Learning to Kite Board Hydro Foil, Safely

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning to Kite Board Hydro Foil, Safely

Postby noahsw » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:55 pm

Just learned to foil and I had a few more tips to add:

1. When water starting, if the board isn't aligned quite right, get out of the straps and start over. If you wrestle the board back in front of you with your abs or legs, you'll waste a ton of energy. The foil will automatically follow you downwind so don't worry about having to bodydrag a ton.

2. If you're headed for a wipeout, get out of the straps and jump off asap. The crashes will be far less painful than going down with the board.

3. When you do wipeout, if you don't know exactly where the foil is, cover your face and neck with your arms. I took a fin to the chin and the wife was not pleased.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:46 am

If footstraps are such an issue. Would something with a resetable weak link be worth investigatin Eg on end held down with Velcro?

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:20 pm

I started on a race foil with three straps. People should do what they feel most comfortable with. I still have no idea why people say that using the back strap is unsafe. If you fall of the board and stay in all straps you will not hurt your ankles. It is only when you are doing a transition and fail that your ankles and knees take a hit.

Try not to go out overpowered, in the beginning I was using a size smaller than I would on a race board, but now I am back up to roughly the same size as I would take on a race board.

It took three hours approximately to get foiling somewhat stable in both directions, and maybe three more to get some control over what direction I was heading.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lieutenantglorp » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:07 pm

cglazier wrote: It is a shame that anyone is stuck on just one mode or the other.

Anyway, do whatever you want but don't be afraid to ride with straps or strapless. Both are fun.

:wink: CG
I feel the same way. Except it is a shame more people have not considered or tried foot hooks. Best of both worlds once properly modified and correctly positioned. Very bootie friendly and wipeout friendly :) Why limit your choices to two?
20141109_152909.jpg

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:48 pm

FrederikS wrote: I still have no idea why people say that using the back strap is unsafe. If you fall of the board and stay in all straps you will not hurt your ankles. It is only when you are doing a transition and fail that your ankles and knees take a hit.
Sorry I must take issue with both of these statements.
A tourist contact we made last summer was conviensed that he was safe using two straps, he did not feel that way after 2 hyperextended ankels from falling windward with both feet stuck in the straps.
Had he used only 1 front strap in exactly the same scenario logic says he would have had 1 hyperextened ankel, or maybe the other would have released all together, or P F might counter a twisted knee in a worst case.
Forgive me if I repeate myself on this thread but I , we ( Med coast France) were sure everyone around the world learned with only 1 front strap, correctly adjusted loose, or better yet a front foot hook.
It shocks me still that this is not the case? :?:
It just seems so much better to learn the feel of the foil moving thru the H20 with the rear foot just slightly in front of the "sweet flying spot" and then when comfortable move it back to lift off.
Even more so for a set up you do not know as different pilots will like different weight distribution stances. No rear strap makes it much easier to find your own stance when testing new wings or someone elses KBHF.
And when it comes time to do stance changes I would think the freedom of rear foot placement should help to learn.
R H
In closing,
FOOT HOOK,S ROCK :!: :thumb: :D

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:59 pm

lieutenantglorp wrote:
cglazier wrote: It is a shame that anyone is stuck on just one mode or the other.

Anyway, do whatever you want but don't be afraid to ride with straps or strapless. Both are fun.

I feel the same way. Except it is a shame more people have not considered or tried foot hooks. Best of both worlds once properly modified and correctly positioned. Very bootie friendly and wipeout friendly :) Why limit your choices to two?
20141109_152909.jpg
I sure like the shape of your board and of course the 3 FOOT HOOK set up ROCKS :thumb:
May I ask who made your board and the specs? :?:
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:40 pm

lieutenantglorp wrote:

20141109_152909.jpg
Agree, that the foot hooks should work well for beginners :thumb:

But disagree hugely, that it is "the best of both worlds" :roll:

It could also be the "worst of both worlds" in some scenarios ? :wink:

(Just like mutants/bidis in waves has died totally, bad at everything and a compromise, instead of being good at everything)

I dont think it is either of above, but as Chris and others say - different and choose whatever you like the best :D

Differences:

Foothooks, advantages over strapless or straps:

Almost as easy as straps, to waterstart (tilt/hold the board).

Almost or no risk for getting caught in hooks thus no injury risk (like strapless vs straps).

You can use the hooks as straps for tricks like 360s and similar, and for feeling more secure at high speed in big chop or when board is down on the surface.

Less or no stress on the hydrofoil when you run aground, compared to straps (almost as strapless).

Foothooks, disadvantages from strapless or straps:

You can not jump (vs straps)..

You dont feel free to move your feet "everywhere" you want, so not as strapless where NOTHING is in the way.

Not as clean as strapless, the look and feel, and still not the good connection as straps (allowing jumps)..

(And the ability to let the board stay upside down on the beach or in the car ha haa)

-----------------------------

Did I miss anything ?
One reason hooks is not used for learning, is they are not currently commonly available and not used/delivered with any boards, not hydrofoil boards nor the re-built non-hydrofoil boards.
So because of this, and because the aim for most or all is to go strapped OR strapless as soon as they have learned - they choose to start strapped (two straps most common).
If hooks were something you got with every board, or could get in every store, things would most likely be very different for learning purposes, indeed, and I like the idea.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”