Medium Poster
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 3 most important things?

Postby joyrider1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:28 pm

I had 8 sessions so far, maybe 10-12 hours all together. Foiling/flying over a longer distance in both directions on the third day is very well possible for an average talented kiter with a few years’ experience in directional boards and good kite control.

1) Be fit physically and mentally. Don’t start foiling after another exhausting exercise or long kite session. You might need more concentration learning this than in many other sports. If you are not concentrated enough, even smaller mistakes might hurt badly or you might injure yourself much more severely than without the foil. (Even more important for a +40 age like me)
2) Do not try to fly unless you can go for about 100 meters with the foilboard in the water, both directions. Important for the water start out of the water: Try to make it smoother than usual, do not try to rush away, but get your body centered over the board.
3) The first flights: Do not lean too much against the kite but stand as centered over the board as possible and put your rear foot much closer to the front foot than in any other kiting situation. This is also helpful for the previous point 2)![/list]

Preparing exercise without the foil: Try to kite as slow as possible with your directional, without the foil mounted, and your weight almost entirely on your front foot. Control your speed just by sheeting the bar, do not lean too much against the kite. This exercise helped me a lot.

Straps: I only had the front one mounted, for an easier launch and a reliable foot position. I did not need the rear one at any time so far.

Can`t wait for session 9, maybe in February....

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 pm

Super stoked!!! Its so addicting. I put some thoughts in a blog, but really what i want to say is, thank you! For all the folks that take time to contribute pisitively to the comunity...thank you. Big help!

http://atlantickiteboarding.com/learnin ... oil-board/

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:03 pm

When beginning to learn, I'm 240 lbs/110 kgs. What size Kite should I start w in the Beggining with a Foilboard like the Alpine or the LF?

Thanks in advance,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:15 pm

14ToeSide wrote:When beginning to learn, I'm 240 lbs/110 kgs. What size Kite should I start w in the Beggining with a Foilboard like the Alpine or the LF?

Thanks in advance,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

If you're in the ocean the best conditions for a beginner with your weight with the LF is about 11-12mph (lightwind= minimum chop) with a 12m and long lines (30m) or 14m kite and regular lines.

I find the longer lines help because it allows you to use a smaller kite so that you only have power when you need it this way you wont get overpowered

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

You want to send a 240lbs dude out in 10knots on a 12m? I'd consider this advanced conditions at that weight. Let's be realistic and make that 15knots so 17mph would be your ideal wind. Let's say 13knots to 18knots should be pretty good. 10m to 12m kite.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks for the Input. If it's Blowin 14 MPH and up in the Ocean I Kite in, the waves and conditions would not be conducive to learn in. Are you saying that in 12 MPH or less that I shouldn't Try and Learn in the Beggining?

polykarb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Australia / New Zealand.
Style: steezy.
Gear: Slingshot, Ozone, Liquid Force, Mystic.

Postby polykarb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 pm

regarding 110kg learning, im the same weight..

Ive forced myself to use a small kite (12m RPM) and think it light winds next time i may try my 14m Rpm on longer lines.

Being heavier i found it is hard to get a slow flight, but you can pump it up like you would to gain speed on a small wave..

Im just at the stage now where my confidence is allowing me to maintain the speed required to foil..

I have been using both straps, which makes it easier for starting.
Its a calculated risk to use both straps, if i feel a slam coming i eject rather than try and save it.

yet to feel overpowered? but have only been out a few times.

Almost ready to start filming...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:26 pm

joyrider1 wrote:I had 8 sessions so far, maybe 10-12 hours all together. Foiling/flying over a longer distance in both directions on the third day is very well possible for an average talented kiter with a few years’ experience in directional boards and good kite control.

1) Be fit physically and mentally. Don’t start foiling after another exhausting exercise or long kite session. You might need more concentration learning this than in many other sports. If you are not concentrated enough, even smaller mistakes might hurt badly or you might injure yourself much more severely than without the foil. (Even more important for a +40 age like me)

Snip...
Hi

Above is maybe THE best single tip I've ever seen, and so right :thumb:

You will be BOMBED like you have ever never been before, after a half hour only, on the first experiences, and maybe half a year depending on your learning rate...

Does not matter if you try in light wind, where you'll have to fight with everything to keep the kite "up", or in powered waveconditions where you will learn the "hard" way (like I did), getting up foiling immediately (you have no other option with a small board in waves - as it can not ride when "down").
Both takes their toll in two completely opposite ways, the first because of concentration and maybe "fear" if the wind is sideshore and it is cold and you KNOW you have to swim/drift ashore a long way if it goes in the water, and a lot of looping the kite thus more difficult to bodydrag for your board...
The other is simply physical toll, as you will chrash hard and fast many many times...

But both (almost opposite) methods will work great for learning to foil - I dont think one is better than the other :naughty:

So as you write, I agree:

DONT do it if tired, and expect to be really really pressed to your physical extremes, so be fit or take really short sessions when learning (also the best way to learn - many short sessions).
You use a huge amount of energy because everything is new !

When you CAN ride, you use no energy whatsoever, and a piece of cake not requiring anything - but when learning, blimey you get beat up :wink:

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:16 am

My first few sessions I tried to go with a small kite and it didn't work out. First few sessions were mostly with the board on the water, so I did better with the same size kite that I would have flown with a surfboard.

I wanted to wait for perfect conditions, but I was impatient. I'm 165 lbs and was out trying to foil in 10 mph of wind with a 13 edge and it just wasn't happening. Switched to 18m dyno and I was up and foiling right away (100 feet at a time at least).

Haven't tried longer lines yet though

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:28 am

My best beginner sessions were in light wind 8 to 12 knots on a large kite 19 edge. Try not to go up wind to much or you will have to do some drastic down winders which is not easy on a foil. The big kites on low wind will help a lot to cruise down wind. My two cents.

Return to “Hydrofoil”