Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foot hooks

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jaros
Frequent Poster
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Slovenia
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

foot hooks

Postby jaros » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:46 am

Hi,
Foot hooks of which brand are you using, and where can they be bought in Europe (online)?
Has anyone made a home build version?
Greetings,
Jaros

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby juandesooka » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:23 am

I think foot hooks were popular in the transition between strapped and strapless surfboard riding. I don't think it's very common any more, but seems to me a good middle ground...freedom of foot movement but some grab when you need it.

NSI Klingon is the one I know of: http://www.live2kite.com/nsi-klingon-hooks-p-660.html
Image

Predator foot straps are recommended online, but never found anyone that still sells them. Image

A friend cut his own hook out of a hard foam yoga block, though figures he spent as much in parts as the klingon would have cost.

joyrider1
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: foot hooks

Postby joyrider1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 pm

So far only ideas but no practical experience.
My first prototype:
DSC00460.jpg
Just as an example: Take a plastic cup or piece/cube of wood and cut/shape it to desired size/height. Mount on top something like a very thick rigid rubber sole of a shoe or a piece of some kind of car tyre or …… Mount it with two screws into the holes where the foot strap usually is. Thus it can not turn or twist.
On the picture I have not yet cut away the front part of the shoe. The orange thing under the shoe is the cut plastic cup. I chose a plastic cup because of the very little weight and still being quite strong. As an alternative to the sole of a shoe you might think of something like a part of an old car tyre or any rigid rubber part (no sharp edges).
The looks? I don’t care…


Alternative idea to foothook:
[/size]
DSC00462.jpg
Mount the front strap even further forward just for the use of water start. As soon as you are over the board safely you can take your front foot out of the foot strap and place it where ever you want to . Big advantage: After the waterstart there is not anything in the way of your front foot any more.
Fixation: Since there is no further fixation point in front you can use the most forward screw hole as a connection point for the rear part of the strap. The front part of the strap can be for example mounted with help of a suction cup. You could use something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Replacement ... gps+holder
I just took away the upper part from the whole device and tied the suction part to the front part of the foot strap. If the board surface and suction surface is really perfectly clean the suction cup should hold quite a lot of power. Should work better in warm temperatures, in really cold water it might detach more easily. It might hold better on the board if you warmed the suction surface at home with a hair dryer?
Reattachment of the suction part to the board on the water? Might be difficult....

Besides: Always think of protecting sharp or metal parts with soft cover.

How well (or at all) these two alternatives work I can tell at the end of February.

Have fun and ride safe :bye:

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: S.P.I. TX. / Canon City Co.
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:09 pm

I used Klingon and predators back in the day, predators are much more secure, klingons worked well to learn ollies and board offs with a skim board. I also made a set of predator type by sandwiching some semi rigid plastic which I heat molded between layers of kayak outfitting foam, worked ok. Predators havnt been available for 6 or 7 years but I found these and bought a set for the foil,
probably the last we'll ever see, Get-em while you can >>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121529446499?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9315
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

Denisesewa wrote:I used Klingon and predators back in the day, predators are much more secure, klingons worked well to learn ollies and board offs with a skim board. I also made a set of predator type by sandwiching some semi rigid plastic which I heat molded between layers of kayak outfitting foam, worked ok. Predators havnt been available for 6 or 7 years but I found these and bought a set for the foil,
probably the last we'll ever see, Get-em while you can >>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121529446499?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Your link does not work - you have to use the URL from above the text, otherwise it is useless :roll:

Only works with really short links, without the url's.


I really like the idea of foot hooks, for learning primarily.

But it seems like they are very tough on the inserts, working like a pincer/crowbar ?
I dont like that, a lot of stress on the board/inserts.

Very safe though :thumb:

8) PF

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: S.P.I. TX. / Canon City Co.
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Denisesewa wrote:I used Klingon and predators back in the day, predators are much more secure, klingons worked well to learn ollies and board offs with a skim board. I also made a set of predator type by sandwiching some semi rigid plastic which I heat molded between layers of kayak outfitting foam, worked ok. Predators havnt been available for 6 or 7 years but I found these and bought a set for the foil,
probably the last we'll ever see, Get-em while you can >>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121529446499?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Your link does not work - you have to use the URL from above the text, otherwise it is useless :roll:

Only works with really short links, without the url's.


I really like the idea of foot hooks, for learning primarily.

But it seems like they are very tough on the inserts, working like a pincer/crowbar ?
I dont like that, a lot of stress on the board/inserts.

Very safe though :thumb:

8) PF
Funny, the link works perfect for me, O-well people can always copy and paste if they are interested.
I think hooks are not too bad on inserts since they flex and release the foot before very much force is aplied.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: S.P.I. TX. / Canon City Co.
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:17 pm


revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:15 pm
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites
Location: France
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby revhed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Foot hook reinforcement
P1010018.JPG
Because it felt to flexable I added long screws thru a thin fiber glass plate and inserts with an alu base plate, having 4 inserts total.
Thanks to some ones great idea (here on this forum) I cut about half of the horizontal, part now even better.
I can provide a photo if wanted.
It is mounted about 3 cms forward of my prefered front foot trim stance allowing strapless H20 starts but with the option of using it if needed.
If the wind is strong and gusty, waves or chop, or I get tired it sure is nice to have just enough board control aid to water start.
I will add agian that I firmly believe that for a nubie this has to be the safest way to learn with the added benifit of less damage to your rig if you run aground.
R H

faklord
Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby faklord » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Yep. I'd be interested in seeing more photos of your foot hook mods.
Thanks

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9315
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: foot hooks

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Denisesewa wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Denisesewa wrote:I used Klingon and predators back in the day, predators are much more secure, klingons worked well to learn ollies and board offs with a skim board. I also made a set of predator type by sandwiching some semi rigid plastic which I heat molded between layers of kayak outfitting foam, worked ok. Predators havnt been available for 6 or 7 years but I found these and bought a set for the foil,
probably the last we'll ever see, Get-em while you can >>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121529446499?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Your link does not work - you have to use the URL from above the text, otherwise it is useless :roll:

Only works with really short links, without the url's.


I really like the idea of foot hooks, for learning primarily.

But it seems like they are very tough on the inserts, working like a pincer/crowbar ?
I dont like that, a lot of stress on the board/inserts.

Very safe though :thumb:

8) PF
Funny, the link works perfect for me, O-well people can always copy and paste if they are interested.
I think hooks are not too bad on inserts since they flex and release the foot before very much force is aplied.
Sorry - you are right, it actually works, eventhough it is not a true link, but half a link.

No, one can not copy paste, as the text you copy is: "http://www.ebay.com/itm/121529446499?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" and this is, as you can see, your original copied link that has been destroyed and "..." put in the string so it wont work unless you are lucky it can resolve the right target even with a distorted link (and it CAN, in this case).

Still, a good idea to use the URL brackets, as then you know it will always work :thumb:


Thanks, I bought that pair of Predators on your link right now, nice to have and try, could be useful maybe also for others to borrow and use when learning :rollgrin:

8) PF


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron