Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to foil steadily??

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
brunoperez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami Beach
Favorite Beaches: Miami Beach, Crandon, Matheson, Cabarete, Cape Hatteras, Long Island New York, Puerto Rico ,
Style: Hydrofoil, riding, jumping
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to foil steadily??

Postby brunoperez » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Be patient at the beginning, make baby steps, and once you get it you will not want to twin tip anymore.
Do baby steps, 10 meters, 20 meters,,30, 40 50 meters and your body will get it. To stay up, put kite at 12, sheet in, and use the bar to maintain balance like a pole, body straight over the board, and shoulder over the board, and enough speed otherwise you will fall. Don't begin to do turns until you can go back and forth for at least 1 km each way. Turning is hard, I can only jibe on 1 side and stay toe side.
Also take frequent breaks in between sessions it seems that the brain/muscle memory learn faster
Finally this is awesome for light wind but do not learn in light wind conditions until you understand how this all works, trust me you will save lots of frustrations.
Kiteboarding changed my life 12 years ago, and now foilboarding did it it again 9 months ago , I have been riding at least 3 times more than before in zero wind conditions (or it seems)
I think it is going to revolutionized the industry ...

andrewkiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: hood river
Favorite Beaches: la ventana, los barriles
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: ozone edge and RPM

Postby andrewkiter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:21 pm

revhed wrote:P F,
I could not see the wing see the F wing profile from those photos, even zoomed, can you?
If I could it would be easy to see if it is correct.
Of course the spitfire planform has it`s place in history, but does Lift do this now?
R H
I also thought it was wrong and tried mounting it the other way around but the plate that goes between the Front wing and the fusulage wouldn't fit right and did the other way.
I will get you another pic from a better angle. And also, rear wing is a bit small how does that relate?

andrewkiter
Medium Poster

Postby andrewkiter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Tone wrote:My friend Apos told me the secret last time I was out.

When you're up on the foil, you control how high you are foiling by pulling the bar in or pushing the bar out. This works a charm. I too am learning on a race wing so for sure it is a little trickier but this method worked SO well.

If you're coming up too high, push the bar out and if you want to come a little higher up, pull the bar in.

Of course everything else important like the bending of the knees and the weight off he back foot.

try it out.

Tony
Yeah! That's a good one, I was figuring it out last session works awesome!
Thanks for the advice still

andrewkiter
Medium Poster

Postby andrewkiter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Tone wrote:When you're up on the foil, you control how high you are foiling by pulling the bar in or pushing the bar out. This works a charm. I too am learning on a race wing so for sure it is a little trickier but this method worked SO well.
That was one of my "aha!" moments as well. Definitely helped when I realized that.

The other big thing I realized is when you get to high, and the foil ventilates, right away put your weight on your back foot so that the nose doesn't dig in. If you do that you can recover from the crash down.
andrewkiter wrote:I am an avid kiter and have a very good backround riding the race board, thought I could jump to a high AR foil and do fine right a way..
Don't worry, it just takes time! Your reactions have to be instant, no time to think about it. I thought it was impossible a few months ago also.

I had the same thought, that the raceboard experience would carry over, so I should go straight to racefoil. Also,I saw a bunch of comments that people had learned on freeride foils and then felt like they were starting over anyway when they went to the race foil. I went with a Delta foil which I think on a scale from freeride to race, is about as race-specific as the MHL race wings, but easier to ride than the Spotz or Sword. I also thought I'd be cruising around in no time, but it has been a lot harder than I expected.

The one thing that has carried over directly from the raceboard is the touchdown tacks (back to wind) and touchdown jibes. I'm on session 8 now and riding very consistently. I land about 50% of my touchdown tacks and jibes. Every time is better. Last session was so good, I couldn't stop smiling.

I haven't gotten a chance to try a freeride foil, so can't compare. Now that I got over the learning hump, I'm happy I went straight to the race foil. This thing is fast and I love it!

Tought I wouldn't need the freeride wings, a waste of cash but maybe they would've been good.
My friend who has maybe 6 or 7 sessions with the Spotz and rides it pretty well wasn't able to get up in mine which is weird since their both high AR foils

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:11 pm

andrewkiter wrote:
davesails7 wrote:
Tone wrote:When you're up on the foil, you control how high you are foiling by pulling the bar in or pushing the bar out. This works a charm. I too am learning on a race wing so for sure it is a little trickier but this method worked SO well.
That was one of my "aha!" moments as well. Definitely helped when I realized that.

The other big thing I realized is when you get to high, and the foil ventilates, right away put your weight on your back foot so that the nose doesn't dig in. If you do that you can recover from the crash down.
andrewkiter wrote:I am an avid kiter and have a very good backround riding the race board, thought I could jump to a high AR foil and do fine right a way..
Don't worry, it just takes time! Your reactions have to be instant, no time to think about it. I thought it was impossible a few months ago also.

I had the same thought, that the raceboard experience would carry over, so I should go straight to racefoil. Also,I saw a bunch of comments that people had learned on freeride foils and then felt like they were starting over anyway when they went to the race foil. I went with a Delta foil which I think on a scale from freeride to race, is about as race-specific as the MHL race wings, but easier to ride than the Spotz or Sword. I also thought I'd be cruising around in no time, but it has been a lot harder than I expected.

The one thing that has carried over directly from the raceboard is the touchdown tacks (back to wind) and touchdown jibes. I'm on session 8 now and riding very consistently. I land about 50% of my touchdown tacks and jibes. Every time is better. Last session was so good, I couldn't stop smiling.

I haven't gotten a chance to try a freeride foil, so can't compare. Now that I got over the learning hump, I'm happy I went straight to the race foil. This thing is fast and I love it!

Tought I wouldn't need the freeride wings, a waste of cash but maybe they would've been good.
My friend who has maybe 6 or 7 sessions with the Spotz and rides it pretty well wasn't able to get up in mine which is weird since their both high AR foils
Not all Foils are the same, and you cannot generalise and say that all High-AR Wings are more difficult and all Low-AR wings are easy. I have tested quite a few different brands foils and there are huge differences in how they have balanced their Foils, construction, profiles used etc etc.

In the end anyone can learn on any foil given some time. You need to let your body develop the muscle memory for the given Foil. Your friend is very used to riding his Spotz, so he to would take time to adjust to the Lift foil you have.

Stick with it and you will get used to it.

The wing is the right way around. I also prefer this wing outline with a straight leading edge. I find it easier to ride a speed when it's wavy. My production foils have had this wing shape since last year and I am glad that Lift has caught onto it too.

--
Gunnar

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Andrew, If you get a chance to get the stock wings (4 bolt front) for the MHL you will be amayzed how easy it is to ride. Learnt on this setup and was foiling (not pretty :) ) in the first hour. The stock wings enable you to foil at really low speeds (almost crawling) and in super light winds (ie if kite flies you can foil). The high aspect foil will make it more challenging to learn to foil and most likely will require that you ride at higher speeds to maintain foiling, which can be intimidating when learning. Best of luck on the awesome foil adventure!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”