Kite for airstyle

Forum for all hooked tricks
BlameTheWind
Rare Poster
Gear: Escape 7 FS 9 RS 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite for airstyle

Postby BlameTheWind » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 pm

What kites would be good options today, if i would like to learn to do tricks like Toby Brauer and Lukash Vogeltanz?
I was reading older posts here, popular ones where Dyno 18m, Rebel 18m.
Im not sure if i could buy Dyno, i looked that they dont make Rebel this size.
How good would be Edge, Sonic, Nova, Chrono, Hook, what other kites might be best for airstyle?
My weight is something between 90-95kg.

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Re: Kite for airstyle

Postby PabloQ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Dear,
I know I'm going to fall ... but soul is an excellent airstyle kite. with Great hang time, sustained vertical jump to have time on the tricks, good loops, but hey, the LEI world is going to want to make me forget. I think for your weight, a 12m would be fine ...
Regards

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 pm

If you can, try as many as you can.

Nowadays hard to say...here are some nice jumping kites out there. Big problem is, they all turn fast...and that will be a problem for tricks with rotations.
Longer lines and a shorter bar can help with that though.

Foils are slower turning too, also an option.

All I can say, you need power for my tricks...the more the easier it all gets...

So, try different stuff and find your model and size.

Good luck !

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:07 am

Soul is a great kite that would enable you to learn. I haven’t learnt anything on my Lei Kites last three years switched to souls this year and have to say they are the best kites I have flown on the last 11 years of flying. Way more stable than an Lei when airborn. Fill you full of confidence. In the last couple months I have learnt one foot outs and and one foot out back rolls. Have tried a Jesus walk but not quite mastered that yet. All grabs have become more stylish and tried more. Progression is coming on in leaps and bounds. Loving them and got me smiling and the passion back again. Can’t recommend them enough misses is on them now too. She is beginner but progressing quickly and prefers them to Lei also. :-) give one a try. Need to adjust to them a bit but once you do going back to an Lei will feel feel heavy, twitchy and dull.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

Yes, most probably the Soul is the best choice. For airstyle you mainly need hangtime and foil kites has significantly more hangtime than tube kites. I am also 90-95 kg and the Soul 12 is a very good choice. I am using with 2 or 3 meter extensions. If you are kiting in lightwind than you might also consider the 15 or 18 as well. The Soul 10 is my record jumping kite. This year I jumped my first 19m with the Soul 10. Untill last year I was using tubekites and I could not really go over 12-13 meter. I started to use Soul and the 15-16 meter jumps started to come very easily.
These users thanked the author Skywalker7 for the post:
joriws (Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 am

Partially joking but has anyone tried the cheap Pansh foils? All the threads about them complain about how stable but slow they are to turn so ..... ?

In all seriousness there must be something else other than being slow and stable that helps. Predictability?

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 am

nothing2seehere wrote: Partially joking but has anyone tried the cheap Pansh foils? All the threads about them complain about how stable but slow they are to turn so ..... ?

In all seriousness there must be something else other than being slow and stable that helps. Predictability?
Dear,
I've tried foil kite pansh. The main point is that the price is half or less than a top brand kite. Fly, turn, and you will have a good time ... but there are small mismatches that can drive you crazy, sometimes the lines do not come well calibrated, the materials have a lower quality and suffer accelerated wear, and I can also say that the technical results are inferior In its development. Even so, it is an economic option that can be exploited. On the other hand, in Pansh you will not get anything similar to Soul. Moreover, I would tell you that many brands have come out to "resemble" or compete to the soul. A very high line has been set, and everyone tries to be or compete with him. Hyperlink V2, Capa, Halo ... all point to the benefits of the Soul. And it's okay, so be it. It is a great kite.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:31 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 am
Partially joking but has anyone tried the cheap Pansh foils? All the threads about them complain about how stable but slow they are to turn so ..... ?

I have Soul 10 m and Pansh Aurora II 15 m. I love the Soul. But the Pansh costs about 1/10th as much as the Soul. Is the Soul better? Absolutely! Is it 10 times better? Not even close.

If you are interested in trying a foil kite but you don't want to pay up for an Ozone or a Flysurfer, the Pansh is a perfect option. I haven't had any trouble with my Aurora II, despite all the trashing Pansh gets online. You can hardly go wrong with a Pansh (because of the low investment). Yes, most definitely, Pansh kites are worth consideration.

PabloQ
Medium Poster

Postby PabloQ » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm

FLandOBX wrote: Yes, most definitely, Pansh kites are worth consideration.
Yes, I agree with the statement. I also argue that the quality is not the same.
And returning to the topic of posting, the Soul is an excellent tool for airstyle

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 pm

PabloQ wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm
FLandOBX wrote: Yes, most definitely, Pansh kites are worth consideration.
Yes, I agree with the statement. I also argue that the quality is not the same.
And returning to the topic of posting, the Soul is an excellent tool for airstyle
Yes. 100% in agreement. :thumb: I love my Soul.

Return to “Airstyle”