Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

17m bandit for Airstyle ... thoughts ?

Postby lindseym » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:52 am

Greetings all,
I had the opportunity to ride the 17m 2016 bandit (9?) a few weeks back and was impressed. The lift and hang time were exceptional. I don't recall the exact speed but I was super powered up while still comfortable and able to dig an edge. It's probably not designed specifically for Airstyle (turns a bit faster) but I was thinking that I could slow the turning speed by using my North bar with it set to the smaller kite setting.

The only issue I had is that on a few tricks or boosts I tended to rotate a bit underneath the kite. Meaning, if I would boost left foot forward, my body would start to rotate towards the kite to the right and would mess me up a bit. This obviously is a pilot error and not the kite...I just need to get acclimated to it.

Has anyone used the 17 Bandit for any airstyle ? Any input is appreciated.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: 17m bandit for Airstyle ... thoughts ?

Postby Toby » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 am

Basic of an Airstyle kite is the lift and hangtime.
If you got that, you are good to go.

Try your North bar, but also try longer lines or some extensions to slow it down.

Let us know how that worked.

And show us some jumping pictures!

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:28 am

Thx Toby. Will do !!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't have any experience on Airstyle but I would like to know how you liked the 17m?
The 14m is pretty quick, from what I understand it is not a good thing for airstyle but I guess with decent skill it is not too bad.

I have had 12, 9 for a while and was looking for light wind kite. I couldn't find much feedback on 17m so I ended up going for the 14m which has plenty of power.
A few weeks back I was able to kite on my 135cm board only on a breeze (maybe 8-10 knots, no white caps). I thought I got skunk so decided to just launch the kite to play around with trim. When I tried to self launch it wouldn't pick up easily so I kind of hot launched it then I found I was quite powered ;)

Did you find the trim different on 17m? On my 14m I can't use my 12 m bar directly I have to trim front line 3, 4 inch else kite backstall. It is a demo kite from f-one so they might have played around with bridle line length... I should probably ask them directly.

I have done only a couple of session on 14m, I find it a lot harder to boost than my 12. I probably need to find the right technique. I have heard that with bigger kite it is better to send them from 11 vs 10 and let it trail to 12 instead of sending it hard through the window. Might also help to have correct trim ...

What I like about 14m is that it's still pretty fast and loops well (kiteloop or downloop on landing/ not megaloop haha)

LTD WaterSports
Medium Poster
Local Beach: DESTIN, Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: Anguilla, OBX, Destin
Style: Freestyle
Gear: BEST, AirRush, F-ONE, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: LTD WaterSports
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LTD WaterSports » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:15 am

The 2016 Bandit is simply awesome! We still cant get our hands on a 17m but we have several 14m B9 in the area and all the kiters who ride them love them. I do have alot of experience with the 2015 Bandit 17m. My only complaint was its a little hard to cut up wind with a standard bar, F-One could greatly benefit from a 17m specific bar with longer lines.

We will have some 2016 17m bandits in around April. I will try to come back in here with a update.

Return to “Airstyle”