Rare Poster
Local Beach: knokke belgium
Gear: ozone dlight tt race surf foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kfa foil pops out?

Postby peterhightech » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 am

hi, i am sailing on a easy foil. Front wings is like a half moon. That works.
Now i have a second kfa foil with a very small, long frontwing, so more high end. And temaventoboard.
But impossible to ride that foil. As soon as it gets a little speed, the nose pops out the water.
Frontstrap completely in the front. I put my backf oot as far as possible to the front and push as hard as I can on the front of the board. No way. I get catapulted in the air.
Anyone can ride this foil?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: kfa foil pops out?

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:22 pm

High AR wings are a little harder to ride, but you should be able to get used to it in a couple of sessions. Every time I change a wing, the strap location seem to change a little, so riding strapless will help. If it is just too far off, you might want to remount the foil further back of the board.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Sounds like a problem with the AoT (angle of attack) of the back wing. It's probably set to high.

Try shimming the back wing for less AoT. Remember that the AoT of the back wing is the opposite of the front wing, so pointing down. When the AoT is to high on the back wing the foil has a tendency to nose up and the CoL is moved forward quite a bit.

So basically put a washer or something under the back wing to raise the front of it away from the fuselage.

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:24 pm

It sounds like too high AOA yes.

But it is a standard wing and board, that should work together, right ?

So seems like an error, IF it is very wrong in angle of attack (angle between front wing and tail stabilizer).

Both the straps and wings should be set to work, if delivered as a "unit" - so quite odd if it doesnt work ?

Hawaiis is right also, that going from a low ar easy wing to a high ar race, is really difficult in terms of pitch control, and many says it is like you have to learn everything from start again, when changing :wink:

But it must be set up wrongly, as you say it will pop up itself, no matter what you do with front foot pressure, even when moved to the most forward position.
Then something is wrong, indeed :roll:

Have you asked the manufacturer ?

8) PF

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:09 pm

I have a KFA on a temavento board. It took some mods to get it to work.

first questions - which KFA do you have? where is the mast mounted relative to the foils? Pics?

which Temavento do you have? Is the finbox positioned correctly for the KFA? or is it for another foil like the Spotz or other. This makes a huge difference.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:45 am

A racefoil is more difficult to ride. But it could also be your footstraps/foil are in wrong position. Dont Think it is The aoa

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:08 pm

peterhightech wrote:hi, i am sailing on a easy foil. Front wings is like a half moon. That works.
Now i have a second kfa foil with a very small, long frontwing, so more high end. And temaventoboard.
But impossible to ride that foil. As soon as it gets a little speed, the nose pops out the water.
Frontstrap completely in the front. I put my backf oot as far as possible to the front and push as hard as I can on the front of the board. No way. I get catapulted in the air.
Anyone can ride this foil?
How did it go ?

Was something wrong, or have you learned to ride it ?

Almost two months ago you wrote, so curios to what has happened since :rollgrin:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”