-15cm. Combined with the stiffened trim line it is the most elegant solution compared to a heavy handle on a bungee.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
chaosgate (Thu May 11, 2023 11:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:30 pm

I have only seen the stuff already mentioned and I don’t think there is a miracle solution out there. If you want a trim that feels smooth it needs to be 3or4 to one with a good pulley or slider system and positive cleat, but this means handling a long tail, hence race bar handling techniques. It just comes with the territory of big foil or LEI kites. Personally I would sooner have a free end to handle rather than the risk of a droopy loop as mentioned above. On the bright side you may find you trim less as you gain experience depending on your riding style. Small kites often don’t even need trim if you use a large bar throw imho.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:38 pm

chaosgate wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:28 am
Some race bars just have a long string with a knot or ball at the end (such as the flysurfer race bar), but in my experience the line ends up wrapping around the depower line as soon as you do anything besides traveling in a straight line.
On a race kite with race bar, you have to work with depower all the time, the line is long enough to reach the bar and hold the end in your hand. It also gets extremely long because of the ratio is bigger than 2:1 on most race bars.

I just let some line end "tangle". Nothing at the end, in my experience any kind of ball/weight at the end will only add "swing mass" which can cause tangles. Yes, the line will sometimes wind around the depower-line, but I just grab it at the adjuster and can pull it out in case I need to operate it. I am happy with that, it is very clean and I never got a tangle or any other problem with that.
Capture.PNG
- Oliver
Last edited by Smeagle on Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post:

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:09 pm

I have 2 old Liquid Force bars that have velcro on the handle and velcro on the side of the cleat you stick the handle on the cleat it works but most times I don't bother doing it.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:08 am

The most practical i did on diy bar was a sheeted depower rope with a spliced loop at the end.
Like evan said it is stiff and has no weight so it does not tend to wrap around the rest.

Return to “Gear Builders”