Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First try on FS Sonic 15m for Oldschool

Postby Zkatez » Sat May 16, 2015 12:29 pm

I had the kite out for testing on just one day with not so steady winds around 15 to 18/19 knts.
Well there is no doubt that this kite is one of the better kites for getting in to oldschool, but as a possible upgrade for my Chrono 15, this day was a disapointment. I did not have a direct comparison with the Chrono. Conditions might have been worse then it seemed to be. But the Chrono has been making a normal kite day in a fantastic kite day each time in last couple of months. And I missed that feeling this day.
I had heard the Sonic would give me more hang/lift and stability for oldschool. That was not the case.

Although Sonic might well be more resistant to collapsing once in the air, the turbulant wind was very noticible over the bar. Made me wait with jumping. Also on the beach it felt like front stalling in the gusts. It made me pay attention to keeping tension on the lines and stepping back on the beach. The kite did not come in to problems though.

Getting the Sonic in the air was a bitch. But that might be case of getting to know it. Getting feeling for it. (With my Chrono it is never a problem anymore).The tips get easily tucked in and are really very difficult or impossible to get out. I had to bring it down several times and asked for manual assistance, which is almost just as difficult. Once you get it sailing, there was never a sign of the tips coming in any more. (But I did not have much jumping going on this day, and not much falling down with slack on kitelines either)

Okee, the important part.
Sonic still have the FS feel. Sluggish. A lot less then the Speeds but still there. Not as nimble light flying as the Chrono. For jumping you have to give it more bar imput, still slow (at start) with coming around. But a lot faster then the Speed. So you have to hold the rail.
I am not a kiter that likes to bring the kite far back for jumping. This kite might be for kiters that do.
It might be better going upwind, compared to Chrono (not sure and not interested), but definitely better then Speed.
I have been on my Chrono 15 for few months now and every ordinary kite day has been a super day. This day, testing the Sonic it was no super day. And therefor disappointed for now. One day to test can be tricky. But I did not get the Hang I am used to, did not get confidence to try much. May be with better technique it is al possible.

The Sonic was prone to Backstalling (for me, always full power).
Coming out of transitions, the Sonic might have a bit more power on hands. The Sonic probably also has more depower on the throw of the bar compare to Chrono.

I will probably test some more and come back to this first impression.

I also think that, if launching is not to big of a problem and flying it will not be to difficult for majority of people, this kite will set the Speed4 back. (All flying characteristics are better and not slow in to goming on to speed)

I found it to much hassle getting the Chrono 12m launched, in winds 25+ knts. I had hoped the 12 Sonic would have been easier to launch then the Chrono for having a oldschool kite in winds over 25 knts.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: First try on FS Sonic 15m for Oldschool

Postby plummet » Sat May 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Interesting review man. I wonder if the lines needed adjusting on the sonic? Too much rear line tension would explain back stalling.

This is the first review I've read that hasn't been a glowing report of awesomeness..... Perhaps the other reports are from one eyed sponsored riders paid to give positive reports?

PS. I have 12m chrono. Its pretty darn crazy over 20 knots.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 16, 2015 11:32 pm

I heard such kites are very sensible to trimming...correct?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun May 17, 2015 1:27 am

Thinking about it. Back stall pivot turn is a desirable function for racing. It means you can turn fast and not loose any upwind compared to a powered turn.

So it makes sense that these race kites come set up for back stall. Trimming back to standard back line tension will make for better freeride performance.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 17, 2015 7:36 am

The bar for that kite comes to with extra pigtails under the floats to allow for a speedy line adjust, suggested after 20 hours. Race kites need constant tuning...?

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 am

Zkatez wrote:...
Although Sonic might well be more resistant to collapsing once in the air, the turbulant wind was very noticible over the bar. Made me wait with jumping. Also on the beach it felt like front stalling in the gusts. It made me pay attention to keeping tension on the lines and stepping back on the beach. The kite did not come in to problems though...
The Sonic was prone to Backstalling (for me, always full power).
Coming out of transitions, the Sonic might have a bit more power on hands. The Sonic probably also has more depower on the throw of the bar compare to Chrono...
so kite is both front- and backstalling?

btw, when writing reviews please mark your weight also, so riders on the both sides of "industry standard" can make right conclusions from them

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool

Postby Zkatez » Sun May 17, 2015 8:18 pm

The Sonic was a new kite. Might be tuning issue. Bar was not new. It was just wat I noticed.

My weight it 78 kg. But I ride few sizes bigger then anybody on the beach. Nobody wants slow kites. My observations are from perspective of Airstyl/Oldschool only. A racer or freerider probably will not notice the backstalling. I wrote "prone to backstalling". With lots of power (wind was not that hard, but together with breaking over the board) it sometimes slowed down fast. Might even really have backstall if I had not sheeted out. I did not try to find out. I thought it would give you info about the type of kite. (Dyno is typical a kite that does not). I am not trying to talk the kite down. (I am always hoping for more options in kite choices. Sonic definitely is a good Oldschool kite). Just my honest experience. What I would like to read from others to. There is enough sponsored/positive talk. You can only get the negative side after 1 or 2 years, when new models have arived.
I am aware that reviews are very personal too. But from some OLdschool guys here, you know where they are coming from. Just hope to share more of the critical info with each other.
And also, I only tried the Sonic one time. Maybe others recognise things.

@ Eree. It did not frontstall on me. I paid attention and responded (with line tension) and it was okee. But I did not yet had that happening on the Chrono or Dyno.

@Plummet. I have tried the 12 Chrono. Like a knife threw the sky, so smooth, lots of power. I loved it. Never have I sailed such an efficient kite. But for me above 25kn a bitch to launch. I gave up trying. The lift and hang must be crazy. With my 15m, I don't need very special conditions or special technic to get jumps with 5/6/7 seconds hangtime. Winds around 20 knts and flat water and 1 or no hands on bar (so no stirring).

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon May 18, 2015 7:53 am

Use the trim strap. You should trim backstall away from wanted bar travel to keep bar sweet spot at same position on changing winds between sessions. If your Chrono could not backstall, how you reverse-relaunch it? So it is just matter of trimming the bar travel.

You should consider shape of generic airfoil speed polar as well when you are trimming the bar travel for (old school) jumping.

Here is an vid what you can do with Sonic. Sonic seems to keep its shape nicely despite 1/3 - 1/2 of wing flying backwards (backstalling).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKkV-bLpLxA

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Intake vents looks interesting...

misavi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Svencele, Lithuania
Gear: FLYSURFER
Brand Affiliation: FLYSURFER

Postby misavi » Mon May 18, 2015 7:15 pm

@Zkatez
In my opinion, your review is biased by your conscious. You just have to justify your purchase you've made two months ago :).
Attachments
fly.jpg
FLYSURFER SONIC-FR 18 in 20+ knots ;)

Return to “Airstyle”