Custom wave boards
Naish Park
ASV
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite Foil Gold Cup Mexico

Postby Tfcm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:17 am

How good is it having it so close at the top!!! Those guys will drive the manufacturers to innovate and make better and better gear continually taking this sport to the next level... Cant wait for San Fran!! Hopefully ill be there :)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:25 am

I had heard rumblings that the sword 2 couldn't compete with spotz 2, but 2 different kites and two different foils tied for first is good to see :thumb:

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: But in some rules, a tie is determined by most 1st places, 2nd places etc.

And here Nicolas and Maxime both got 3 firsts, but Maxime has 3 second places against Nicolas's 2, so Maxime would have won by these rules (not taking the qualifying into account).
They usually count back who has the most firsts, and if they're the same then it's whoever won last. The system you mention does seem a little fairer. And so close. If anyone one of the top three had come one place above any other of the top three then the entire result would be different!

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 am

davesails7 wrote:I had heard rumblings that the sword 2 couldn't compete with spotz 2, but 2 different kites and two different foils tied for first is good to see :thumb:
Yes, this indicates that the eqipment for both foils and kites are offcourse important, and spotz2 and sword2 are at the top of the game - but it is still the rider who makes the difference.

Great that it is so, even though the class is open and everyone can bring the latest innovated protos.

:thumb:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:31 am

davesails7 wrote:Nico Parlier posted some GPS info on his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0338363789

15.8 knots VMG upwind in 8-10 knots of wind. 17.9 knots at 28 degrees to the wind :o

I hope somebody if filming this so we can watch it later!
sorry, what?!

He is going 28 degrees into the wind at 15.8 knots in 8-10 knots of wind...

That doesn't even compute in my brain!

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 am

To me this is what makes kite foiling so fascinating. It is the part of kiting that is evolving rapidly both in rider ability and gear technology. I am amazed that it seems F one have been able to enter the race foilkite market with a product that can compete with the R1. word is that the R1 is a significant step up from the Chrono. The Chrono already blows my mind. I can go out and buy a foil and kite that has more speed potential than I can probably ever tame. Guys are racing neck and neck at 30 knots in control. The skill of the top guys is incomprehensible to me.
Can't wait to see some video of this. It's good news allround. Let's just make sure this stays a development class as the spinoffs will trickle down to the recreational kiters in time.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 am

Slyde wrote:To me this is what makes kite foiling so fascinating. It is the part of kiting that is evolving rapidly both in rider ability and gear technology. I am amazed that it seems F one have been able to enter the race foilkite market with a product that can compete with the R1. word is that the R1 is a significant step up from the Chrono. The Chrono already blows my mind. I can go out and buy a foil and kite that has more speed potential than I can probably ever tame. Guys are racing neck and neck at 30 knots in control. The skill of the top guys is incomprehensible to me.
Can't wait to see some video of this. It's good news allround. Let's just make sure this stays a development class as the spinoffs will trickle down to the recreational kiters in time.
You like close finishes? :o :o :o

lezo
Frequent Poster

Postby lezo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:15 pm

Tone wrote:
davesails7 wrote:Nico Parlier posted some GPS info on his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0338363789

15.8 knots VMG upwind in 8-10 knots of wind. 17.9 knots at 28 degrees to the wind :o

I hope somebody if filming this so we can watch it later!
sorry, what?!

He is going 28 degrees into the wind at 15.8 knots in 8-10 knots of wind...

That doesn't even compute in my brain!
This is Nico:

That's better than any other water sail-craft upwind, for comparison AC72 polars left to right from races with low (12-14kts), medium (16-17kts) and higher winds (17-20kts):

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:17 pm

The upwind angle on those polars just doesn't make sense to me either, but Nico knows what he's talking about so I'll let him claim it. The 72's were routinely hitting 25 knots upwind in 15 without foiling, their VMG would likely be better. Also remember that the 72's were well over 40 knots down wind, sustained periods over 45 knots meant they were cavitating the rudders to the point that they would need to be fixed each night from the damage it caused! But I still don't think that there's anywhere cost the the $/performance ratio of a kite and hydrofoil. I mean they are just so good and there is so much development to do that they'll get faster.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:46 pm

Amazing angle to the wind from Nico, and VMG in such low wind :thumb:

Everything looks right seeing the polars.

And correct, even in less wind, Nico 8-10 knots it is said, and AC72 in 12-14, he is a 4-5 percent faster in upwind VMG (AC72 about 15.1 knots VMG versus 15.8 from Nico).

The AC72 goes 25% faster when the wind picks up, going from 15.1 to 19.1 upwind, but downwind going from 28 to 35 knots VMG, amazing with 35 as VMG !!!

But we havent seen Nicos polars in wind around 17-20 knots :o

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”