What kite for Jesus walk?

Forum for all hooked tricks
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What kite for Jesus walk?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:25 pm

Well, I dont....

After a few hours I have an idea how a kite is different.

But it takes at least 3 months if riding often, till I can utilize a new (and a bit or a lot different) kite.

The more you ride with the same gear, the more difficult it gets to adapt to a new style.

We always desire a kite just like the one we are used to, just better :rollgrin:

This aint gonna happen...
Kites are different, and the more different the longer it takes to get dialed in.

As said, at least 3 months for me, I am not the fastest learner I know, but still used to many different kites.

With a foil kite you dont ride like a LEI, timing is different, sheeting is different - sometimes you can get more power depowering, or even backing it a bit and let it fly forward - hardly used like that on a LEI.

There are so many aspects one can not utilize when changing kite, not untill after a looooong time :rollgrin:

I try and experience different gear now and then, quite often in fact, curiosity and because I like to know what "is possible".

My instinct says "stick to the ones you know inside out", but reality and my brain says its better to try something new to challenge yourself, and get a more complete view on all things :thumb:

Progression, but not in small steps :naughty:

A foilkite might not be for you and you might be right, but my point is we most often seek what we know and are used to, so exploiting new possibilites with different angles is what we will miss then :wink:

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:24 pm

The new foils are different from what they were like 10 years ago. Try them you'll see. That and the development of Aluula (and other super light kites) have been the only two major changes in kites since 2010. I think I've tried over 100 different kites, twintips, hydrofoils in the last 10 years. It's fun trying new stuff. I have also tried line lengths from 10m up to 100m. A lot of the changes over the years are nonsense like all those crazy patterns like weird suff happening on the bottom of the board like triple concave, you don't need that stuff (except maybe to help stiffen the board), but foil kite development that makes it feel like a tube kite is real. the hype is real. The peak is more different from the soul than a C kite is from a bridled kite. Of course it takes time away from your progression to try new gear because you aren't working on new tricks while trying new gear, so it's not for everyone.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:56 pm

3 months do get used to a kite to do a basic trick (for me)?
Nah, than why get a new kite? :naughty:

I know quickly if a kite works for me or not.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
edt (Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Airstyle”