Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: twin tip hydrofoil

Postby davesails7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Wouldn't anhedral be more effective on the two smaller wings than on the center, large wing? The point of the anhedral is to add directional stability in yaw, correct? I think it would be much more effective if it was further out from the center of rotation.

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ozchrisb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Hawaiis wrote: Please inform FK24 that I have a provisional patent since 2013.]
On what? The wing arrangement, the profile, the idea of a TT hydrofoil?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:12 pm

H,
Thanks for the video, it does prove your TT KBHF flies, hard to tell if well or not?
Feel flattered if you want, even if your reason is false.
Good luck with your patent, you will be unable to use it offensively, due to prior art.
As for French innovation in KBHFs, there is plenty of history and for sure more to come. :idea:
R H

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:24 pm

davesails7 wrote:Wouldn't anhedral be more effective on the two smaller wings than on the center, large wing? The point of the anhedral is to add directional stability in yaw, correct? I think it would be much more effective if it was further out from the center of rotation.
Anhedral adds both Roll and Yaw stability to the foil. If we put anhedral on all three wings, the prop wash will be closer, there will be more turbulence for the foils in the back. There are too many factors at play. Just have to pick the best compromise.
Last edited by Hawaiis on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings

Postby wil » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Interesting discussion. Especially the concern of revhed for my safety. I would have thought that a high drag twin tip hydrofoil would be flying a lot slower than a super sleek directional hydrofoil.

Looking at the clip from HawaiiS on his twin tip it appears to move quite slowly through the water. If that is the case the chance of horrific accidents are probably no greater than flying a modern fast directional hydrofoil.

It is a pity that we don't have a clear video (from land) to see how the HawaiiS twin tip rides.

In regards to where to put anhedral - dihedral on centre wing or outer wings I am still a bit confused.

Looking at the photo that revhed attached it looks like anhedral on the centre wing and dihedral on the outer wings. Looking at the photo it appears that the rider is pretty confident. He must have been able to build up quite a bit of speed to lift out of the water.

HawaiiS do you think that that the tips on the wings can be rounded off so there are no actual sharp edges (similar to the photo attached by revhed) compared to your very sharp and square wings.

Cannot wait to get the call from the welders to have a go.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:41 pm

ozchrisb wrote:
Hawaiis wrote: Please inform FK24 that I have a provisional patent since 2013.]
On what? The wing arrangement, the profile, the idea of a TT hydrofoil?
The patent is still pending.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 pm

wil wrote:Interesting discussion. Especially the concern of revhed for my safety. I would have thought that a high drag twin tip hydrofoil would be flying a lot slower than a super sleek directional hydrofoil.

Looking at the clip from HawaiiS on his twin tip it appears to move quite slowly through the water. If that is the case the chance of horrific accidents are probably no greater than flying a modern fast directional hydrofoil.

It is a pity that we don't have a clear video (from land) to see how the HawaiiS twin tip rides.

In regards to where to put anhedral - dihedral on centre wing or outer wings I am still a bit confused.

Looking at the photo that revhed attached it looks like anhedral on the centre wing and dihedral on the outer wings. Looking at the photo it appears that the rider is pretty confident. He must have been able to build up quite a bit of speed to lift out of the water.

HawaiiS do you think that that the tips on the wings can be rounded off so there are no actual sharp edges (similar to the photo attached by revhed) compared to your very sharp and square wings.

Cannot wait to get the call from the welders to have a go.
Diehedral on the two smaller wings will probably add more Kangaroo effect hence better for jumping.
I did round off the corners, FK24 just rounded off more. Titanium is very hard to cut, I did not cut it to optimum elliptical shape yet since it is only a prototype, I use the same wings for both directional and bi-directional testings.

wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings

Postby wil » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:30 am

Got my mast and fuselage back from welders today. Not sure now whether to continue with the twin tip idea or to go to a directional. I am making a board 150 x 51 from Paulownia as well.
Attachments
20141217_160354[1].jpg
20141217_153929[1].jpg

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:49 am

looks really good, it can be used either as a twintip or surfboard.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Wl,
You may have stumbled onto something interesting.
A sym strut is not the best profile but it will work, ala 1st gen caracrap, airchair copy.
Yours looks wider, I guess 11 cm or so? it will fly just not fast or well in the lowind.
And this is needed for a bi di design for sure.
Looking at your parts you should be able to configure a DIR fuse and a BD fuse using the same strut and by sliding it you can change wing locations relative to both the strut and each other.
Maybe the first BD, DR convertible KBHF! :idea:
Only because you asked repeatedly I did some ultra fast, crude not to scale specs for my next modded B D build. These will, have fllown, but as I told you good B D KBHF design is a way off.
These are in working with FK24 with a few mods.
P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
strut 80- 90 cm
fuse 75-80 cm
board stance 65-70 cm
note aile c has flat bottom profile but maybe I will go sym here also so you can test tips up or down as well as fore aft ailes tips up or down just to feel the diference.
So far c wing tips curved down other 2 up.
Search NACA profiles to find a sym one that looks good for the fore ,aft ailes.My drawing is not good! Something with a nice progresive curve.
Fore,aft wing mounted AOAs extreamly critical, .5 neg, inside seems to be a starting point.
all L Es should be rounded more than most DIRs
For safty I will make 2 "side foot hooks" because B D crashes can be intense!
It also seems better to have a more Banana rockered TT board with very round rails?
Some other photos of oher surface piercing B Ds
foil_bidi1.jpg
foil_bidi1.jpg (142.13 KiB) Viewed 954 times
foil_bidi3.jpg
foil_bidi3.jpg (144.66 KiB) Viewed 954 times
foil_bidi_split.png
foil_bidi_split.png (183.06 KiB) Viewed 954 times
I just hope to build something that flies better.
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”