Medium Poster
Gear: Nobile 666,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Your worst injury from foiling

Postby Scuba » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:54 am

Hi chaps

Went out today for a usual hack on the river, was going quite well thought I would try for a bit more more speed (as the confidence grows), so headed onto a beam/broad reach, all was going well first time I had thought shit this is quick!
I was probably only going 20knots, still a winter frontal system no seabreaze yet, but a huge gust started what was the biggest foil bomb I have ever had, lucky I had my helmet on, I hit the water head first missed the board thank god but man I saw stars.
I headed in and packed away feeling slightly sick with an enormouse head ache,still feel sick 7hours later, slight concussion I think.

I always hurt my ankles to if the board rolls over.

No pain no gain.........

Think I'm getting to old for this new sport, body take a while to heal these days....lol!

Do you guys hurt yourselves at all?

Cheers

Scuba
:thumb:

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

You can get hurt

Postby revhed » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Sorry for your pain, nice to read you had your brain bucket in place!
I have cut my head twice from the foil flying up and stinging me even with helmet on, forehead where the helmet does not cover.
And way back in 2009 I sprained both ankles due to way to tight straps and incorrect foot postition.
And I still stress putting even only my front foot in a strap (front foot hook only for my boards)
because of just what you said about board rolling upwind and bending ankels and knees.
I almost always have a sore neck now as I am still not perfect at flying stance changes and do crash.
I will make a neck brace this winter similar to a airplane neck pillow to help support.
May I suggest that when you look for some faster flying keep your board closer to the water to help prevent strut suck and,or front wing exiting the H20.
Oh I almost forgot,
Just 2 weeks ago we tested a super small speed front wing and I bit it hard, and by trying to stop my fall with my forward arm I strained it up and did not fly for days! My shoulder was not happy with me. And of course once again my neck took a hit.
Be safe....
R H
I know for sure because I am much older now, that stretching is a must to keep healthy enough to recover from foil crashes!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Your worst injury from foiling

Postby Tone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:59 pm

not buying one and making it myself.

I have itched, cut myself and have spent more than it would cost to buy a Sword and board combo.

However, I have almost finished and I have learnt a TON about carbon.

Tony

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Only a few knocks and minor flesh wounds when learning.

But it's like anything, push it harder and you are likely to run out of talent sooner or later.

Keep it easy & comfortable, you are less likely to get hurt :D

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Good Thread :-)

Considering the amount of time I have spent foiling I have been lucky to have not had anything serious happen to me.

Worst injury was when I kicked the Foil from behind when I was trying to waterstart a Windsurf foil. That cut was deep into my foot.

So far I have been spared from being smacked by my board or foil as I always follow on simple rule: Crash fast and get pulled away from the foil. Hence I am usually nowhere near my foil when I crash. Most of my hard crashes have been while hitting something in the water at high speed, so the foil stops I and usually hit the water 20meters of more farther away.

--
Gunnar

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Randahl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Tone wrote:not buying one and making it myself.

I have itched, cut myself and have spent more than it would cost to buy a Sword and board combo.

However, I have almost finished and I have learnt a TON about carbon.

Tony

+1 about working with carbon. I have been doing some reinforcement on my fuselage and its my first time working with carbon. A buddy says, "it's just like working with fiberglass" This is true except carbon dust is like the plague. I have spent hundreds of hours working with fiberglass and the itch is NOTHING compared to carbon fiber. I got smart and started wearing a full Tyvek suit and respirator and rubber gloves and wetsanding if at all possible. I treat that stuff like radioactive poison oak... which is about how my body reacts to it.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

If at all possible sand, saw, and file OUTSIDE! still fully suit up, good mask most important!
If you ever fine sand dry inside with a halogen light you will see sparkling air, so freeking dangerous to inhale!!!!!
I also use rubber bands over the rubber gloves that are over thick long sleeves so I can sleep not itching!
A trick I learned from rock wool insulation guys is this.
Shower in cool h20 as to not open your pores.
Use a wash cloth in a 1 way motion, h20 only, gently over your skin rinsing each after each pass.
Then use baby shampoo and repeat.
I used to have to cut the f glass flange off after demolding skateboards in the early 80s, nothing compared to epoxy carbon.
Good (as air tight as possible) safty googles are a good idea as well to keep the shit out of your eyes.
Please be careful as it is hard to fly your foil if you are not feeling well.
And do not breath either curing epoxy or polyester, a quality chemical mask is a no brainer!!
R H
Strange, but not doing these things just might be your worst injury from foiling without you even knowing it until much later!!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”