Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4374
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Just an idea. See all these home builds and the lazy and cheap sides of me have been discussing it and were wondering if there aren't enough component parts already out there that just have to be put together by some mad scientist type. Windsurfing fins for front and rear wings. A kiteboard fin for vertical stability. Not sure what could be stolen to make a decent mast and fuse, but its a start on a component list for a Frankenfoil.

Go ahead, tell me this is stupid!

User avatar
matthepp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:51 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering
Location: Ridgway
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby matthepp » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Not stupid. In fact, it has been done. The hastyfoil: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hastyfoil/

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3953
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Starsky wrote:Just an idea. See all these home builds and the lazy and cheap sides of me have been discussing it and were wondering if there aren't enough component parts already out there that just have to be put together by some mad scientist type. Windsurfing fins for front and rear wings. A kiteboard fin for vertical stability. Not sure what could be stolen to make a decent mast and fuse, but its a start on a component list for a Frankenfoil.

Go ahead, tell me this is stupid!
Its stupidly expensive.

eg. $275 per fin
http://www.buyblackprojectfins.com/speed-fins/

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

You can buy asymmetric speed fins but they are expensive. Then you have to modify the bases so you can join them to the fuselage.

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2956
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby Laughingman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:16 pm

ronnie wrote:
Starsky wrote:Just an idea. See all these home builds and the lazy and cheap sides of me have been discussing it and were wondering if there aren't enough component parts already out there that just have to be put together by some mad scientist type. Windsurfing fins for front and rear wings. A kiteboard fin for vertical stability. Not sure what could be stolen to make a decent mast and fuse, but its a start on a component list for a Frankenfoil.

Go ahead, tell me this is stupid!
Its stupidly expensive.

eg. $275 per fin
http://www.buyblackprojectfins.com/speed-fins/

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

You can buy asymmetric speed fins but they are expensive. Then you have to modify the bases so you can join them to the fuselage.

Only expensive if you don't have stuff taking up space in your garage. Many windsurfers never sold their gear once they switched to kiting...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3953
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Laughingman wrote:
ronnie wrote:
Starsky wrote:Just an idea. See all these home builds and the lazy and cheap sides of me have been discussing it and were wondering if there aren't enough component parts already out there that just have to be put together by some mad scientist type. Windsurfing fins for front and rear wings. A kiteboard fin for vertical stability. Not sure what could be stolen to make a decent mast and fuse, but its a start on a component list for a Frankenfoil.

Go ahead, tell me this is stupid!
Its stupidly expensive.

eg. $275 per fin
http://www.buyblackprojectfins.com/speed-fins/

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

You can buy asymmetric speed fins but they are expensive. Then you have to modify the bases so you can join them to the fuselage.

Only expensive if you don't have stuff taking up space in your garage. Many windsurfers never sold their gear once they switched to kiting...
Most of them won't have 2 identical fins, and then you have to reshape one side of the fins and the base.

These fins change their profile to asymmetric when you put force on them.

http://www.smartfins.com/Technology.html

Edge19
Medium Poster
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:47 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: southend
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone Edges
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby Edge19 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:33 pm

hi starsky,

see my post below, Another home build. it works and its quick. Do it, if you want more details on how. let me know :D
Last edited by Edge19 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4374
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Expensive? no no no no. In my simple mind it would certainly be a garage sale situation. I'd keep my eye out for fin liquidations and buy two of the same. Be far more interested in a free ride set up so were talking swept free ride fins for the front and any old tiny speed fins for the back. Keep em symmetrical in their foil. Maybe sand a bit of shape out of the bottom. Pitch em into dyhedral and antihedral at their base and epoxy em together.

Big formula race fins are super pricey, but would be way too big anyway.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3953
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Starsky wrote:Expensive? no no no no. In my simple mind it would certainly be a garage sale situation. I'd keep my eye out for fin liquidations and buy two of the same. Be far more interested in a free ride set up so were talking swept free ride fins for the front and any old tiny speed fins for the back. Keep em symmetrical in their foil. Maybe sand a bit of shape out of the bottom. Pitch em into dyhedral and antihedral at their base and epoxy em together.

Big formula race fins are super pricey, but would be way too big anyway.
There are quite a few quad windsurf asymmetric fins.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4374
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby Starsky » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 pm

True dat. Their pretty new tech tho, might up the price. Tho I like your thinking.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3953
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Windsurfing fins as wings on a home build.

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 pm

It may be more difficult to find asymmetric fins that are big enough for the front wing but these are made of plastic and would maybe work fine for a rear wing (and they are relatively cheap).

http://4boards.co.uk/product/windsurf-f ... ic-1o-toe/


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lebast, Michaelr123 and 11 guests

cron