Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2015 Rebel 18 Airstyle Review

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2015 Rebel 18 Airstyle Review

Postby Macisback » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 am

Oh and by the way - Toby did not have time yet to check the Draft 17 - which I think will be very similar to the Dyno.

My Dyno arrives next week, so I will need to test that :-)

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30 am

Macisback wrote:Oh and by the way - Toby did not have time yet to check the Draft 17 - which I think will be very similar to the Dyno.

Check your mail.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:05 am

Macisback while I hope you are right, 3 versus 7 struts in the 2011 and 6 in the 2015 and add in a leading edge that would makes you stop in your tracks every time you inflate the damn thing...I think you may find (theoretically speaking) you will find a big difference especially in the winds that count. Oh and a static bridle versus pulleys...all static bridle pressure increases with wind speed, the dyno...stays the same...if anything for some reason seems lighter.

I suspect a very very different wing. Only suspect though I can't confirm this, never ridden to he draft becuase it is 3 struts, leading edge is not big enough (although it does maintain it's think ness through to the tips (one tick), and is a static bridle.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback and also well done on your find. They are like gold at the moment, I had to get mine all the way from Canada!!... And the 16!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 am

Macisback wrote:Oh and by the way - Toby did not have time yet to check the Draft 17 - which I think will be very similar to the Dyno.

nope, but please test both and let us know, very curious!!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 am

Westozzy wrote:Are you happy with the overall design having no centre strut, meaning if north made a more powerful version for heavy riders would you say this 6 strut open centre design will work?

Do you think more aspect is needed maybe to develop more power as per the 2011?

Is the canopy as stable (the 2011 as you know is rock solid)... Notice any fluttering through that open centre section?

It kind of leaves us with 18s (and a 16) scratching our heads to be honest, especially as I am that lighter rider you talk about.

But all things said and done above, do you think the design WORKS, for what we do? Have they developed a decent airstyle kite or is the airstyle factor a function of it being a big bloody kite...!!

I.e. Are you happy overall with the power deliver, can you load and pop against it given decent winds enough movement in the vertical plain....(it doesn't give up on you at the edge of the window).
- I am not a designer and have no clue what works or not. I ride it and then I can give feedback if it does the job for me or not.

- the canopy is not as stiff as the Dyno. The kite moves a bit more, but it is ok. My proto was less stable and the kite worked more, the production is not like that. I assume the thick frontube makes the Dyno 2011 rock solid, it does not move an inch ;-)

- it is so hard to comment for me if it does the job for you. I need more testing so see its full potential. But then it will be for what like and my weight. I cannot recommend anything to riders with less weight. Try to test one somewhere and see if it works for you. I am sure you will like the handling and less powerful pull, but then I don't know how it jumps for you. IMO in less wind you will prefer the Dyno, and more wind the Rebel. But please, test it somewhere!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 am

Okay fair enough, thanks for the reply and yes thick front tube...for sure!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Today I tried the Rebel 18 with 32 lines.

Soft setting on kite, outside bar connection.

The kite felt really good, not too heavy on the bar and still turning nicely.

The wind was light, maybe 12 knots. I stayed easily upwind, could do jumps like Front 360 Boardoff, KickFlip and Boardpass. 93 kg and 128x38 board.

This could be really interesting now...having two bars, one kite and one board and maybe a range from 12-30 knots ;-)

Hoping for more wind the next days!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:21 pm

For light weights like me 72 kg 15m would be the size. I still have to use 07-08 Edges as a reference because nothing else comes to mind. Those kites looked like inflatable Flysurfer Speeds, high aspect slow turning with insane hang time but they only made 13m max at that time. Powerful kites like Dyno is not for me especially in those sizes maybe 14m Rebel and get used to the faster turning. I like the idea of a fifth line going out on something big in too much wind for both for stability and safety.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:46 pm

would be good if lighter riders give it a try and post their reviews here. I am sure many people are curious. Landing tricks is easier with a bigger kite, so here comes the chance to fly it if they have less low end.

I had another 18 proto with less lowend in the beginning. I turned faster then the current Rebel, so I used 32m lines on it. I could fly it up to 26 knots in gusts warm air...and I was flying.

So I assume I can fly the Rebel 18 in up to 30 knots with 32m lines...and I can only imagine how I will fly with it. Big Air Tarifa...here I come ;-)

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zkatez » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 pm

marlboroughman wrote:For light weights like me 72 kg 15m would be the size. I still have to use 07-08 Edges as a reference because nothing else comes to mind. Those kites looked like inflatable Flysurwaaier eeds, high aspect slow turning with insane hang time but they only made 13m max at that time. Powerful kites like Dyno is not for me especially in those sizes maybe 14m Rebel and get used to the faster turning. I like the idea of a fifth line going out on something big in too much wind for both for stability and safety.

Hi,

I think you should give it a try. I am 78kg. I am very happy with dyno 18. Like it better then my rebel 16. Feels saver.learn more tricks with it. Swapped my rebel 14 for crossbow 11. 14 To fast for me.
Rebel 18 will be even easier then dyno for you probably.

A bout 5th: Everbody talking about 5th, but Dyno is 4 line. 5th has no tension. Stable because 7 struts and thick le and bridle and design.
(I do not have anything against 5th)

Return to “Airstyle”