Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite for airstyle

Forum for all hooked tricks
Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Urk
Favorite Beaches: Urk, Mirns, Stavoren, Trintelhaven, Wijk aan Zee, IJmuiden, Zandmotor
Style: Old School, Freeride little Un-Hooking
Gear: Ozone Enduro V3 8 - 10 mtr, 17 mtr Zephyr V6
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite for airstyle

Postby Meindert de Boer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi all, just refreshing this topic again as it is from 2019 last post, but maybe this could be better after all new releases for 2022 kites…. But just too curious.

Okay, my current situation is that I using a Ozone Zephyr V6 (17 mtr) just pure for Airstyle with a 45 cm Ozone V4 Water Contact bar with 30 mtr lines. As I use also my own fabricated Micro Hook system which works very well. I enjoy my progression each time. I ride this kite up to 22-24 knots. I only can say it is a great kite, especially in gusty conditions. However; it is I believe not the best Hangtime kite nor it will be the highest jumper. But as my progression moves forward, I need to slower the kite more, I moved the pigtails more towards the leading edge (slower steering but higher bar pressure) And this is my current problem…….. I do have injured my muscles the Biceps and Triceps by overloading due to this high bar pressure. ….

Is their any way of decrease the bar pressure without moving the pigtails back to the end of the tips? 🤞

Otherwise I believe I will look for a replacement of my Zephyr, so big kite 17-19 mtr but no Foils. I tried it a couple of times, but just not my interest.
So any update for big size kites with low bar pressure but off course HANGTIME…

Ozone Edge V10 17 -19 mtr. Could be also an option, not sure how the bar pressure is. I did have the 13 mtr. V10 Edge and that bar pressure was better than my Zephyr. But never tried the big size one. Negative side of the Edge,… it is horrible for relaunch after crashing it.

Core XR7 17mtr LW looks also very nice, but my experiences with the XR is high bar pressure… is this still the same? And could we ride this with my own 4 line bar? As Core as a high Y line configuration. But is easy for relaunching even in light winds conditions.

Some other brands and type would be usefull. As it is difficult to find bigger sizes than 14 mtr. Nowadays.

Thanks all for your reactions/ advises

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:17 pm

yes, pity only few bigger kites left...so hoping for one brand who will take the share of the market with a great kite in the near future.

Kites should have options for slow turning and less, more bar pressure.

I tried kites and had no idea where they were due to lack of bar pressure...this way you won't land your tricks.

If you don't want to do megaloops, hangtime over height is what you want. But sure, it should get some good height too to make it all look fantastic.
But, landing new tricks is more important than always going high. Risk also becomes higher. If you have 35+ risk is a factor.

Keep us informed what you ended up with !
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Meindert de Boer (Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Meindert de Boer wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Some other brands and type would be usefull. As it is difficult to find bigger sizes than 14 mtr. Nowadays.
You could try the 17m Airush Lift?
It's a similar shape to XR/Edge, 5 strut, high aspect, big hang time.
I have a 10m & 14m lift and while I find it to have a little more bar pressure than an Airush Ultra or Session, I would still consider it on the lower/med bar pressure.
For reference, I consider a Cabrinha switchblade to be high bar pressure.
The 14m Lift is very lofty and forgiving - very fun, I'm sure the 17m is more of the same.
These users thanked the author elmarco for the post:
Meindert de Boer (Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:32 pm)

Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Urk, Mirns, Stavoren, Trintelhaven, Wijk aan Zee, IJmuiden, Zandmotor

Postby Meindert de Boer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:17 pm
yes, pity only few bigger kites left...so hoping for one brand who will take the share of the market with a great kite in the near future.

Kites should have options for slow turning and less, more bar pressure.

I tried kites and had no idea where they were due to lack of bar pressure...this way you won't land your tricks.

If you don't want to do megaloops, hangtime over height is what you want. But sure, it should get some good height too to make it all look fantastic.
But, landing new tricks is more important than always going high. Risk also becomes higher. If you have 35+ risk is a factor.

Keep us informed what you ended up with !
Hi Toby,

Yes I agree with you completely, Hangtime above height for sure. But off course if the (big size 17 – 19 mtr) kite jumps high I will not complain at all 😊
Regarding the bar pressure, I understand if you have very very low bar pressure you will no feeling where the kite could be. But when it is lighter, like on my small size Enduro kites I have no problem to feel were it stands. And as for longer periods on the water, it would help me allot to be staying on the water instead of taking couple of days rest again ☹ :cry: .

Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster

Postby Meindert de Boer » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:32 pm

elmarco wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:46 pm
Meindert de Boer wrote:

You could try the 17m Airush Lift?
It's a similar shape to XR/Edge, 5 strut, high aspect, big hang time.
I have a 10m & 14m lift and while I find it to have a little more bar pressure than an Airush Ultra or Session, I would still consider it on the lower/med bar pressure.
For reference, I consider a Cabrinha switchblade to be high bar pressure.
The 14m Lift is very lofty and forgiving - very fun, I'm sure the 17m is more of the same.

