Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are raceboards (formula) a thing of the past ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Are raceboards (formula) a thing of the past ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 am

Around here, hydrofoils have been present in really small numbers the last 3 years, but Formula raceboards (or freerace) were the thing used for light wind and race by almost everyone.

2014 and the hydrofoil craze killed the raceboards here in Denmark - how has it gone in your country ?

A lot of really cheap formula raceboards went for sale, and many bought them for almost nothing.

Even these freeriders, also want to get a hydrofoil instead, after having learned to ride their new formula board.
So eventhough both formula and hydrofoil makes excellent light wind options, it seems that non racers also dismiss the raceboards now ?

Maybe just around here, I dont know..

The KiteRacer forum, is it for formula racing or also for hydrofoil racing ?
I just checked the forum, and tons of activity a year ago - but almost silent now ?

Maybe no need for a hydrofoil racing forum ?
Or should it be this one ? I dont race myself, but can see a dilemma whether the kiteforum kiteracer is the place, or the kiteforum hydrofoil is ?

Just a thought :roll:

8) PF

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Are raceboards (formula) a thing of the past ?

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:18 am

for me the future of racing is hydrofoil. I guess the number of boards sold is 1 raceboard to 100 hydros? more?

You don't see any brands advertising for raceboards...but more and more brands are getting into hydrofoils.

Look at America's Cup...all hydrofoils now...so racing will be the same.

And yes, kite racer forum dead...hydrofoil forum lively as can be.

Time to adjust the race series, before no one shows up anymore. I don't see companies sponsoring the raceboard riders in the near future, but hydrofoil racers. Since there is money to be made with all the 40+ guys with money buying one of those...

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 am

A little over a year ago we had a very active racing fleet (on raceboards) and the only hydrofoil was mine. Now there are over thirty hydrofoils here and virtually all of us who race are on them. Most of the raceboards are sold or for sale or gathering dust. They do still make good light wind boards.

:wink: CG

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:32 am

They were the day IKA became involved.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:05 am

On the East Coast US, raceboards never caught on much. I think there was a small fleet in Florida. Now there are half a dozen races planned for this year, but still not very big.

I've heard some people argue that course boards are the only way kiteboarding could be in the Olympics (not that many people care anymore).

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 am

It is interesting to note that around here after a few months of everyone learning to ride the hydrofoils, the finishing order for racing hydrofoils is now the same as it was on course boards. The fastest guys on course board are also the fastest on hydrofoils.

:wink: CG

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:32 pm

I don't think they are dead but on their way.

Where I live, you will get far more time on a formula board than a hydrofoil yet I still have my formula board up for sale and will only ride a hydro this summer.

some people who found it hard to ride a formula board won't switch as they will find the hydo too hard..

time will tell I guess.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Not sure about what will be in Olympics.
But with hydros you can go so fast even in marginal winds...why choose race boards then?
They want action in any wind to make sure it happens at the Olympics...with hydros the chance is higher to have results.

But, it also depends on the type of race course...if boarder cross like I assume hydros will be too dangerous...it might even be twin tips again...

Future knows ;-)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Toby wrote:But with hydros you can go so fast even in marginal winds...why choose race boards then?
I think the reasoning is that Olypmics would likely be one design and course boards are easier to make a one design. A lot less variables than a hydrofoil.

From what I've seen, the difference in low end isn't huge from foils to course boards. Hydrofoils can definitely go in lower wind, but only about 1 knot less.
Tone wrote:Where I live, you will get far more time on a formula board than a hydrofoil
Why is that? Shallow water?

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby eree » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Around here, hydrofoils have been present in really small numbers the last 3 years, but Formula raceboards (or freerace) were the thing used for light wind and race by almost everyone.
2014 and the hydrofoil craze killed the raceboards here in Denmark - how has it gone in your country ?
A lot of really cheap formula raceboards went for sale, and many bought them for almost nothing.
Even these freeriders, also want to get a hydrofoil instead, after having learned to ride their new formula board.
So eventhough both formula and hydrofoil makes excellent light wind options, it seems that non racers also dismiss the raceboards now ?

Maybe just around here, I dont know...
well, question asked, question answered...
there is certainly not new young wave of foilers coming refreshing the sport with the new blood.
all who ever tried to compete on formula board now have acquired the foil boards and try to shave another tenth of the knot.
there will be no any real break through in this discipline any more. all of those that have happened was invented some long time ago for not kiteboarding purposes and already exhausted themselves in their fields.

you do know that high AR wings and foil water boards are known for years, right?

my advice, make bags and beach shadows out of obsolete but still crispy race kites and free ride boards out of "almost new" obsolete formula boards.
and certainly do not invest in foil bubble. because it is just that - the bubble
good luck at the olympics...

Return to “Hydrofoil”