Forum for all hooked tricks
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Toby Braeuer King of the Air 2015 Submission

Postby edt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:12 am

plummet wrote: Well windsurf tricks just look wrong to me. Like taking a sup into white water. Its useing the incorrect device for the task. Its all speed, ramp chuck some ugly loop and land very hard. No smooth landing. No smooth style. Just smash and bang.
windsurfers look fantastic on big waves tho, they are a bit more at home there than kiters

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:18 am

They don't have that thing overhead holding them up. You know how they teach back flip? They put you in the harness with lines on the side. That's how the kite works for us and we don't even do back flips. Windsurfers do with no support and with all that equipment.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:36 am

Toby you are a VERY skilled kiteboarder.
You throw down with crap loads of speed power and some great variety.
minus the pointy toes, I really enjoy watching 90% of your riding and thought your submission video was excellent.

Is there anyone in the world that could beat you in airstyle (a sport you invented) in brazil on flat water with and 18m kite.....NO WAY. buy yourself a big gold championship belt and retire....

OR

Rise up to the challenge....pump a different kite size....ride in cold gusty winds with massive shore break and show em what you got.

What I don't wanna see is PUSSING OUT As soon as the wind conditions/judging/expected degree of difficulty/risk/kite size doesn't fall into the conditions which work in your favour.

If you won't play unless you will win, you suck as a competitor and as such stay the heck out of competitions. or organize some side show in brazil....

You know what this completion is about.....you put in a submission video....better damn well follow through if you get chosen......and you ARE easily skilled enough to get chosen it's 70% height.....no reason you can't rock this.

I don't wanna hear the judging was no good, that it was too hard, or you're too old. Competition is Friggin hard.... Putting in the video means you are up for the challenge of pumping up a 12 or 16m kite and going for it.

Yes you're probably expecting to be excluded from the entries, and you can blame all sorts of politics. but what if you are selected.....maybe the guys judging will do it just to call your bluff or make you look like an ass....

You wanna get paid? Show up give it your all to win the big pay check .....be in the competition....
otherwise take your seat with the spectators online or in the sand.....

So IF you get chosen?

a) will you compete? regardless of conditions
b) will you PUSS OUT?

If the answer is a, You got my vote in round 2.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

marlboroughman wrote:

They don't have that thing overhead holding them up. You know how they teach back flip? They put you in the harness with lines on the side. That's how the kite works for us and we don't even do back flips. Windsurfers do with no support and with all that equipment.
That looks terrible to me. All brute force unwieldy equipment and harsh landings.
No doubt the dude has vast skill. But its not what I call smooth or stylish.

Note: soft landings rate very highly in my unofficial score counter. Harsh, blow your knees out landing style of tricks get no points in my book. Go as crazy as you dare. But land super smooth. That is the mark of high skill..

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 am

Those hard landings made me stay away from windsurfing.
Luckily kitesurfing came ;-)

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 am

plummet wrote: Note: soft landings rate very highly in my unofficial score counter. Harsh, blow your knees out landing style of tricks get no points in my book. Go as crazy as you dare. But land super smooth. That is the mark of high skill..
many tricks in windsurfing simply can`t be landed softly espacially when it comes to big air

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:18 am

zloilyoha wrote:
plummet wrote: Note: soft landings rate very highly in my unofficial score counter. Harsh, blow your knees out landing style of tricks get no points in my book. Go as crazy as you dare. But land super smooth. That is the mark of high skill..
many tricks in windsurfing simply can`t be landed softly espacially when it comes to big air
Exactly. Windsurfing freestyle is just wrong. Like riding a road bike on a bmx track.

kas911
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kas911 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:18 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:Toby you are a VERY skilled kiteboarder.
You throw down with crap loads of speed power and some great variety.
minus the pointy toes, I really enjoy watching 90% of your riding and thought your submission video was excellent.

Is there anyone in the world that could beat you in airstyle (a sport you invented) in brazil on flat water with and 18m kite.....NO WAY. buy yourself a big gold championship belt and retire....

OR

Rise up to the challenge....pump a different kite size....ride in cold gusty winds with massive shore break and show em what you got.

What I don't wanna see is PUSSING OUT As soon as the wind conditions/judging/expected degree of difficulty/risk/kite size doesn't fall into the conditions which work in your favour.

If you won't play unless you will win, you suck as a competitor and as such stay the heck out of competitions. or organize some side show in brazil....

You know what this completion is about.....you put in a submission video....better damn well follow through if you get chosen......and you ARE easily skilled enough to get chosen it's 70% height.....no reason you can't rock this.

I don't wanna hear the judging was no good, that it was too hard, or you're too old. Competition is Friggin hard.... Putting in the video means you are up for the challenge of pumping up a 12 or 16m kite and going for it.

Yes you're probably expecting to be excluded from the entries, and you can blame all sorts of politics. but what if you are selected.....maybe the guys judging will do it just to call your bluff or make you look like an ass....

You wanna get paid? Show up give it your all to win the big pay check .....be in the competition....
otherwise take your seat with the spectators online or in the sand.....

So IF you get chosen?

a) will you compete? regardless of conditions
b) will you PUSS OUT?

If the answer is a, You got my vote in round 2.
Post of the year :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Classic you gumbies telling Toby what he should and shouldn't do. I'm sure he will put his submission in and see what happens and keep riding how he wants to. Lucky he didn't listen to what was the done thing...or others.

..although I would like to see him at 40 knots on a 13/16 just going huge with some dazzling board off stuff...but alas he does what he does.

Post of year hey, you gotta get out more man...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:08 pm

No Chance to hold a 16 in 40 knots. Also the 13 with this dense wind should be kinda impossible.

Return to “Airstyle”