Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question topic about Kitesizes and line extensions

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question topic about Kitesizes and line extensions

Postby Macisback » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 am

Hi guys,

Jan had an interesting question I would like to share, feel free to post your opinion, as always my answer is solely an opinion, I am always happy to learn from other opinions and experiences.

Hello Macisback,

my name is Jan and Im looking for help when its about line extensions. Im think about getting line extensions to do safe airstyle in all wind ranges.
I have a 6m (bar with 22m lines) + 10m (bar with 22m lines) + 15m (bar with 25m lines) Best TS kiteset.

And Im usually kiting in two scenarios:

- 10-25knots without a lot of waves

- 25-35knots without a lot of waves

I thought about:

- set of 8m for the smaller kites

- set of 5m for the large kite

- set of 3m for intermediate

Which extensions would you recommend?

Thanks so much for your help
Jan

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Re: Question topic about Kitesizes and line extensions

Postby Macisback » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:28 am

Hi Jan,

I use extensions from 3-8m, sometimes I combine them, so my usual line length varies from 24 (Standard) to 27/32/40 meters.

In general:

- The longer a line is, the more power you can generate with the kite and you can catch higher winds (useful in low wind)
- The longer a line is, the slower the kite will react (useful for Airstyle)
- The shorter a line is, the faster the Kite reacts (useful in waveriding and loops)

As you aim for Airstyle, I would suggest you try the following and adjust it to your needs/taste slowly from there by try and error (be careful please):

Get yourself a 7m / 5m / 3m set (so you can use 3/5/7/8/10/12m combinations):

Use the 15m with 32 m lines first
Use the 10m with 32 m lines first (maybe it is too fast and needs 35m+ --> but in strong winds that could be too much!)

I do not recommend using the 10m or 6m Kite for Airstyle (except you manage to slow the 10m down a lot with a very short bar setting and long lines/attachement settings).

The 15m will do its job up to 25 knots easily, depending on your weight.

A typical Airstyle setup (85-90kg rider) is 17-19m for your main kite (12-25 knots) and 14-16 for your strong wind kite (20-30 knots).
As I assume that you are more light (related to your 6/10/15 setup), it could be 16 and 13 or 15 and 12, but only if you slow the small kite down a lot with long extensions and small bar and slow attachement settings.
I am sure you already use a small board below 130cm? Important!

Have fun testing, once again with 7m / 5m / 3m set (so you can use 3/5/7/8/10/12/15m combinations) you should be able to exactly define your needs, let us know your results.
My best guess is that the 15m will fly well with 32m and the 10 will be really hard to slow down so you will go for a 12/13 and slow it down.

Mac

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:59 am

Hi Mac,

awesome input, thanks so much! Im got some more feedback on another thread and will copy it into this one:

25 to 27 is about right I've found for what you want to do.
Westozzy

---------------------------

Well, imo it makes sense using the standard 22 mts on the 6, maybe 25 mts on the 10. About the 15, I ride my one with 27 mts, never tried 30. It will be for sure quite powerful but also a bit slow I think.
pmaggie

-------------------------
Thanks everybody for the feedback will start testing now and write my experiences into this thread
Jan

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Remember, slow is good for Airstyle!

As long as it can loop for Jesus Walks it is fine.

If it is a bit too fast, you will crash the rotating tricks, since it pulls forward too early.

I doubt you can make a small kite as slow as a big kite....lines need to be too long.

Once you get into the Airstyle tricks you will find yourself rather going out in less strong wind with a bigger kite. I see it with friends...they even don't take their 10s in travels anymore and avoid strong winds, since they only progress in moderate winds using their big kites.

But try and report us back how you feel with the small kites and long lines.
Always interesting to know what others use and what makes them progress.

Return to “Airstyle”