Best kite for marginal conditions ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best kite for marginal conditions ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 am

Johhnn wrote:Peter_Frank:

I know, RevHed is where I got the idea of trying long lines. But I found, for me, that they weren't that great. Maybe in a spot where for many days you have the same, ultra light wind. For me, just keeping the 12 m foil on the standard lines (21 m) was fine.

I just can't imagine the lack of maneuverability with 50 m lines. But if it works for some, that's great! Agree: whatever works! And I'm always open to trying new ideas.
Agree, they simply feel "wrong" to me also (eventhough one can get used to "anything"), as many of us are used to our normal lines on waveboards or TT's.

30m lines are not that long, and pretty easy to get used to - I change now and then and have done it for a while, so it "sticks" better to me now, and both feel easy and you adapt fast.
In fact, I would almost say that 25-30m is "Normal" line length for hydrofoiling in light wind, for many, and works so much better, at least with LEI kites (you can go shorter with foil kites if not marginal wind)

At some spots you dont have any other chance for riding, than extreme lines though, but at a cost in terms of being practical and slow to maneuver.

Regarding the bigger wing, it is awesome for many reasons :thumb:
One being, you should be able to fly (keep the kite up) a smaller kite in less wind than a big kite of course.
So IF the kite, and here there is no choice, a foil kite, is able to pull you up on the board on the stroke/loop - then it is a home run.

Sometimes in extremely low and steady wind, the problem is to get up on the board - NOT if sufficient power to foil.
Assume most of us have experienced and know that, f.ex when being caught far away or out, and the wind drops - and we can NOT waterstart :roll:

But if we manage, maybe in a puff, we ride home quickly (without doing any risky stuff) with no problems because of the apparent wind

In this very scenario, I think a tad smaller foil kite (OR, a really good kiteflyer and not dead onshore wind), on somewhat longer or extreme lines, and a really big wing like the Ketos - will give you the very absolute wind minimum you are able to kitesurf :rollgrin:

So there is a delicate balance between hydrofoil wing size/lift and kite size and ability to waterstart - which are the 3 determining factors in terms of marginal hydrofoiling.

And of course a more practical one - IF you got side or sideonshore wind (or a boat), you can ride in even less wind, as you can fly the kite back and fourth to keep it in the air, and dont have to boarddrag (which is not possible IMO) out.

8) Peter

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Best kite for marginal conditions ?

Postby revhed » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 am

Unlike changing out wings (cost, if not diy) and kites, although friends can help here,
testing line extensions is not so costly and easy to do.
But I think those who might do this over look using a wider bar.
As I love to test, and as PF noted, I fly an old beloved 14m2 C kite, I found much better with 40m lines.
But needed in this mix is a 68 cm bar steering line attachments and the 5th line adjusted well.
I can do almost wing tip loops. with full bar throw.
200 lb power line on the steering lines may help as well as they are thinner.
I feel advantages are,
When getting out in the lite if your kite starts to fall at the edge a down loop will save it.
Loops to water start are big and slow if you want to fly them this way.
the sine wave can be flown with more Peak-to-peak amplitude
Higher up in the wind graident
All that said and to be directly on topic.
Having flown a 12m2 and 15m2 Chrono, but not other ram airs yet (hopefully)
A 12m2 R A kite, Chrono, Elf. FS, F-one with personal testing needed to find best line length, but would start with 35m
A much wider bar
200 lb powerline on the steering
When I flew the Chronos on only 27m it felt way to short and the edge of window bail out was not an option, I hate that, and not enough window for big slow loops.
But it sure kicked my kites ass big time!
Off topic
The Ketos 800cm2 F wing, so easy, less wind, bigger kite AND wing makes sense no?
I am jazzed to test my new 900cm2 F wing this afternoon although hope I did not go to big, but if so back to the shop to trim the T E.
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”