Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Replace a Crossbow 13... with what?

Forum for all hooked tricks
Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replace a Crossbow 13... with what?

Postby Randahl » Mon May 19, 2014 7:18 pm

I have an '08 13m Crossbow which was my first kite, bought used a couple of years ago. I have acquired other kites since, but this kite has been my go-to kite. It has finally gotten to the point where there is more repair tape than canopy. (not really, but I ran out of kite-aid tape in my latest repair and I was wondering how far I should take this) I have flown other Switchblades of the same vintage, and they are alright. The main thing I love about my crossbow vs. my other kites is the jumps. I feel like it floats a lot longer. Now I am not versed in the history of every kite, so I was looking on this forum to see what the original design intent for the crossbow was. I don't know if it was supposed to be a jumper, a racer, etc. It seems higher aspect than my switchblades.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement, (not new, what am I made of, money?), like a '11-'13 year model for my 13m. I was thinking a 14m. Something that boosts, something that turns. (I know high A/R kites float, but maybe don't turn) 13m seemed like an odd size, like a racing size. This would be to take out with the twin tip. I mostly spend my time edging upwind so I can try jumping as high as I can downwind. I am not a wakestyle type, I can't do complicated inverts and spins.

I would probably just use my Blade Unibar. Do they even make bars with 2:1 anymore? My switchblades have them, I don't like them as much as the 1:1 bar.

Just a good solid kite, people. I think the crossbow was (or maybe I think that because its all I know), just need a replacement.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Replace a Crossbow 13... with what?

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Can you test some kites?

Nothing under an 18m will truly work well for AS. Anything above 18m works well. There are some !7m's on the water that people say fly well but I have not tested them...

I'm 80k.... I started at 14m then 16m and now fly a 19m and 15m as my main kites.

For me @80k & 19m with 16-20kns is just a dream come true.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 20, 2014 1:57 am

Eventually, I'll have to make a similar choice... Airstyle isn't a priority for me but good boosts and upwind ability are. I've been thinking:

Switch Nitro3 14m
North Rebel 14m
Naish Park 14m
Cabrinha Switchblade 14m
Ocean Rodeo Razor 12m...

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Tue May 20, 2014 3:50 am

Randahl wrote:I have an '08 13m Crossbow which was my first kite, bought used a couple of years ago. I have acquired other kites since, but this kite has been my go-to kite. It has finally gotten to the point where there is more repair tape than canopy. (not really, but I ran out of kite-aid tape in my latest repair and I was wondering how far I should take this) I have flown other Switchblades of the same vintage, and they are alright. The main thing I love about my crossbow vs. my other kites is the jumps. I feel like it floats a lot longer. Now I am not versed in the history of every kite, so I was looking on this forum to see what the original design intent for the crossbow was. I don't know if it was supposed to be a jumper, a racer, etc. It seems higher aspect than my switchblades.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement, (not new, what am I made of, money?), like a '11-'13 year model for my 13m. I was thinking a 14m. Something that boosts, something that turns. (I know high A/R kites float, but maybe don't turn) 13m seemed like an odd size, like a racing size. This would be to take out with the twin tip. I mostly spend my time edging upwind so I can try jumping as high as I can downwind. I am not a wakestyle type, I can't do complicated inverts and spins.

I would probably just use my Blade Unibar. Do they even make bars with 2:1 anymore? My switchblades have them, I don't like them as much as the 1:1 bar.

Just a good solid kite, people. I think the crossbow was (or maybe I think that because its all I know), just need a replacement.
If you are use to a crossbow 13m, pretty much everything in these size will seem fast as the crossbow is really slow. Really stable, really good range, one of the safest kite in gusty weather, lots of float, great upwind capabilities but slow.

Great kites for hangtime :

Ozone Edge 13m would do, Switchblade 12m (14 too slow) would be ok, North Rebel, I would say that Core Xr1 or Xr2 would also be great, you will lose a bit on the upwind but will gain a lot on the speed (13.5 as opposed to your 13) and they have major float.

I had xbows and switchblades (still have an 8m sb) but I am now riding 9-12 and 15 core Xr3 and I get the same safe feeling in gusty weather, better turning and looping speed, plus I even get more hangtime. Worth trying. The 13.5 would be a major upgrade.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Thu May 22, 2014 1:43 am

I'm warming to the idea of an Ozone Edge. It doesn't seem like anyone can say much against them.

Would I be able to use the Blade Unibar or would I need an ozone bar?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Randahl,
I have similar likes/desires when it comes to riding. The 13m Crossbow was my favorite jumper in that size b/c of the glide/hangtime. I was actually a little irritated when Cabrinha discontinued it and replaced it with the Velocity. That is, until I RODE the 2014 13m Velocity. Wow. Even better jumping/hangtime than the Crossbow. And it's a little faster, too. That had become my new favorite in that size...until I rode the 2013 13m Edge. I only had one session on it (unfortunately, someone saw me riding it and was impressed enough to buy the demo :cry: ), but was super impressed with it. Now, I don't know which would be my favorite, but I would gladly have either. I'd have to check to see if you can use a Unibar on that or not. I just don't know off the top of my head.

*Disclaimer* I sell both of these, as well as several other brands. :roll:

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Anyone compare the Liquid Force NRG to the Ozone Edge? Both high aspect. Wonder which one performs better..(Jumping, hang time, and drift)

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm

NRG noly goes to 16m.... I would love to try an 18m or 19m

I've heard good things about them but have yet to see one here.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:58 pm

You may want to consider the 2013 Peter Lynn Fury 13m. I love this kite for boosting.

--
Gunnar

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 am

I've got NRG 16m 2013. Used to fly Xbow 13m 2008(9?) as well.

Still waiting to see how NRG jumps knowing that xbow was really good. The xbow was medium bar pressure and NRG is super light on both settings. One guy was faster than me on his 13m Edge and I'm way lighter, like double (I'm 59kg). However, nrg is more durable, the stitching and overall quality exceeds way above many kites. It is a bit heavier tho coz of a lot of paint I think. But it's b e a t i f u l l.

I do have Airush VX 12m 2013 which beats xbow and edge in height. Maybe not in flow, but it's height I'm after anyway:) VX quality is lower than LF but not to bad either.

Return to “Airstyle”