Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My beliefs have changed.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 pm

jkrug wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm
news flash: some people are better athletes than others.
2014, I'm like one one of the first non-race cruiser foilers here in Puget Sound, Washington State. Now I'm the old-timer who knows everything. Legend in my own mind.
But all I can do is toe & heelside jibes, and footswitches. Any attempt at tacks, 360s, you name it and I'm swimming.

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5383
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby edt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm

It takes me forever to learn anything
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
PurdyKiter (Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:36 pm)
Rating: 10%

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm
^^^

Yeah, my younger son picked up foiling in about 50 minutes. After two hours he was switching feet on foil in the middle of the choppy Columbia River on a 91 cm mast. I had been working on that for weeks. He told me, "I don't know, just switch your feet..." Day 4 he is sitting on foilboard, small strapless jumps etc. None of this is an exaggeration.

Some folks just "feel it" and flow with it. Others, like me, "fight it"until we finally give in and start to accept new movements.

And yes, both of us on the 633 wing. His "board" is a free wakeboard. He sawed off one end for 3' length, slapped epoxy on the cut, drilled four holes to mount mast, used bolts from hardware store, and gorilla glued down a collection of old and spare deck pads.
2014. Casa Verde in La Ventana. I'm sitting with my beer crying over my month in LV devoted to learning Foil. At this point I've ridden maybe 20 yards total for 20 sessions. LF Foil Fish.
A young woman sits down next to me and says "What's the big deal about foiling? I was ripping in 20 minutes"
Grrrrrr....

Kitetwin-1
Rare Poster
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 pm

I’m in no hurry to reach the end of this game, I’m just enjoying we’re I am at the moment. It’s all about my progression, I don’t measure against others.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6269
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Yeah, Some people are just better at some things. I am shit house at any form of trickery! Any form. Spacially i'm fucked rotating around then trying to land. But give me some stupid as crazy conditions and i'll ride the hell out of them....

Anyway I think gear is a lot easier to learn on now and there's a lot more resource to draw from. Also some people push harder than others. Where one person stops trying another will push forward. I don't push at all with tricks pretty much everyone kicks my arse with trick. But I push with wind and sea conditons.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post (total 2):
Mossy 757 (Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm) • Foil (Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 pm)
Rating: 20%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby cwood » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm
Yeah, Some people are just better at some things. I am shit house at any form of trickery! Any form. Spacially i'm fucked rotating around then trying to land. But give me some stupid as crazy conditions and i'll ride the hell out of them....

Anyway I think gear is a lot easier to learn on now and there's a lot more resource to draw from. Also some people push harder than others. Where one person stops trying another will push forward. I don't push at all with tricks pretty much everyone kicks my arse with trick. But I push with wind and sea conditons.
This, once riding in general is mastered, those that try shit, learn shit. If you just ride in basic fear of what can happen then your brain learns nothing about what are very complex 3d moves that require basically your entire body to be coordinated in flying a kite in 3 dimension and handling a board in 3 dimensions with just your feet! Don't be hard on yourselves it is really tricky stuff....and like any athletic stuff, some people are just faster learners. Suspend fear, go into tries with speed and commitment and your brain will help you.
As with learning the basic foil flight, when you come back to your next session you will already be better than your last tries. In our group, the guys that are often crashing and in the water waiting to retrieve their board are the ones that have become the most advanced....because they are trying stuff. The ones that are always on the foil and its unusual to see them flailing in the water....are in a state of foil limbo. The other thing I have noticed is that trying and getting to one maneuver will absolutely help others. Rotating a slow back roll helps you with kite control in tacks and 360's etc...so it all gets accelerated.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
Foil (Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:44 pm)
Rating: 10%

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6269
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby plummet » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 pm

cwood wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 am
plummet wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm
Yeah, Some people are just better at some things. I am shit house at any form of trickery! Any form. Spacially i'm fucked rotating around then trying to land. But give me some stupid as crazy conditions and i'll ride the hell out of them....

Anyway I think gear is a lot easier to learn on now and there's a lot more resource to draw from. Also some people push harder than others. Where one person stops trying another will push forward. I don't push at all with tricks pretty much everyone kicks my arse with trick. But I push with wind and sea conditons.
This, once riding in general is mastered, those that try shit, learn shit. If you just ride in basic fear of what can happen then your brain learns nothing about what are very complex 3d moves that require basically your entire body to be coordinated in flying a kite in 3 dimension and handling a board in 3 dimensions with just your feet! Don't be hard on yourselves it is really tricky stuff....and like any athletic stuff, some people are just faster learners. Suspend fear, go into tries with speed and commitment and your brain will help you.
As with learning the basic foil flight, when you come back to your next session you will already be better than your last tries. In our group, the guys that are often crashing and in the water waiting to retrieve their board are the ones that have become the most advanced....because they are trying stuff. The ones that are always on the foil and its unusual to see them flailing in the water....are in a state of foil limbo. The other thing I have noticed is that trying and getting to one maneuver will absolutely help others. Rotating a slow back roll helps you with kite control in tacks and 360's etc...so it all gets accelerated.
Its not fear hold me back from tricks. Its A) im not good at them and B) I dont find any joy in them. I'm not a trickster. Simple as that. I find it detracts from my joy of flow. I am a terrain rider searching for flow. I want to ride an interesting and challenging terrain. So I will push into high winds, bigger seas, and larger waves and go faster. That is my interest. Not doing a back roll or similar. This crosses all the sports that I do. I seek out terrain and ride it.

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm

After reading about Oregon's young son and Purdy's young woman acquaintance, I wonder whether small lighter people have an advantage learning more complicated tricks on foil? If a lightweight rider and and heavyweight rider are trying to learn a foot switch maneuver on the same equipment, the lightweight rider would probably have an advantage (all other things, like athletic ability, being equal) just because the rider's movements around the board would have less effect on the flight path of the foil. The end result would be that the lightweight rider would have more margin of error in moving around the board than the heavyweight, and fewer crashes during the learning phase. Does this make sense?

In the end, I agree with others that the greatest advantage in progressing with freestyle tricks on the foil is a go-for-it mentality and the willingness to try new things. Same as on a TT. If you want to progress, you have to take some risks and push the limits a bit. But maybe being light is also advantageous on a foilboard? :thumb:

PurdyKiter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm
oregonkiter wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm
^^^

Yeah, my younger son picked up foiling in about 50 minutes. After two hours he was switching feet on foil in the middle of the choppy Columbia River on a 91 cm mast. I had been working on that for weeks. He told me, "I don't know, just switch your feet..." Day 4 he is sitting on foilboard, small strapless jumps etc. None of this is an exaggeration.

Some folks just "feel it" and flow with it. Others, like me, "fight it"until we finally give in and start to accept new movements.

And yes, both of us on the 633 wing. His "board" is a free wakeboard. He sawed off one end for 3' length, slapped epoxy on the cut, drilled four holes to mount mast, used bolts from hardware store, and gorilla glued down a collection of old and spare deck pads.
2014. Casa Verde in La Ventana. I'm sitting with my beer crying over my month in LV devoted to learning Foil. At this point I've ridden maybe 20 yards total for 20 sessions. LF Foil Fish.
A young woman sits down next to me and says "What's the big deal about foiling? I was ripping in 20 minutes"
Grrrrrr....

User avatar
K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby K-Roy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I agree totally!
Its easier for a lighter rider..

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Slingshot 633/590/DC36/SST
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: My beliefs have changed.

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:43 am

In the end, have a good time foiling. Cruz, progress, go off the hook....whatever:



Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blu, bricedenice, jatem and 4 guests

cron