Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil build - Cape Verde - From scratch, help needed

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:03 pm

I am using four of these which are Mast base nuts from a sailboard, they are slid into the track of the finbox and then the flat plate of the foils strut is bolted through the plate and into these. So , instead of bolting into wood strips like you were thinking of doing you bolt into these nuts which will slide allowing adjustment fore and aft. the foils mounting plate would be the same with both systems.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm

the center is for a tuttle mount so if they have 2 different foils they can use it for either. for the nuts I just had some flat nut made up. Like the long board fin nuts just alittle thicker and m6 thread.

thanks
terrie

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:48 pm

This is how it works , bolts go right thru into the nuts>>

AndKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Aaahh now i get it. Brilliant. I am sure Demian has that stuff, if not for longboards, then for windsurfing masts, as he is repairing windsurf boards all the time. Thank you, Problem solved!

Furthermore, as i wish to travel I need to be able do dissasemble the mast and fuselage from each other, otherwise i will not be able to fit it in a normal bag. Originally i was planning to make the fuselage separate from the mast, but i am realising that is both bad and difficult to achieve. my next approach is instead to have a 2 part fuselage, where the front part is built into the mast as a one piece, and then make an extension to put on the rear part, where the rear fin then attaches. See below quick drawing. All in metrics, im swedish =)
IMG_20150127_163732.jpg
#1 is where the extension is mounted on top of the fuselage. Measurements are approximate.

#1,5 is the same idea as #1, only the fuse is made smoother from TE of mast to the beginning of the extension

#2 is where the extension is mounted underneath the fuselage, otherwise the same.

What do you guys think of this idea? My main reasons for making it this way is strenght, and simplicity in joining 2 flat pieces together with screws, much like the wings are attached. Since there is much less force on the rear wing, i hope the structure will hold up.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Looks like a good idea to me. You could even build the fuse as one piece and then cut and bolt it together on a long diagonol. I want to make a foil that breaks down also, but I like the rigid mast/fuse connection too, good luck!

AndKite
Medium Poster

Postby AndKite » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:12 pm

tahoedirk wrote:Looks like a good idea to me. You could even build the fuse as one piece and then cut and bolt it together on a long diagonol. I want to make a foil that breaks down also, but I like the rigid mast/fuse connection too, good luck!
Thats an idea as well, but since i will be building with a wood core covered in carbon fiber, there will be an offset after adding carbon to the cut surface. Also more difficult to drill and make inserts.

will think about it. Thanks!

AndKite
Medium Poster

Postby AndKite » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Just some pics of the little progress i have made. Only woodwork so far.

Strut carvings

Strut and fuselage pieces

Not a perfect fit, but with epoxy+filler and then covered in carbon it should be plenty strong.

Putting the fuselage together, epoxy w some filler.

Demian doing his magic, fixing boards every day

Carbon...

I know, fuselage is short. only 50cm. But i will make an extension with the rear fin, so in total the fuselage will be around 75cm.

2 Finboxes ordered, the longest one, FU us-box 15inch (38cm) long. Also ordered M6 and M8 screws and nuts, my parents are coming down next week and they will bring all this.

Tomorrow im at it again!

AndKite
Medium Poster

Postby AndKite » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:10 am

Here comes an update on the build. Almost one month passed without being able to do much at all, but now i am back at it.

I have had stuff delivered to me so now i have stainless nuts and screws, 2x15 inch finboxes, and im starting to shape the board and laying some carbon.

Here comes some pics of today and yesterdays progress. 4 layers of 600g carbon has been laid on each side of the wood mast, the second side now curing. The carbon builds 3mm on each site, which will result in 3mm+13mm+3mm so a total thickness of 19mm. I will add some more, thinner, carbon later to finish off so probably around 20mm in the end.

Im pleased with how the shape looks, and it is great to have Demian to help me out with the layup.

Starting to lay first half, DIY support for the layup in the shape of an old metal profile from a shelf i think. Masking tape as release agent =)

First layer done, edges not trimmed yet. Peel-ply pattern is visible

Nice and trimmed

A nice and thick layer of carbon.

Laying second side, Demian showing how its done. Resin with some silica to make it denser.

The cuts. 4 layers of 600g on each side. 2 layers straigt/90 degree, and 2 layers 45/45 degrees. wood-90-45-90-45. No uni available, so normal weave will have to do.

Mr Mitu Monteiro stopped by to do some modifications on his f-one prototype. Cool to see a "real" hydrofoil live, not a lot of them around here. Two masters in one shot, Demian and Mitu =)

Next up: board re-shaping and fuse-strut-mount plate connection.

A big thanks to Revhed for helping me out with ideas, dimensions and do's and dont's!

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:21 am

A K,
Looking good!
Any chance to get more picts of the F-0ne proto as that style is the first I have seen?
For a while they were doing a Levitaz copy (thin SS fuse) and now it looks more like a Spotz copy,( Wings with molded ID fit into fuse connection system)
What mods was the proud owner doing and why?
Keep up the good work you should be flying soon hopefully!
RH

AndKite
Medium Poster

Postby AndKite » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks! I sure hope it gets stiff enough now! Demian is just shaking his head :D

Rev, you'll be pleased to hear that the overall dimensions seem very similar to what you adviced me, and especially the rear wing, as you can see on the pic, is similar to what you described to me.

He was just adjusting something with the fit of the parts, it had a ding on it. He was not to keen on me taking to many photos of it, so no more shots right now. Might get another chance later ;)

The finishing of the wings looked sweet, it had something which looked like flakes of carbon fiber, not sure what was used, no expert.

Return to “Hydrofoil”