Im sitting here on Sal island planning to start my fist hydrofoil build. I have been looking around here on the forum for over a year now and it is time. Im buddying up with Damien, the local board repair guy and fiber guru. He has loads of experience from composites, carbon, foams etc, but like me, never built a hydrofoil. Initially, i would like to run a few things with the expert panel here on KF, so we get off to a good start.
I am planning to build by foil roughly based on this design
. I have realised reading here that the precise millimeter detail in the design of the wings is not overly important for a beginner like me, as long as it is a low AR shape. However, things like flex, strength and torsional stiffness are indeed important.
When i contacted Damien to help me build, he immediately said, if we are going to build it we are going to build it in the best way we can. So instead of plywood we are planning to build the parts with 15mm Airex foam and carbon fiber. For the board i am not yet sure, but he has a lot of old surf and windsurf boards that we can salvage and modify.
I have a couple of questions before i start shaping the parts:
1. Is the above mentioned design a good one? Should I keep going or look for another design?
2. What approach should i have to attaching the mast to the board? A flat plate w 4 screws through the board or finbox type like tuttle box?
3. I am planning to travel with this, i spend my summers in Portugal. Therefore i intend to have the mast and the fuselage as separate pieces. What is the best way to attach the fuselage to the mast?
4. I have read here on the forums that the trailing edge should be positioned under the leading edge of the mast, to increase strength of the construction. Should i modify the above mentioned design like this, or is it not so important? If i do, should i simply maintain the measurements of the fuselage and just move the mast attachment point forward?
5. Damien says that with 3 carbon the thickness of the mast will be about 18mm total. Is this enough or should i aim to make it thicker?
6. Inserts. What kind of inserts should i get to attach the fins, the fuselage and the mast together?
Any other things we need to think about? I have an expert with me in terms of fiber and resins, so get complicated if you want
Photos of the build will follow, Damien has a great place here so this is going to be fun!
Thanks for any an all help!