Thanks Elmarco, did not had the Airush Lift in mind until now. Looks like a good kite as well for higher gusty windy conditions like when I would go out around 20 + knots with it. However, in several reviews also in this one at 3:30 they mention that the bar pressure is medium to high. Same on other written reviews. Off course not sure if that is higher or lower than my current bar pressure with the Zephyr.
But definitely try to do a test ride on this kite, as well on the XR 7 and Edge (possible waiting for the V11) or any other kites that would be suggested.

Only issue that could occur on this Airush Lift and XR is this question; could I ride these kite with my 4 line kite without any Y (low or high) settings on the lines? As I have now a working micro hook system on this bar, I would not want to change it into another bar without this system. Or maybe the possibility to create this kind of Y setting on my bar? Any kits or so?
Any experience with this anyone?

Further suggestions and tips still very much appreciated off course.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Meindert de Boer wrote:

Only issue that could occur on this Airush Lift and XR is this question; could I ride these kite with my 4 line kite without any Y (low or high) settings on the lines? As I have now a working micro hook system on this bar, I would not want to change it into another bar without this system. Or maybe the possibility to create this kind of Y setting on my bar? Any kits or so?

I've ridden the 10 & the 14 Lift both low and high Y, and honestly, I don't really notice a huge difference. The kite actually comes with the conversion kit, its super simple. Just a little ring you loop into the line. But honestly, I ride it mostly with low Y just out of convenience.

I haven't ridden a zephyr, so I can't compare. But if you've ridden a switchblade or an Eleveight RS, I found them to have higher bar pressure that I found it annoying, the Lift I don't find annoying.

Ask around for a demo if you can.

Good luck!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Try as much as you can…because everyone is different and has different needs.
Only then you will find the perfect kite.

Too Nad you didn’t go to Germany for the masters…many brands exhibited and allowed to test the kite.

Try to find any event close by your area and test test test

And don’t forget to let us know what your impressions are. Many people reading…

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:10 pm

If you don't want a foil I would stay on the zephyr. Great kite for airstyle. As for slowing down the kite don't move the pigtails on the kite that extra bar pressure is no fun. Instead cut down your control bar width. You can mod the bar your self just remove the winders cut down the bar reattach the winders or buy a new super short control bar.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Meindert de Boer (Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:54 am)

Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster

Postby Meindert de Boer » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:54 am

So it is not just me that the Zephyr has an high bar pressure when moving the pigtails towards the middle.

Good advice Edt, ... do you believe that I even not considered that at all!. Last year I moved from 50cm towards 45 cm bar (smallest normal size) and added extension to 30 mtr. Which helped allot. But since than I never thought about even smaller bars.
As all my other fellow kiters friends think I am crazy to ride small bar with big size kite. So further thought were basically pushed away by this, until now.

As I know that Ozone has also a Wakestyle type of bar which is just 38 cm width, which could do the trick! I will try to get one, and try it out. And will add for now 2 mtr. Extensions on my lines, maybe that will have an impact as well, 30 mtr vs 32 mtr.
Thanks, this show how good to have a forum like this to help each other out!

Indeed the Zephyr is a nice kite, especially in gusty conditions. But I am not sure if it is the best Airstyle kite for hangtime. As this one is my first good big size kite, as I got the first XR 17 mtr, which was completely no fun to use, back in the days. When I wanted to move forward with airstyle I bought a 13 mtr Edge V10 and helped me allot. But when I moved to the Zephyr I sold my 13 as I even did not use it anymore, so much I like the kite. But now, I more combinations and have sometimes difficulty to find the time to try triple combo’s. hence I just orientate for a better kite (if there is off course 😊 )..

For now I have the following kites ;

• Ozone Edge V10 (V11?) 17 or 18 mtr believe it is lighter bar pressure and better jumping and hangtime than the Zephyr…… but worse water relaunch

• Core XR 7 17 mtr LW believe higher bar pressure better jumping and hangtime descend water relaunch

• Airush Lift 17 mtr maybe same or little lower bar presser, longer hangtime not sure about relaunch

• North Reach 17 mtr light bar pressure, but maybe to quick to steer? Not sure if it is better than the Zephyr regarding hangtime and jumping , good relaunch

I will try them all out, especially if the small bar does the trick, the need of getting another kite Is lower. But still looking for the edge of longer hangtime, goal is next year triple combinations.

keep you all posted about my findings, and off course feel free to give your personal experience and thought.
These users thanked the author Meindert de Boer for the post:
Toby (Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:25 pm)

DonaldM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 76
Local Beach: 's-Gravenhage
Style: Freeride / Wave
Gear: Neo 6m 2019 / Neo 9m 2016
F-one hydrofoil IC6 850cm2 - 85cm
Liquidforce slice 5.10
Flysurfer Radical 5 - 134

Postby DonaldM » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Meindert de Boer wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:32 pm

Duotone has a v splitter for the clickbar. You can buy it separately and I believe it also works on other bars.

https://www.kitemana.nl/duotone-kiteboa ... utor-76876

Return to “Airstyle”