Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoil getting started instructional video and tips?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil getting started instructional video and tips?

Postby diogovilla » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks Randahl, your post was much appreciated. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 pm

diogovilla wrote:Thanks Randahl, your post was much appreciated. :thumb:
Randahl's post is really really good :D

And agree, that Loscosco's video is really typical and "how it is" the first many times, so dont be scared that "nothing works" for a while - it is part of the process :naughty:

Total respect for showing this video, that more than anything describes the first many attempts (and swearing a lot too, I did at least) :thumb:

8) PF

WCH
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby WCH » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:13 am

Take the time to take your board into head deep water, even a pool.
Work on leading the board around to get your feet in your straps. When you can do that, try it with one arm up over you head. You will find that you can do it in one direction, but it is harder in the other direction. Once you have your feet in the straps, try moving the board around with you feet to position a take off. Do this until you feel comfortable.
Now try it with a kite!

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 am

Mate,
thank you so much for your tips! this is incredibly helpful and will be useful to me and everybody who comes later.

I have been in Thailand for a few days now. only had one day of decent wind so far.
I can ride (without ridding for 10-15 sec) after that the board tends to go up and I fall -:)

but slowly I will get there. two more days of training left. I will write a report of what I learned after I get back. but I must say this has been so far a very humbling experience!!
Randahl wrote:If your technique ends up working, by all means share it. Loscocco's video looks pretty typical of the first 1-4 sessions, at least for me it was. I have seen a couple of guys "get it" on their first session but they were seasoned race guys. Of all the riding disciplines, I think coming from a twin-tip riding background might be the hardest.

Good luck!!

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:56 am

Loscocco,
yeah my experience last few days was exactly like urs. I fell so many times I lost count.

But huge progress yesterday. I now ride 20 sec at a time foiling. I am really getting there!
thanks all for your tips. by the end of today , I should be foiling!!!

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:14 am

Yes! I have succeeded. On the 3rd day, I was able to foil pretty much most of the tack in both directions. I am still very concious of the board and must look down at it to keep level. I guess it will take some time to get really relaxed. But I am thrilled to be able to foil thanks to valuable advise I got here and also at the beach from a local foiler.
Thank you all for help and tips!

My prep work (secret weapon) was definitely very useful as I think I skipped the part of learning to keep balance while up on the foil. I still fell a lot, but the feeling being UP and ridding on a wing is very similar to balancing on a "pivot" board in my apartment. I will post a video of Pivot Board exercise later when I am back home.

I am heading home in the afternoon today. Here is a video of my trip and it has a few seconds of me foiling :-) I am hooked!

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:47 am

Looks like you had a great trip. You are ahead of the game when your girl also kites.

So was the secret weapon training on the "indo" board?

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:04 am

I used "Pivot Board" to learn balancing before I went into the water. This home based exercise that I believe helps greatly shorten the learning curve on the water.

You can experience and learn the balancing skill needed to foil in the comfort of your own home.
It will not help with the initial steps of learning to keep the board in the water, but once you are getting the foil out of the water, you will be almost there ready to foil if you do this before hand.
At least this was my experience.

Here is a short video I put up to demonstrate the exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDTtSzCkqPQ

Randahl wrote:Looks like you had a great trip. You are ahead of the game when your girl also kites.

So was the secret weapon training on the "indo" board?

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 pm

The learning process does start in a fairly brutal way and a helmet and impact vest are recommended.

I went to Tarifa for two weeks and set myself a goal of doing 1-2 hrs hydrofoiling each day. To start, it was back to the start for the first hour, but the improvements came in the second hour. I found my thighs were getting heavily bruised from sideways falls off the foil and I bought some North ION cycle cross impact shorts which really helped.

On the second week, the progress came - still only achieving about 50% of surface gybes, tried foiling gybes (with no success) & can jump, just not land - will keep trying. I was surprised how many fish can be seen from the foil (some looked larger than I would have liked) and I did hit something tht didnt feel like seaweed! Anyway, the video below was shot handheld on the last day:
https://vimeo.com/101960223

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks to the advice here on kiteforum i got up and foiling on a borrowed MHL Lift on my second day, even managed to ride back downwind. The main points are to have a kite 2 to 3m less than for a TT and steady wind. I also read here that it is important to press down with your front foot and keep the board on the water as you build speed and then let the foil slowly come up, that was the key for me. If you are going too slow and let the foil come up then you will crash back down. I also found it helpful to keep the kite pretty low and ride with the back hand only on the bar and use the front hand to help balance. Anyway, what an awesome new sport!

Return to “Hydrofoil”