Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best relaunch in marginal conditions?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alpower
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best relaunch in marginal conditions?

Postby alpower » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:26 pm

I have a 14m Cab Velocity race kite that I fly on 40m lines in really light wind. The long lines give 2 benefits. You get a long power stroke which is almost always enough to get you up on foil and, when the kite does fall out of the sky it will usually catch the wind and you can down loop it before it crashes. I have been out in wind light enough that I had to keep looping the kite, to keep it in the sky, while putting the board on, and still managed to get up on foil. There are times when I do end up swimming though. If there is not enough wind to keep it in the sky, even with a lot of effort, there is zero change of relaunch.

Matt Air
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lakes in Dallas, TX
USA
Favorite Beaches: Have kited in Southern Brazil, Greece, Texas coasts, and Hawaii
Style: Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab Fx 9,12, Kitech foil kites 9m, 12m, Alpine foil, Xenon La Luz TT, cloud kite 5.5, 9m Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matt Air » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 am

My 12m LF solo is my kite of choice in light winds with foil board. It relaunches the best of any kite i have used. The 15.5 might even go lighter. I like the Nitro video by the way, really shows technique well.

TPink
Medium Poster

Postby TPink » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Matt Air wrote:My 12m LF solo is my kite of choice in light winds with foil board. It relaunches the best of any kite i have used. The 15.5 might even go lighter. I like the Nitro video by the way, really shows technique well.
agree its a good technique, but it's a standing start.

Deep water light wind starts are a different story, you have much less resistance to the kite to flip it and to launch it. Also your angle to the kite is right at the water level as apposed to being a couple feet off the water.

Would like to see the same technique/WS/Kite in deep water...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:46 pm

TPink wrote:
Matt Air wrote:My 12m LF solo is my kite of choice in light winds with foil board. It relaunches the best of any kite i have used. The 15.5 might even go lighter. I like the Nitro video by the way, really shows technique well.

Deep water light wind starts are a different story, you have much less resistance to the kite to flip it and to launch it. Also your angle to the kite is right at the water level as apposed to being a couple feet off the water.

So true, many of these "super" easy low wind relaunches are a bit, hmmm, not so much real life when talking wind between 5 and 9 knots in deep water ?

8) PF

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:13 am

For deep water relaunching in light wind I have found it best to immediately sit on your board (assuming your board is floaty enough) and then relaunch. Having both hands free makes it much better to either do a reverse launch (pull both back lines) or a normal relaunch (pull one steering line and the opposite front line) or a trailing edge down relaunch (pull both front lines hard).

When straddling the board with my legs dangling in the water, it provides some resistance and it seems more effective than if I stay swimming in the water trying to hold onto my board and relaunch.

:wink: CG

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
TPink wrote:

So true, many of these "super" easy low wind relaunches are a bit, hmmm, not so much real life when talking wind between 5 and 9 knots in deep water ?

8) PF
Is anything easy in 5 to 9 knots... If you go out in these conditions and expect to have any riding time at all I would hope you have the basics down, and since I know you do, why not share some of your experience?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 am

Rasmus Nygaard
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La punta

Postby Rasmus Nygaard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:05 am

cglazier wrote:For deep water relaunching in light wind I have found it best to immediately sit on your board (assuming your board is floaty enough) and then relaunch. Having both hands free makes it much better to either do a reverse launch (pull both back lines) or a normal relaunch (pull one steering line and the opposite front line) or a trailing edge down relaunch (pull both front lines hard).

When straddling the board with my legs dangling in the water, it provides some resistance and it seems more effective than if I stay swimming in the water trying to hold onto my board and relaunch.

Great advise! Will try that next time. I'm a bit worried that all my attention will be on balancing the board though. I find it is easiest to keep the board on my feet for resistance. The only thing is that I'm a bit worried about getting lines caught around the wings.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:57 am

cglazier wrote:For deep water relaunching in light wind I have found it best to immediately sit on your board (assuming your board is floaty enough) and then relaunch. Having both hands free makes it much better to either do a reverse launch (pull both back lines) or a normal relaunch (pull one steering line and the opposite front line) or a trailing edge down relaunch (pull both front lines hard).

Relaunch, sitting on the board.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:18 am

Pulling both rears to get the kite on it's side.

If you can use both hands, alternate pumping of the front lines and the upper rear line can help the kite get off the water. I found that using that method in water where I could stand, I could get my 09 Xbow 13m to launch in wind down to where it would only just sit static overhead.

It does seem pointless quoting wind speeds in these very light winds. The only way to compare kites would be to test them side by side in deep water without the board, swapping kites between similarly skilled kiters.

Return to “Hydrofoil”