Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Re: Is foilboarding the future?

Postby BraCuru » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Hawaiis wrote:What I meant was :I have never seen anyone put the hydrofoil on a 60cm wide race board.
Yep. Now clear :oops:
It's pretty fresh subject begun a year or two backwards.
Nowadays I am testing various foil race boards between 55-60cm. This is one of my prototypes:
I’d like to mention these boards are much suitable for light wind conditions than any adaptation of wave board. They are shorter, wider and fat. It allows me foiling the board already in 5kts on 13m kite. A classic wave need 2 kts more ish. Most of time I ride in light winds so it's important for me.
I believe that's direction of foil boards development in coming years: 55-60 by 140-150cm and volume 50-60ltrs. Not only for racers but for any anyone riding in sub 10kts conditions.

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby diogovilla » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

BraCuru wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:What I meant was :I have never seen anyone put the hydrofoil on a 60cm wide race board.
Nowadays I am testing various foil race boards between 55-60cm. This is one of my prototypes:
I’d like to mention these boards are much suitable for light wind conditions than any adaptation of wave board. They are shorter, wider and fat. It allows me foiling the board already in 5kts on 13m kite. A classic wave need 2 kts more ish. Most of time I ride in light winds so it's important for me.
I believe that's direction of foil boards development in coming years: 55-60 by 140-150cm and volume 50-60ltrs. Not only for racers but for any anyone riding in sub 10kts conditions.
I'm getting a little lost here. Why are you using bigger boards if the board is basically above the water (in the air)? What difference does it make?

tks

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:57 pm

The critical moment before the hydrofoil lifts off.
A hydrofoil requires more power than regular boards to lift off due to the 90cm long underwater structure.

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Hawaiis wrote:The critical moment before the hydrofoil lifts off.
A hydrofoil requires more power than regular boards to lift off due to the 90cm long underwater structure.
That makes sense. I have a really big race board and i'm considering changing it into a foil board. Exactly where should I place the foil?

tks

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:10 am

Most boards are placing the foil close to where the rear foot stands on the board.

Mako
Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: .

Postby Mako » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 am

Hawaiis wrote:Most boards are placing the foil close to where the rear foot stands on the board.
Hey Hawaiis,

I put this on the StCYC thread and realised would have been better on this one.

"Just throwing out the idea to maybe try out a foil type rear fin on a 70cm raceboard?

A primative "starfin" type rear fin that could work in unison with the cant from the front fins? or perhaps 3 starfins to replace all the fins? lift/foil the rear of the board out of the water, thus decrease drag & increase speed & get the best of both worlds?

http://www.cheynehoran.com.au/starfin.html

Any thoughts if it'd work to do a compromise, if it was under 50cm? would love to try on my 70cm race board, but from memory these fins were a bit soft and wouldn't fit into a tuttle type box."

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 am

The star fins look too small to be effective. They need to have a surface area of 1-2 square foot to be effective.
The standard foil length now is around 90cm.
The reason is you need some travel for the chops and waves. If the fins are 50cm, it will be hitting the water much of the time.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 am

BraCuru wrote:
How does this wider board work in bigger chops ? Doesn't catch ?

Mako
Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: .

Postby Mako » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 am

Hawaiis wrote:The star fins look too small to be effective. They need to have a surface area of 1-2 square foot to be effective.
The standard foil length now is around 90cm.
The reason is you need some travel for the chops and waves. If the fins are 50cm, it will be hitting the water much of the time.
Ok thank you, the starfin was just a reference being symmetrical on the vertical and asymmetrical on the wings. I understand from a pure kite foil board perspective they use 90 cm shafts to dodge chop & have large surface foil areas. Just checking against the rule of fins no longer than 50cm. Therefore, maybe leave the two forward fins at say 40 or whatever & then work out a compromise type 50 cm deep fin/foil to get the back of the board out of the water? Maybe a less severe foil as not to rip the tuttle box out. Wanting to use existing fin boxes as this is a requirement in the box rule, can only play with fins.

Being that it's just a guess at this stage and having zero interest in totalling my 70 cm race board, just thought I'd ask if it might work. maybe a hybrid of the Sword foilboard front wing bolted to a current 40 cm symmetrical rear fin somehow?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:11 pm

BraCuru wrote:One of the class rules states the max lenght of fins cannot exceed 500mm.
This rule was established in 2010/11 to pretend development of crazy & expensive fins as it had happened in Formula Windsurfing (a 70cm g10 blade worth tons of $$$)
500mm = 19.68"
At that length, the Maximum amount the materials for a carbon and Nomex-honeycomb fin,
couldn't exceed $200 for the home-builder. The Mold itself could be done for Under
the same amount, but then Ya get 50 to 75 parts before the mold starts to loose resolution.

That is NOT a Lot of money !! So ,"Why the rule" ??

And if that's really the reason for the rule, then there should be an Open-Class to
promote More and better technology ; otherwise there just promoting stagnation
for the sport.

Bille

Return to “Hydrofoil”