Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

New board shapes

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:42 am

I don't think this was posted on here yet. Adam Koch had posted some video and pictures of a new board design that looks like a miniature moth:

The idea doesn't make much sense to me, but who knows, could be good. Always interesting to see someone trying something new. It seems like when the nose of the board comes down, you need planing surface area to lift the nose back up.

I think the narrow displacement hull shape works for a moth because they have an automatic height control to keep the nose up.

Delta Hydrofoil also posted some pictures on their facebook page of a board with a deep-V planing hull like a powerboat. However, their initial review was that it was too directionally stable on the water, pending further testing. This shape makes more sense to me. You still get the (projected) planing surface area to lift the nose back up, but it's more gradual.

https://www.facebook.com/deltahydrofoil?fref=photo

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: New board shapes

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:46 am

Also people had commented that you could make the boards hollow inside and either store your foil inside the board for transport or put supplies inside for long distance trips :D

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:04 am

Hate to say it, but once again Carafino was first...not sure I will like to ride that kind of design though?
Attachments
image.jpg

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Last edited by james on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 pm

C'mon, and boats were around for ages before moths!

That pointy shape was in some of Mango's gibberish..... He was bringing it to kite hydrofoil is the point. We all know why that didn't happen.

Note: This is not a defence of Carafino, dude is a pariah of his own making, its simply saying "true dat" to Lander's post.

What Adam is riding really does look like a copy of a moth and as pointed out thats not really all that logical seeing as they have wings to hike out on, and self adjusting foils. The shape in the shaping bay looks far more progressive than a simple cut and paste. Less dead weight, but it implies the rider is so good they almost never touch down....... i.e. racers of Adams calibre.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Wish I never posted.. It always Goes to shit as soon as people do the "he did it first" bullshit

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Yeah, good point. Forgot about Mango's board. His looked like a racing SUP board to me. I can't find his video now, but if I remember correctly, he seemed to be saying that it was very difficult to ride. If he was saying anything even remotely negative about his own design it must be seriously bad, because he tended to embellish the facts in his favor just a bit :wink:
Starsky wrote:Less dead weight, but it implies the rider is so good they almost never touch down....... i.e. racers of Adams calibre.
I think even the best racers have to touch down once or twice per race, especially at the start. From the videos of the last gold cup race, even the best guys had a few wipeouts on the downwind legs. I can see this design could have less resistance if you are clipping the tops of waves, but I don't think it can outweigh the downside of a wipeout that you could have prevented with a wide-nosed board.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Gear: Kites

Postby dwaynej » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:43 pm

james wrote:Wish I never posted.. It always Goes to shit as soon as people do the "he did it first" bullshit
You're cool. Irrespective of who said did whatever, the neat thing is that a modified board is a consideration. Got me thinking about a board that can be used to secure stuff for long distance trips. So thanks!

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:44 am

davesails7 wrote: I think even the best racers have to touch down once or twice per race, especially at the start. From the videos of the last gold cup race, even the best guys had a few wipeouts on the downwind legs. I can see this design could have less resistance if you are clipping the tops of waves, but I don't think it can outweigh the downside of a wipeout that you could have prevented with a wide-nosed board.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
A wide nose board may actually cause the wipe out, it has a lot of drag compared to a narrow board so with a touch down going from little drag created by the foil to a lot of drag created by the board what is the result of the momentum of your body and kite still wanting to go forward!

As most of the people here aren't into racing or pushing the limits to go faster this board shape will be of little benefit.

But the thought of touching down and having a huge drag created by a large board at a ridiculous speed is like throwing a sea anchor at the back, this is what is driving a design like this.
If you can prevent one touch down per session that might mean you won a race, it might mean you didnt break a bone and could continue to break a speed record.

Falling off at 30knots even puts a huge amount of load on the kite which might break it, stretch it, end your day or your whole trip if you have traveled half way around the world to a competition so there are many reasons to look for ways to do it better.

In light winds a narrow board may even break away from the water earlier as there is less board sticking to the water which will allow the foil to do its job quicker, from a racing point of view this might mean you could be 20m in front of the next guy.

It is all interesting development thats for sure :thumb:

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:06 pm

On the topic of new board shapes what do people think of the hulls with deep double concaves in the front? Seems the idea is to cut through chop better on touch down, but wonder if the they are too directionly stable, especially touching down mid-turn, would the board just want to track straight?

Anyone here spent some time on this type of shape?

Here is one example,but I think I have seen others:

http://www.cametkiteboarding.com/

Return to “Hydrofoil”