Style: foiling
Gear: Mantafoils kitefoils/windfoil/supfoil
Flysurfer kites
Brand Affiliation: Mantafoils.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are the straps really necessary?

Postby renaudbarbier » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Straps at the front for learning is what we found the best.
At least this is our customers feedback for the last 4 years

Full straps (3) is not recommended at the beginning.
Strapless possible but ads a bit of difficulty if you are not used to it on other supports

Soren Gabriel
Rare Poster
Gear: North rebel, griffin, Naish skater
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Soren Gabriel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:49 pm

RH I have seen your warning on using two straps as a beginner but I can't really figure out what is the problem about the rear strap. Maybe I have just been lucky until now ore maybe it is just lack of fantasy. Won't you please explain what might go wrong.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Soren Gabriel wrote:RH I have seen your warning on using two straps as a beginner but I can't really figure out what is the problem about the rear strap. Maybe I have just been lucky until now ore maybe it is just lack of fantasy. Won't you please explain what might go wrong.
In hydrofoil, the force between submerged foil and kite can be sudden and TREMENDOUS when running aground or wiping out. While learning, you can fall back (windward) and the foil will stay in the water resisting your fall until your foot comes out or doesn't :-( The back foot is at greater risk of injury due to falling/ leaning back/ weighting back foot.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Soren Gabriel wrote:RH I have seen your warning on using two straps as a beginner Won't you please explain what might go wrong.
More than that I recommend a front foot hook only to learn! Half cut even better!
I feel as a beginner one needs the correct front foot board placement position and the water start control a front foot hook affords.
It only takes once to get stuck in a strap to get hurt, done it myself and have seen and heard of it many times.
lieutenantglorp wrote:
. A submerged foil has tremendous leverage and that is why I prefer and encourage the use of foot hook. Better to enable the ability to be easily thrown clear in a wreck. :)

:thumb:
Not to mention how much less stress on your KBHF if you run aground.

My suggested list of safest to increasingly risky systems for LEARNING and maybe into the future for you and your KBHFs saftey.

strapless
Half cut NSI Klingon, Prediator or similar Front only foot hook, thanks to who suggested this.
Stock same as above
Half cut NSI Klingon front and back
Stock same as above
Front strap,s, only made worse if to loose or tight, and with booties?
Front and back straps
boots

I was and still am so shocked to have read here that so many around the world learn with front and rear straps, totally unheard of where I fly.
And most never use any rear system other than racers or jumpers.
I have never heard of or read about an injury from a crash using a front only foot hook set up, relating to getting stuck in it.
I have myself many years ago, and seen first hand, and read and heard of many stories of sometimes serious leg, knee, ankle injurys directly related to getting stuck in a strap,s during a crash, more so when learning.
Freak, random accidents can and will happen.
R H

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:02 am

Around here we have a few dozen hydrofoilers. Every one of them has learned with straps. There is one new guy trying to learn without but not making any progess yet.. I may be the only one here who has ever ridden much without straps but I have been riding with straps for over a year.

I am headed to La Ventana for the hydrofoiling gold cup next week where there will be a lot of competitors and they all ride with straps. Nobody would ride around a race course without straps. I have talked to some of the best hydrofoilers in the world who have never even tried strapless.

Around here we have seen some hydrofoiling mishaps and bumps and bruises but nothing related to straps. The main safety consideration beginners should heed is to wear a helmet and impact vest when learning. Learning to hydrofoil is not dangerous. Have fun and enjoy it.

:wink: Chris Glazier

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:09 am

Around here we have a few dozen hydrofoilers. Everyone of them DID NOT use a rear strap to learn, about half used a front foot hook only, and most do not still use any rear system.
See videos from Ketos, Alpine and posted info from "thekitefoil," no rear straps to learn.
Chris, respectfully,
Just because where you live guys are learning with straps does not make it safe.
Of course racers and jumpers need straps, I never said otherwise.
Sorry, learning to KBHF is dangerous using to loose or tight straps, much worse with booties, without them ( using a foot hook,s only) there is no risk of stuck foot syndrome.
Can one learn with straps and not get hurt, of course, but what happens in case of running aground
or random freak accident where foot, feet gets stuck and ankles and,or knees twisted?
R H

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:48 am

I've seen pictures of two foilers using the North Freestyle Fish deckpad system for foiling.
This is the 2009 version.

Return to “Hydrofoil”