Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2014 Rebel 5th element line lengths

Forum for all hooked tricks
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

2014 Rebel 5th element line lengths

Postby kjorn » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 pm

I've got a 2014 8m rebel. Not ridden one before I bought it, so I didn't know what to expect. Could you offer some advice please.

My issues:

I've ridden it a few times and it doesn't feel right. It's slow to initiate a turn, and it's slow to stop it turning. I've hit the water a lot of times with it. Compared to my bandits, epic screamers it feels .... sluggish? Slow to initiate, slow to recover. I have to really yank the bar to make it turn.

Power - very on / off. When a gust comes, I sheet out and edge. I lose all power and almost stop in the water. Pulling the bar in is very heavy on the arms. Jumps are super low, really disapointing.

I assume my line lenghts are wrong. What should I experiment with? Shorter 5th line? Looking at the diagrams on-line, all lines should be the same length (which mine are.) This diagram shows the 5th line is shorter than the outside lines:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0094/ ... 80x@2x.jpg

What should the kite feel like if 5th line too long?
What should it feel like if the 5th line is too short?

THANK YOU!!

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Re: 2014 Rebel 5th element line lengths

Postby foilfun » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:21 am

Sounds too flat. I use a three-knot pigtail on my center line to adjust the shape of the kite. Longer is more shaped, while shorter is more flat. Also, be sure your pink line has slack in it. If not, your kite will be changing shape as you sheet in and out.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:26 am

Are there measurements for the pigtails and Y line on the kite? Maybe the bar and lines are ok but the kite is wrong?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Tune your bar first. I know the actual line lengths are all different because north used all kinds of leaders in their control bars at that time, but if you attach the lines to a post and tune your bar as usual, it should be equal length when you stretch it out at least that's what I remember.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:59 pm
Tune your bar first. I know the actual line lengths are all different because north used all kinds of leaders in their control bars at that time, but if you attach the lines to a post and tune your bar as usual, it should be equal length when you stretch it out at least that's what I remember.
I'm using a different bar and lines (mutiny), when sheeted in all 5 lines are the same length. I have added a high Y 13m down from the kite. I was trying to avoid buying an old 2014 North bar and lines :)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Then just tune the loaded 5th line until the kite has correct shape...not too flat...not too curved
If loaded 5th is too tight then kite is too flat = bad
If loaded 5th is too long then kite is too curved = bad
Good luck
You will figure it out
I have a been flying my Rebel 8 sqm for now 8 years ( 2011 model ) and it is awesome kite ( I have 2011 bar 5th element North )
I did have to replace the loaded 5th line 2 years ago and had to do the tuning of perfect length flying it on the beach in about 20 knots
Trial and error until it flies perfect and then go can go rip on the water
Bar width / back lines width should be around 45-46 cm also to get correct kite behavior response
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
kjorn (Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:28 am

kjorn wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm using a different bar and lines (mutiny), when sheeted in all 5 lines are the same length. I have added a high Y 13m down from the kite. I was trying to avoid buying an old 2014 North bar and lines :)
sounds good! Yeah not sure what the problem is then. I wouldn't bother getting a new bar I don't think that's the problem. Fly the kite and watch the center and 5th lines they should be equally loaded when the kite is flying. Pull strings has a good suggestion too.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
kjorn (Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:15 am

Took the Rebel in today, randomly one of my mates offered to launch the kite so I mentioned that I had lengthened the 5th line. He has ridden Rebels years ago so when i launched he took a look at the kite. He changed my pathetic 5cm extension to about 20cm.

This made the kite fly a lot better. Easier to control. Less diving down the window. Quicker turning. It still had a very high top end. It feels like a normal kite.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will try adding a little more length to the 5th line and see how that goes. The tips were a little flappy when I was overpowered. Nice jumps, but still below 10m .... so I think there is some tweaking needed.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:37 am

OK .... I let a few friends fly the kite and they said it was not correct. The length of the sheeting was way too short and the kite was not flying correctly. So I bought a 2014 North 5 line bar ...

and the lines are NOT all the same length -- the 5th line is shorter than the other 4. You also need a long throw to access all the fun.

So if you're struggling with the 2014 North Rebel line lengths, try shortening the 5th.

Also, it's a fun kite in high winds. My current technique is to go 75% speed, sheet in to turn the kite, as it turns sheet out and edge against the kite, then sharply pull the bar in full. As you do, jump, that gives a very nice rocket pull up into the clouds.

Return to “Airstyle”