Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

"flip-flop" and "snowboard" technology for beginners....

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

"flip-flop" and "snowboard" technology for beginners....

Postby kruzlifix » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:13 am

hi there

I am amazed that nobody picked up an idea which has been arround for quite some time.."mushroom" aka "flip-flop".

1) flip-flop or mushroom "footstraps" is the absolute simplest and safest way to keep your board in good position while waterstarting... and soon you don't need anything on your board at all....

2) in addition a snowboard typ board helps the beginner tremendously.... waterstart is much, much easier because the board sinks halfway in the water and its surface allows getting up like a piece of cake....

:bye:
andreas
Attachments
mushroom.JPG
flip flop
mushroom.JPG (151.53 KiB) Viewed 1876 times

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Re: "flip-flop" and "snowboard" technology for beginners....

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:36 am

Sprained/broke a toe by kicking the back of my leg coming off my foil in a spill. Still able to foil with straps and I have been while I wait for my foot to heal. It would be impossible for me to foil today with a "flip-flop" grip.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:39 am

kruzlifix wrote:hi there

I am amazed that nobody picked up an idea which has been arround for quite some time.."mushroom" aka "flip-flop".

1) flip-flop or mushroom "footstraps" is the absolute simplest and safest way to keep your board in good position while waterstarting... and soon you don't need anything on your board at all....

2) in addition a snowboard typ board helps the beginner tremendously.... waterstart is much, much easier because the board sinks halfway in the water and its surface allows getting up like a piece of cake....

:bye:
andreas
Assuming you jam it between your toes, it wouldn't work so well with booties. Is it not also a source for damaged toes?

Regarding the board, Spleene say that the 2015 Zone wave boards have inserts for attaching a foil, so that is one example of a snowboard technology foil board.

Boardriding Maui have shown that you can bolt a foil onto their Paipo and learn to foil.

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kruzlifix » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:51 am

hehe foilonfoil
too late for you!
flipflop high-technology is good for preventing ankle/foot injuries and not for healing!
andreas

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:15 pm

You are right, that a thin board that sinks is easier to waterstart, as it will be submerged somewhat longer typically.

But when learned, you will want the volume, as there is only cons with volume, regarding easier to get on a plane, easier to avoid an edge getting caught, easier to tack/jibe non foiling, easier to self rescue, and a stiffer thus faster board :thumb:

The mushroom might be a good idea, if you are very fragile/afraid.
Or foot hook(s) for the same thing.

But straps works great too, and they offer huge advantages on all levels :rollgrin:

8) PF

PS: The mushroom was discussed summer 2014 viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2384132&hilit=mushroom&start=20

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:34 pm

kruzlifix wrote:flip-flop or mushroom "footstraps" is the absolute simplest and safest way to keep your board in good position while waterstarting
I beg to differ, I think foot hook,s are much better.
As for a thin board you are most correct that for water starts it is easier to get it vertical, strut horizontal, and hold there longer, but after that as PF wrote the cons far out weigh the pros.
I think knowing P F that he ment to post "pros with volume" reading what he writes after that.
It is easy to see that other than LF who simply use a board not intended for foiling use (not enough nose scoop and volume) that all the other marks use boards with volume and nose scoop for many reasons.
For me rounded, thicker rails are just safer and much more user friendly.
R H

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kruzlifix » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:33 am

well, I know some kiteboard/ windsurfboard designer that believe for waterstarting and gliding the volume of the board really does not matter! somekind of a myth! look yourself at the "sucessstory" of the door....and I found the hydrofoil is much easier to handle on land (and selfrescue btw) than a more bulky and heavier board.
but again... I am beyond 60 and look therefore for safe and convenient ways to enjoy life and kiteboarding in general lol
br
a

Return to “Hydrofoil”