Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Toby Braeuer King of the Air 2015 Submission

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Well Jens I have kites from 18m down to 6m. From airstyle, too powered freeride to wave riding. It's all kiteboarding. Try not to narrow your focus..and Jens...

If that as high as you can get in 40 knots, then please don't make judgements on Toby, infact on no-one I know and ride with and they are just the average joes like me.

You've got a long way to go before you can back such commentary and you just look like a fair dinkum pork chop buddy.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Good idea plummet!
Please mail RB to pay my costs and some extra money and I will do the show before the comp!
Would be a perfect format for me, too many tricks to show in only 10 min !

But I could do a promise if I would be in the comp: you won't see one trick twice, even if I made it to the final. Plus Slides, Jesus Walks and Transitions in between.

Anyone else?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Toby wrote:But I could do a promise if I would be in the comp: you won't see one trick twice, even if I made it to the final. Plus Slides, Jesus Walks and Transitions in between.

This is not what this comp is about, therefore you shouldn't enter. It's about Loops, height, danger. This crowd doesn't want your show. Do you know why the crowd doesn't cheer as loud for the other competitors? They are too busy holding their breath waiting to see if he is going to get injured or not. There is a reason air style events don't draw big crowds.... think on that.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 pm

Now that was a good one! :thumb:

Watch the live stream from last year and listen to the crowd, and at which tricks their cheered.
Specially when Tom Hebert was out...

wdric
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wdric » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:34 am

plummet wrote:Friends and foes....I've never looked at that before!

I've put one individual on there... Nobody on this thread!...
Yes a good suggestion Toby :thumb:
When you see threads getting out of hand you should mention it more often, I bet there are many other long time readers here that forget the little things ;)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:36 am

Do-it wrote:It's about Loops, height, danger. This crowd doesn't want your show
do it watch all the competitor red bull qualification videos. If all you have is danger, height and megaloops it is boring. There are some competitors that show a bunch of megaloops in huge wind, huge height and it's awful. You need style. check out seb garat's unhooked kiteloop, chazal's backroll back flip kiteloop, benoit miquel super low megaloops, beany bubbles crazy megaloop railey. But you are right the judging criteria is all about height, then danger. So it's not really crowd pleasing. These red bull video qualification entries are spectacular I wish they would use the same tricks in competition but it won't score.

It's the judging criteria that wants pure height, not the crowd.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:40 am

Toby wrote:I hold an 18 in 30 knots. Ask @ PKRA.
Shows a limited thinking. Because you can't, it won't be possible.

Still an Airstyle forum. No matter if it shows on home or not.

Guys, just put the users you don't like on the "Foe" list and you won't see their stupid comments, and you can relax and won't need to get off on it, it is not worth your time.

There will always be nice people and not nice people, simple as that.

And I am relaxed, because I deliver while others talk. Let them talk while you smile, and enjoy your passion. :thumb:
R U Kidding!!! I love it when there is battle!!!

This is THE topic.

Toby, u should definitely be allowed to enter, and I would not have a clue as to what size kite u should use.

But, new school right now is wake, its what the kids do, and that is that. I think Aaron Hadlow did a kiteloop KGB on last years kota!?!?

K langerie does real well in these, he kites airstyle to get past heats, so Toby could too?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:55 am

Do-it wrote:
Toby wrote:But I could do a promise if I would be in the comp: you won't see one trick twice, even if I made it to the final. Plus Slides, Jesus Walks and Transitions in between.

This is not what this comp is about, therefore you shouldn't enter. It's about Loops, height, danger. This crowd doesn't want your show. Do you know why the crowd doesn't cheer as loud for the other competitors? They are too busy holding their breath waiting to see if he is going to get injured or not. There is a reason air style events don't draw big crowds.... think on that.
I think the crowd does want to see Toby style stuff. But they want to see it in 30+ knots at mega height.

To be honest I'm the same. I can appreciate the skill involved in pulling off those tricks either air or wake style. But I don't watch any comps of them on line. I can subject myself to watching a little bit of airstyle. But what really draws me to watching the king of air is the mad heights these guys are punching and the silly distances they travel in the air.

The same occurs on any beach around the world. The guy punching the biggest airs and flying the longest is the most watched. Then if 2 dudes are punching similar airs the guy with the most style is watched the most.

But if you have a guy punching technical tricks at a lower height and a guy smashing basic monster airs. The monster air guy will always be most watched.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:27 am

We lost Starsky but anyways these are my thoughts on the style issue, which one is more advanced and so on. I used to pole vault in high school which involved a bit of gymnastics and acrobatic training. So when I look at different styles or sports I am thinking of what is an acrobatic value if you will of one compared to the other. I like to compare kitesurfing to windsufing for you so we all can come down a notch and exercise some humility. No style in kitesurfing comes even close to freestyle windsurfing as far as acrobatic value of the maneuver is concerned. Why? because it is not possible to come around and complete full on acrobatic maneuver with the kite. Even though windsurfers don't do many rotations, but even a single rotation is a piece of poetry in motion when you compare to other sports. They are propeled by non motorized piece of equipment to hit a natural ramp, wave to go into full on acrobatic dance where their own body and equipment interacts and performs their own full acrobatic maneuver. Bicycle, freestyle ski jumping scores high too on this scale but windsurfers use sail to get a lift or to get pushed as a additional tool which takes it into another dimension. So where are we? Well we get some air we do some tricks but we are no full on acrobats. I was going to compare different styles in kitesurfing from an acrobatic prospective but it would involve stating the obvious about unhooked so better not start another war. Just remember because we jump high it doesn't mean we do God knows what.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:55 am

marlboroughman wrote:We lost Starsky but anyways these are my thoughts on the style issue, which one is more advanced and so on. I used to pole vault in high school which involved a bit of gymnastics and acrobatic training. So when I look at different styles or sports I am thinking of what is an acrobatic value if you will of one compared to the other. I like to compare kitesurfing to windsufing for you so we all can come down a notch and exercise some humility. No style in kitesurfing comes even close to freestyle windsurfing as far as acrobatic value of the maneuver is concerned. Why? because it is not possible to come around and complete full on acrobatic maneuver with the kite. Even though windsurfers don't do many rotations, but even a single rotation is a piece of poetry in motion when you compare to other sports. They are propeled by non motorized piece of equipment to hit a natural ramp, wave to go into full on acrobatic dance where their own body and equipment interacts and performs their own full acrobatic maneuver. Bicycle, freestyle ski jumping scores high too on this scale but windsurfers use sail to get a lift or to get pushed as a additional tool which takes it into another dimension. So where are we? Well we get some air we do some tricks but we are no full on acrobats. I was going to compare different styles in kitesurfing from an acrobatic prospective but it would involve stating the obvious about unhooked so better not start another war. Just remember because we jump high it doesn't mean we do God knows what.
Well windsurf tricks just look wrong to me. Like taking a sup into white water. Its useing the incorrect device for the task. Its all speed, ramp chuck some ugly loop and land very hard. No smooth landing. No smooth style. Just smash and bang.

Return to “Airstyle”