Style: Old School
Gear: Naish Board 130cm
Slingshot Fuel 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar movement in jumping big

Postby Sinthoras1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 am

You often read that jumping big is a function of board speed and kite sped. So for me the most natural thing to do is to send the kite the fast as possible to the zenith by pulling the bar almost to a 90 degree angle. I always did it that way and was happy with it. But people watch who know how to jump like Toby, Tom Hebert or Dimitri Maramenides move the bar so little that it's even hard to see when they begin to send their kite. Is all this bar movement useless effort on my part?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Bar movement in jumping big

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 am

it is an aggressive sending back of the kite, but only for a short way...e.g. jumping to right from 1 or 1:30 to 11:30. So it is a short way of the kite.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Sinthoras1 wrote:You often read that jumping big is a function of board speed and kite sped.
Instead of board/kite speed, think about building and releasing line tension. Yes, the big boosters you mention ride fast but, as importantly, build tremendous line tension against that speed by edging effectively with their boards just prior to boosting. They also release that line tension by synchronizing the kite's backward movement with board pop and, often, a wave or bit of chop on the water. If you think about building and releasing line tension, board and kite speed is just a part of that.

kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD

Postby kooshball » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Sinthoras1 wrote:You often read that jumping big is a function of board speed and kite sped.
Instead of board/kite speed, think about building and releasing line tension. Yes, the big boosters you mention ride fast but, as importantly, build tremendous line tension against that speed by edging effectively with their boards just prior to boosting. They also release that line tension by synchronizing the kite's backward movement with board pop and, often, a wave or bit of chop on the water. If you think about building and releasing line tension, board and kite speed is just a part of that.
So release line tension by popping, then send the kite? Also if speed and tension are key how do you develop those with the kite at 1:30? I always thought that I could get more tension by bringing the kite low and edging like crazy?

Thx

Sinthoras1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Panama Beach
Favorite Beaches: Panama Beach
El Gouna
Hurgharda
Slingshot Fuel 11

Postby Sinthoras1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:25 am

As far as I know you should send the kite first, edge/pop second and sheet the bar in a third step. If you begin edging like crazy before sending the kite you won't have the speed you need to boost high, or am I wrong?

Toby you say it's an aggressive sending but when I watch you jumping you are far away from pulling the bar to the max. when sending the kite, as you would do for a fast kiteloop. In fact that's something I like most on the way the DVD is made: You see the bar movement very well.
Yesterday I tried to send the kite with a little less bar movement as you do and it actually felt better. I'm just not sure on a theoratical basis why this is.
Talking about waves: When is the best moment to sheet the bar and boost? When I am on the peak of the wave or should I use it as a kicker and have the boosting moment when I am already in the air? The later made me definitely jump wider but I am not sure about height.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:43 am

Maybe it got confused.
I send it hard, but since it moves only a short way, it does not look that hard like someone with a kiteloop.
It is a controlled sending back.
Maybe let's say it is a smooth sending back to make a difference to an uncontrolled, fast sending back from a lower position. Now that will make you jump further, but not higher.

A controlled kick back will get you high, and the point of full power will be easier felt, to add the pop and pull on the bar.
You will develop the feeling for the right timing, but you should have a kite with feedback, not those power steering kites without bar pressure...

At the moment of popping you sheet it. Power gets concentrated on one point.

Just get my DVD or watch it on Vimeo on demand, all exactly explained there!
www.airstyle.tv

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:11 pm

Sinthoras1 wrote:As far as I know you should send the kite first, edge/pop second and sheet the bar in a third step.
Yes, correct. Build up good speed (kite can be a bit lower and board a bit flatter to really go fast). Then prepare for the boost by bringing your kite up high (1:30) and starting to edge upwind. You are still going fast. At that point, build your line tension by (1) sending the kite in a controlled motion behind you (11:00) and (2) "loading" your board by edging really hard upwind. As Toby says, the power gets concentrated at one point and timing is the key.

To release the tremendous line tension you've built up, use your board and dig the edge upwind one last time to get big "pop" out of the water (hit a bit of chop or a wave if you can). As you go airborne, the line tension is releasing all at once, and you can then pull the bar in to prolong the tension and boost higher and longer.

Watch Toby's videos, and pay attention to what he does with his board. He rides fast to prepare for the boost, then edges hard as his kite comes up higher. Here's Dimitri's video if you haven't seen it. His explanation of loading and popping with the board is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCmW4ZXjuHI

It's instructive just to watch videos of guys like Toby and Dimitri paying attention not only to their bar and kite movement, but also to what's happening with the board. Timing is key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCmW4ZXjuHI

kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD

Postby kooshball » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Toby wrote:Maybe it got confused.
I send it hard, but since it moves only a short way, it does not look that hard like someone with a kiteloop.
It is a controlled sending back.
Maybe let's say it is a smooth sending back to make a difference to an uncontrolled, fast sending back from a lower position. Now that will make you jump further, but not higher.

A controlled kick back will get you high, and the point of full power will be easier felt, to add the pop and pull on the bar.
You will develop the feeling for the right timing, but you should have a kite with feedback, not those power steering kites without bar pressure...

At the moment of popping you sheet it. Power gets concentrated on one point.

Just get my DVD or watch it on Vimeo on demand, all exactly explained there!
www.airstyle.tv
No love for North America; says your DVD won't play. Is the Vimeo setup downloadable so I can watch in the absence of an Internet connection?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:11 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Try this:

Tie your lines on something that wont move, like a tree or something.

Hook in, get 5 of your buddies to lift you up and pull on you as hard as they can, and then let them release.

What do you think will happen?

Tension in itself does nothing. It's not stored energy when you don't have stretch.

Sinthoras1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Panama Beach
Favorite Beaches: Panama Beach
El Gouna
Hurgharda
Slingshot Fuel 11

Postby Sinthoras1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:26 am

I have the vimeo version and it was actually there when I noticed that you don't pull the bar to the max. Only than I watched the other riders like Dimitri on the video posted below and Tom Hebert. They all do it the same way. Maybe it's because the kite won't move faster after a certain way of pulling? If you could make your kite faster ad jump higher by simply pulling more everyone in the KOTA would use 2m bars like in the old days, right?
Whatever it is, it worked. Yesterday I tried to put into practice all of your suggestiona and I jumped higher than ever before. At least the windsurfer under me looked pretty small, so I guess I made something right ;)

Return to “Airstyle”