Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Dyno 2015 13m

Postby Westozzy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:56 am

Juice is a very very different kite. Remember the dyno is ultimately a LEI race kite, small market. But I was out yesterday banging out barefoot slides, jesus walks and dark slides on my non preferred side, then board off variations with rotations on the way back in. Sick session.

The juice is a numpty no brainer kite. But fun as. Dyno, it's an advanced freeride machine. But hey ive had numpty guys on it, going up and back and boosting and they all cant believe how stable it is.

The only thing with the 13 is trying to slow the damn thing down, even on the inner bar settings (45cm). Gonna look at shortening one of my bars, and also chucking it on 27M lines.

Suppose that's where the rebel 18m is so good, I can learn all the new stuff on it, then apply to the quicker 13...its a super fast kite for a race kite. Sometimes I even chuck it on the outside settings and loop it...sure I don't pull the trigger super early, but early enough. but only sometimes, loops are boring after a while.

Oldpeople
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno

Postby Oldpeople » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:25 pm

thanks for the reviews. Have you ever ridden the 2011 dyno 13? I am wondering how it compares to your 2015. My 2011 13m is my 90% of the time kite, and I really love it, but it is getting older and I have been wondering what kite I will replace it with. I am 75 kg and use a 128 board but after 20kts I start to lose control of the 13m.
Also are you using 4 line or 5 line set up?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:14 am

No I have owned the 2011 18m though and still riding the 16m. mmm how are they different. Well to start with the new Dyno should be always ridden on 5 lines, it is highly recommended. It's weird, although its not loaded, it does semi load, its a lot 'tighter' than say the 2011 dyno. Not sure why, something to do with the voodoo strut bridalling. Have ridden the 2011 on both 4 and 5 lines, not much difference really.

Well, I suppose the new dyno is definetly a much much better race kite (let's face it the 2011 was a dog to race with). Hard to tell as I've only been on the 16 2011, but I would still predict the 13m 2011 would be a lot slower than the new dyno. It is lightening fast, which can be a problem, I've always ridden it on the inner bar settings (except if on the ocean and looping) and I'm gonna cut one of my bars down soon to slow the damn thing down. It's does turn quick, but more so, once you have turned it, it develops great speed really fast across the window.

I can hold the 13m at 75kg on a 134 by 40 team series beyond 20. In'fact I can hold the 16m 2011 into the twenties but it does get a little crazy trying to work against the grunt of that kite.

The speed of the new dyno means the vertical height of that wing is almost like being on a 10/11m but with aspect...not quite, but if you get it right you go real vertical. The hang..similar.

The main difference is the new dyno is far more direct. Although the 2011 was direct given its aspect, the new dyno is bang on direct on the hard settings, you don't feel that pulley slight mush you get in the 2011. The dyno before this one was pulleyless, this one has a pulleys back on them, but the strut connection bridalling has brought the tow points close together...and yet the whole leading edge turns nearly as one, their is little wing shear. Creates a real mechanical direct feel.

I would say the new dyno out of all the generations after the 2011 would be the best replacement. It will fly upwind better, jump more vertical and that open centre gives crazy hang on the way down. But I can move from the 16m 2011 to the 13m 2015 with little adjustment. It is still a dyno and it is still a north kite, with that north kite feel.

My 10m arrived today and given its speed and aspect coupled with that direct mechanical feel I predict some nose bleed action in 25 to 30. let ya know.

Basically if ya like the 2011 then you'll love the 2015. It's bang on my fav wing ever by a country mile. But that's a personal thing. Awesome thing is, it's still stable enough (super stable) to try some strapless airs and the like on my nugget, or just a crazy upwind and downwind cruise on those light days. Very versatile for a high aspect race kite. Getting a camera in late march, will get some footage finally after 15 seasons! :roll:

..and yes 13m 90 percent of the time to for me...

damian
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby damian » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 am

Westozzy on his 13m Dyno is like watching Toby B on his 18m Dyno. Except Westozzy doesnt point his toes enough :dance:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 am

damian wrote:Westozzy on his 13m Dyno is like watching Toby B on his 18m Dyno. Except Westozzy doesnt point his toes enough :dance:
....and I have a little more hair...but only just.... :jump:

ps...I'm not even in the same league as that crazy german, ability wise, then again who is?

Return to “Airstyle”