Style: Perfect
Gear: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Brand Affiliation: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Carafino Update: Race Board Logo

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello Kiteboarders Worldwide:
As the sand slips through the hour glass, I have been underground working day and night in the factory. This has kept me from bringing updates to the forum. However, I took a fast break tonight to let everyone know C A R A F I N O is still on schedule.

As I mentioned in our last video, we where delayed from receiving accessories such as foot strap inserts and our diamond mount plates from overseas. We also awaiting our newly designed cush awlgrip foot straps and foot pads to arrive. However, all is looking good with every supplier of our accessories providing us the support we need to stay on schedule.

I am sharing with you the Race board logo in this post. All our Race boards will feature the Queen Carafina on the boards. Logo dims are 40 cm x 30 cm.

Our C A R A F I N O traditional logo has moved to the Triumphant Arch to accommodate our new curve T bar. We will feature this logo on our boards as well.

Thank you for your patience, more to come in the next days.

Regards,
C A R A F I N O
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 12.11.17 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 12.11.17 AM.png (438.04 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 12.10.38 AM.png

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: C A R A F I N O UPDATE, RACE BOARD LOGO

Postby Tone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:43 pm

I have never seen another company promote the release of a logo design before.

That is certainly a first.

You can have that one :)

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:59 pm

If his Boards sink or Fly I respect the guy for doin what he's doin.

See's the market demand for lower cost hydrofoils that he's been trying to make a go of for years and jumping on the opportunity to bring the product to market using mass production at reasonable cost from what he's learned building the things over the last few years. There's some significant start up costs involved, so he's trying to raise some capital To make them fly.

Banks and typical Investers likely aren't too interested in fringe kiteboards
Nor is it really likely to get much attention in typical crowd sourcing venues.
He has to get kiteboarders stoked on ordering them.
Offering pre order deals like 2 for 1 deals etc. helps him pay for the tooling and start up costs. (or at least offset some of his loans)

So he's Showing off his molds, designs production location, even logos to let you know he's serious.

The man is going all in. His business, credit, name, reputation will be shit unless he is succesful at it He certainly won't sell another kiteboard here or anywhere if he fails.

Sure it COULD be total con-job, but there are way easier and smarter ways to rob people then taking video of yourself and your product with your name on it, going to various factories showing tooling, designs and assembly equipment and even logos for a relatively low volume product. Balance of probabilities strongly indicates the guys working his ass off trying to make a good product and sell a crap load of them to make some sustainable coin....others foil makers take note, you'll probably have to work through August to keep up.

Will he succeed, maybe, maybe not, Supplier could screw him, funds could dry up, production problems, lots of things could go wrong. All of which are fixable with time determination and usually some money to help stay ahead of his interest payments.

Personally I damn well hope he makes a go of it......I think the sport would be more fun with some successful low cost hydrofoils. and some reasonably priced fast ones.

Have I pre-ordered one. No, If I really wanted a hydrofoil, I'd build it myself, I have the tools, skill background and materials at my disposal to build something like this EXACTLY the way I want it. It would take a few iterations to get it dialed, but I'd have alot of fun in the process.
Otherwise if I really wanted one, I'd consider it.

Back to the topic at hand

Chick looks hot Love the logo! :)
can see you're obviously stoked on it too, as you wanted to show it to the forum.

calvin_1
Rare Poster
Gear: Tubes and foil kites

Postby calvin_1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:If his Boards sink or Fly I respect the guy for doin what he's doin.
Think so too :thumb:

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Carafino Update: Race Board Logo

Postby zfennell » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:06 am

good point johnny.

no reason why we cant just wait and see.

Dimitri survived his first fiasco, perhaps Manny will too.

I suspect its the common personality traits that drive each of them.
..and drive the rest of us nuts.

carry on.
-bill

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:45 pm

This Carafino, is how to release a product:

viewtopic.php?t=2383901&p=830565

My point: First you have the product, then you release it. Too much drumroll, suspicion that this could be vaporware or a scam, it erodes trust.

This looks like it should be on kickstarter. That way you are being forward with people that this is a product that you hope to have if development goes well.

I hope your product files.

Jake

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.
Favorite Beaches: Maui and the World.

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:29 pm

HI JAKEMORE:

Thanks for reading the post and I appreciate your skepticism. Drum rolls are cool, I like them. However, I understand your point of view.

The issue is that, this is how I want to proceed and how I want to do so is ultimately my choice.

You have to admit, this is not boring. If I were to show the product months or weeks ago. The topic would have fallen asleep already.

Enjoy the drumroll, I promise the encore will be exceptional. After the product is released, I will feature a video of exactly everything that went into creating the product to life. It will include how Carafino has traveled into 4 different countries to acquire the elements of the product and then bring them under one roof for completion. My travels through the Sumatra jungle transiting materials not found in Indonesia and are too time consuming to deliver through normal operating standards.

What one must realize, if having never traveled to Bali, is that Bali is a completely opposite country to what we know, when compared to the western world.

There is nothing "production" about a Carafino board, truly it is a work of art. What I admire the most about the Indonesians, throughout their history they are known as artist. For how they sculpture the land and create the most amazing rice paddy fields the world has seen. Even Sting has sung a song about "The Fields of Bali". The Indonesians are known for their paintings and also their carvings.

When I compare the work Indonesians do for Carafino, there is no comparison to China, Vietnam or Thailand. I do not say this to belittle those countries, however, Carafino is fortunate to work with artist in the creation of our boards, particularly the finishing.

Another thing that many people take for granted and forget when purchasing boards, is that the board must be created. We do not push a button and out pops a board. We have so many processes in the creation of one board, now multiply that by 600. We have to purchase the foam in blocks. Then we cut it to size, prep it for the machine to cut it to spec. After we route the hole for inserts. Laminate it, flip it over, insert the opposite side with attachment points. None of these areas can be out of spec more then 2mm. Thereafter, we have to sand it, lam again, sand again. Primer it, check for imperfections, fill them, primer, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, scuff, logo, clear, sand, polish, clear inserts from protection coating so resin does not go into the holes, be certain not to damage the board in the process, assemble it and then pack it.

Sure there are easier ways to do this, use a mold. However, with one mold you only get 2 boards per day with a mold and the method is more time consuming to manufacture.

Carafino has been making these types of products for over 13 years, we are not the drum rolling type of characters you may assume we are. We are perfectionist, I have learned in this business the first thing customers and non customers look for when admire our products, is imperfections.

Everyone looks for imperfections before they appreciate the beauty of the creation.

So if it appears I am beating the drum, so be it, I promise what I am creating will be breathtaking.

With regard to the graphic, for years Carafino never used graphics, we just used one solid color. This year we want to show our graphic to the customer, let them see a little bit of what is coming.

It wont be long......and after this project is stocked in great numbers, what is to come from Carafino for the sport of kiteboarding, will silence all of our opposition. If I was not sure of it, I would not waste my time doing it.

Best Regards,

C A R A F I N O

Splottie
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby Splottie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:09 pm

@ Carafino

Have you got pictures of you're final product yet? Would be very interested to see the foil and raceboard that you have finished!

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.
Favorite Beaches: Maui and the World.

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 am

Splottie wrote:@ Carafino

Have you got pictures of you're final product yet? Would be very interested to see the foil and raceboard that you have finished!
Thanks for the reply, this week. Yes,

Return to “Hydrofoil”